Big girls

Dirtyhip

Daughter plays the “Big” on her BB team. There is a girl that’s about 6-8” taller than her and outweighs her. But she is all fluff. Em is all muscle. Emmy outplays her every set. It’s all about aggressive play and foot work for bigs. 

It always fascinates me when coach calls for “Bigs on the floor”. Or “Big Girls”. I would have thought that in today’s PC world that would not be allowed. Oh well, Em doesn’t seem to be fazed by it. 

Here’s a pic of her scrimmaging with boys last night. She sent one to the sideline in tears ?

6AB570D4-3A16-4274-A392-626E750DF33E.thumb.jpeg.8d71f87c370d5065f9b744455d6d8a68.jpeg

• Heart 2

22 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Daughter plays the “Big” on her BB team. There is a girl that’s about 6-8” taller than her and outweighs her. But she is all fluff. Em is all muscle. Emmy outplays her every set. It’s all about aggressive play and foot work for bigs. 

It always fascinates me when coach calls for “Bigs on the floor”. Or “Big Girls”. I would have thought that in today’s PC world that would not be allowed. Oh well, Em doesn’t seem to be fazed by it. 

Here’s a pic of her scrimmaging with boys last night. She sent one to the sideline in tears ?

6AB570D4-3A16-4274-A392-626E750DF33E.thumb.jpeg.8d71f87c370d5065f9b744455d6d8a68.jpeg

Gender roles are interesting in sports and still extremely sexist.  Note the names of the male college teams and the female teams.  The ladies teams have inferior names and less backing.  It is bullshit.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Gender roles are interesting in sports and still extremely sexist.  Note the names of the male college teams and the female teams.  The ladies teams have inferior names and less backing.  It is bullshit.

It is getting better.  With travel softball as popular as it is, college softball is really gaining popularity.  I think softball is much more fun to watch than baseball.  It's a much faster game.  Louisville Lady Cards basketball is currently in the top 5.  (I think #2??).  We've been to Louisville to see a few games.  The place is always packed.  They just set a record for the most fans ever to see a women's college basketball game.  We met Asia Durr.  I told her thanks for being a great female role model for my daughter. 

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2019/01/31/louisville-uconn-sets-womens-basketball-attendance-record/2739076002/

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

WTF kind of video is lyrics only????  Probably some scofflaws way of avoiding paying Sia her properly earned royalties?

Good point.  I didn't think of that.  

Some people are all weird about Maddie and her performances in the Sia videos.  I think they are artistic and fantastic.  Some get weirded out by them.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Good point.  I didn't think of that.  

Some people are all weird about Maddie and her performances in the Sia videos.  I think they are artistic and fantastic.  Some get weirded out by them.

Maddie is the kid in the video?  She made me chuckle.  I can imagine they go through some of the faces to pull, and then just film away.

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I think it is sexist that women play with smaller balls than the men.  Everyone should play with the same size balls.

Most women's college teams around here are referred to as the "Lady ____".  As in the Lady Cavaliers, the Lady Monarchs, etc.  

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Maddie is the kid in the video?  She made me chuckle.  I can imagine they go through some of the faces to pull, and then just film away.

Yes.  She is the dancer in most of the Sia videos.  Watch Chandelier and Elastic heart.  Chandelier is epic. First time I watched, like, Who is this little kid? She blew me away.  Her fascial expressions are great.  She is a muse for sure.

24 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I think it is sexist that women play with smaller balls than the men.  Everyone should play with the same size balls.

Most women's college teams around here are referred to as the "Lady ____".  As in the Lady Cavaliers, the Lady Monarchs, etc.  

This is what I mean.  

There is the Hustling Owls, and then we have the "Lady Owls." 

?

Yes.  She is the dancer in most of the Sia videos.  Watch Chandelier and Elastic heart.  Chandelier is epic. First time I watched, like, Who is this little kid? She blew me away.  Her fascial expressions are great.  She is a muse for sure.

This is what I mean.  

There is the Hustling Owls, and then we have the "Lady Owls." 

?

Look up Bridgeport Texas.  The boys High School mascot is The Bulls.  The girls mascot at the same school is The Sissies.

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Look up Bridgeport Texas.  The boys High School mascot is The Bulls.  The girls mascot at the same school is The Sissies.

WTF?  Thank you.  You are wonderful.  This is helpful.

Me and a professor are teaming up on material for a gender roles in society class.  Excellent material.  

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

@Road Runner Why should women have to play with equipment that doesn't fit them properly?  

A slightly larger ball (the standard basketball) will not be a problem for the women.  I suck, yet I played with a standard ball.  The modern female athlete will have no problem with it. 

It is sexist to assume that women will not play as well with the slightly larger standard basketball.  

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

@Road Runner Why should women have to play with equipment that doesn't fit them properly?  

It seems to me that it would be easier to get a smaller ball through the same size hoop, so the smaller ball would be an advantage, as the hoop size does not change on basketball courts.    

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

A slightly larger ball (the standard basketball) will not be a problem for the women.  I suck, yet I played with a standard ball.  The modern female athlete will have no problem with it. 

It is sexist to assume that women will not play as well with a larger ball.  

I am not a basketball player, so I can't really say.  My assumption is that the ball is smaller to fit smaller hands.  They make them smaller for kids in the sport as well.  I googled.  

Just now, jsharr said:

It seems to me that it would be easier to get a smaller ball through the same size hoop, so the smaller ball would be an advantage, as the hoop size does not change on basketball courts.    

This is why the smaller ball was adopted for women.  To make it easier for them.  Sexist bastards.  

I am not a basketball player, so I can't really say.  My assumption is that the ball is smaller to fit smaller hands.  They make them smaller for kids in the sport as well.  I googled.  

So you think a woman needs a smaller ball like little kids do?  That's sexist.  

9 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

And what about tennis?  The men play the best of 5 sets.  The women play the best of 3.  Why?  Are women incapable of playing 5 sets?

Just more sexist crap. 

Tennis is only sort of applicable.

My wonder is WTF girls use oversized baseballs. Just odd. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

So you think a woman needs a smaller ball like little kids do?  That's sexist.  

I didn't say that.  I just mentioned that possibly the standard ball is really just hard to manage for a smaller hand. Not a player here.

Would you also say it is sexist that powerlifters aren't lifting the same amount of weight?  Our frames are smaller than men.

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Would you also scream it is sexist that powerlifters aren't lifting the same amount of weight?  Our frames are smaller than men.

That isn't the same thing at all.  A game is played with a given set of rules.  IMO, it is sexist if you change the rules to make it easier for either sex.  When my son played high school basketball, he was smaller than most women college and pro players.  He had to use the standard ball.  They didn't say, "You are smaller so you can use a smaller ball."  To change the rules to make it easier for a particular group based solely on sex seems sexist to me. 

Honestly, if I was a woman basketball player, I would want to use the same ball that the men use.  To use a smaller ball implies that the players are weaker and less capable competitors.  They are not.