I think I found my next job

BR46

32 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Even at the top end of that scale, operating a vehicle and hiring help to move the large items will leave you with less than nothing.

I don't understand how uber and lyft drivers make any money.  Operating a nice newish vehicle costs roughly $.50/mile. They seem to really undercharge. (Don't tell them that!)

46 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Even at the top end of that scale, operating a vehicle and hiring help to move the large items will leave you with less than nothing.

I know a few people who thought that they were going to make a killing in owner - operator trucking. Two or three years later they threw in the towel with less money than they started with. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

I know a few people who thought that they were going to make a killing in owner - operator trucking. Two or three years later they threw in the towel with less money than they started with. 

My wife has a friend whose son ask her to lend him the money to buy a truck. She wisely said no.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, BR46 said:

Been there and done that. I was an owner operator during the late 70s and 80s. The way to make a small fortune in trucking is to start with a large fortune and work your tail off. The faster you work, the faster that large fortune will diminish.

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, jsharr said:

Do you know how to make a small fortune in furniture moving?

Start with a large fortune.

Jeebus!  "The way to make a small fortune in trucking is to start with a large fortune and work your tail off. The faster you work, the faster that large fortune will diminish."

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Jeebus!  "The way to make a small fortune in trucking is to start with a large fortune and work your tail off. The faster you work, the faster that large fortune will diminish."

I never read past the first post or the last post.  I am an asshat like that.

Rattlecan is a smart man.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I never read past the first post or the last post.  I am an asshat like that.

Rattlecan is a smart man.

I sometimes read past the first post, but rarely read anything linked. It is much more enjoyable to just make a bunch of assumptions.

• Haha 2