Caramel corn

Parsnip Totin Jack

There is a guy down the alley that is jack of all trades and one of his gigs is kettle corn.  I have helped him make it a time or two.  That stuff is good right out of the kettle.  He does a mix of caramel corn, jalapeno and cheese.  Calls it Chicago mix up or something like that.  Really good!  

• Awesome 1

18 minutes ago, jsharr said:

There is a guy down the alley that is jack of all trades and one of his gigs is kettle corn.  I have helped him make it a time or two.  That stuff is good right out of the kettle.  He does a mix of caramel corn, jalapeno and cheese.  Calls it Chicago mix up or something like that.  Really good!  

In TX? He calls it Chicago mix up in TX? I’m surprised you let him live. Luckenbach corn sounds better.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I used to run the snack bar when my son played football.  I would hook up the kettle corn guy with drinks and he would give me a bag of kettle corn right out of the kettle.  Yeah soo freaking good when it’s freshly made.

Funny aside.... So after one game I was cleaning up the snack bar and one of the softball dads I know really well  is walking by maybe 20 yards away.  I ate too much kettle corn so tied off the bag and had a grapefruit sized ball of kettle corn in the bag.

So I figure I’ll scare this dad and chuck the bag at him except as I release, I see the bag is perfectly arced and has radar lock on him.  The bag comes down and drills him on the side of his face!!!!! 

Dad is stunned as there is nobody around him and he’s like WTF where did that come from.  He then sees me in the snack bar dancing around!!!

I still see him frequently at the LGS and he still compliments me on that shot 7 years later.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

6 hours ago, jsharr said:

My brother in law had the kettle corn business in your area for many years.  They use to go to a lot of the fairs and local outings.  You may have seen him, as he was very distinctive looking with a long white beard and black hat.  He died several years ago, and I am not for sure what happened to his business.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:13 PM, Airehead said:

why would you cut the amount of caramel?

It tastes just as good but half the calories. The original amount had two sticks of butter, one cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup corn syrup. I pared the ingredients down to 1 stick butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup corn syrup. You can't taste the difference IMHO.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

It tastes just as good but half the calories. The original amount had two sticks of butter, one cup brown sugar, and 1/2 cup corn syrup. I pared the ingredients down to 1 stick butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup corn syrup. You can't taste the difference IMHO.

I have been wondering where you have been lately, good to know you are consuming quality sugar!

If you can look past all of New Jersey's faults for one single thing, it is the caramel corn made by Johnson's in Ocean City (and maybe other places).  You show up and you get some hot from the pan, a little crispy - as sweet treats go it is one of my all time favorite things.

I've never tried making it myself - my guess is that it would be fun to do once, but I would remember the hassle of cleanup for a long time. :D

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Why don't you line the pans with tin foil? Is clean-up tough?

You can join the SW bake/cook & ship subscription team. The rest of us would love some tasty goodies!

Actually, foil makes clean up harder. Bake at 250 for one hour, turning every 15 minutes. The caramel sticks to the foil, tearing it when you turn it. I soak the pans for 5 minutes when I’m done. Leftover bits soften up and wipe away easy. The pot I cook the caramel in is harder to clean but I let it soak longer in hot soapy water. Cleans right up. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1