Today's Celebrity Gossip and Tragic Early Death Thread for Airwick with Cheese

Page Turner

As a teenager, Nyro often sang doo-wop in New York subway stations. As she later wrote, "I would go out singing, as a teenager, to a party or out on the street, because there were harmony groups there, and that was one of the joys of my youth. I mean you could just go out and sing. If I look back now, all these years later, I must have had a spiritual, holistic feeling from all of that."

In 1971, a 24-year-old Laura Nyro announced her retirement from the music business. "When I was very young," she said in an interview about her decision, "everything happened so quickly for me. I hadn't really contemplated being famous. I was writing music, I was just involved in the art of it at that young age. Then, when it all happened, I didn't know how to handle it." Her father remembered, "Laura was always very sensitive. She didn't like collaboration. She didn't like compromise. She was an artist, and she didn't like—hated—the show-biz part."

https://www.biography.com/people/laura-nyro-17178856

• Heart 1

Nyro returned to playing and recording music in 1976, with the album Smile. She continued to release sporadic albums over the next 20 years, writing and performing the music she wanted to write, often with strong feminist and pantheist lyrical themes, and playing occasional concerts in small venues. In 1978, she had a son, Gil Bianchini, the product of a short-lived relationship to a man named Harinda Singh. By the early 1980s, she had retreated to Connecticut with her son and her partner, painter Maria Desiderio. "Laura lived a woman-identified, goddess-driven existence," one of her close friends later rcalled. "Everything was about female energy, with the exception of her son."

Death and Legacy

Nyro was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 1995. Shortly after the release of her greatest-hits album, The Best of Laura Nyro: Stoned Soul Picnic, Nyro died on April 8, 1997, at the age of 49—the same age that her mother was when she had succumbed to ovarian cancer years earlier.

• Sad 1

I love Laura Nyro and you should too. She is one of the most underrated songwriters of her or any generation. She wrote this song as a response to the assassination of MLK, but it seems as appropriate now as ever. Because, if our country ever needed saving, it’s now. We’re gonna “lay that devil down.” Just read along, listen… dream — then resist.    http://blog.lareviewofbooks.org/arts-culture/music/old-songs-new-resistance/

....I remember this song as anthemic for my generation at the time it came out. Sadly, it appears she was only singing to the choir.:(

• Heart 1