Jump to content

MTB training camp


Parr8hed
 Share

Recommended Posts

Roadie training camp kinda sucked.  I mean it was an amazing experience for G, but it was cold.  Drivers are assholes.  I had to sleep on a couch.  Bla, bla, bla.

I just got invited by team to help host MTB camp.  We're going to the mecca of Brown County State Park.  I can bring my own camper.  I will cook breakfast for the team again (because that's what I do).  I can sleep in my own bed.  There will be camp faars and bourbon.  It is going to be so much nicer than roadie camp. 

  • Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Envious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



Just now, Parr8hed said:

Roadie training camp kinda sucked.  I mean it was an amazing experience for G, but it was cold.  Drivers are assholes.  I had to sleep on a couch.  Bla, bla, bla.

I just got invited by team to help host MTB camp.  We're going to the mecca of Brown County State Park.  I can bring my own camper.  I will cook breakfast for the team again (because that's what I do).  I can sleep in my own bed.  There will be camp faars and bourbon.  It is going to be so much nicer than roadie camp. 

You had me at "own camper" and "breakfast".

What time do we show up?

  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

Mt biking is way better than road riding. Traffic is not an issue on dirt or gravel. If you've got gravel roads near you, I'd ride that over pavement any day. His CX bike will work. 

mjtT7qdWa7fEXyqOWG9kyUna511FbEv2aErLyvOWVb4fp0YZUN5x7fsYVqug6CaZBYKWYjqbrcUxT__YiuzQinSKeR-9zrDvPNIS8lZjrfYv679b5mOYh5Tg9kqJqznPdx7q8YKXBilky-Yw81MSqyKJkOA69I2fQSUJhpUKyNRncNdHhRK6nKGxq08YpLuIVQZ8_jxEEejWptp8J2wBu2_EajREZPbEJi-6Vzp_5PVPDJBa5lT64bMqUNjdQyVdeau5xxql3YPDv_rTAEQfT6gl9CqpYUC7CFIV6hNggbE3xK-_mXopI_dJ2h99DviHrFHMQc2dDA7n-YPJzUyH3BL6Vhs94h-ggxdWFt8-t5B08dzgC2O3opKIFFW4VBiGIgBpovf9ktdgFwZ9oTf5-r1ILy1y3AFIOZQSg0aMI7j_behG9sIEBaS39vvJ2VToy7rIDmbFP6f8K04GjFuwOtWL4aBNdS-9DjovYhNtv1vff8prufsIf7dn4cH7E0o_6tzvKkizEkB1jDoPFZYes0B4Ko4B793apgzhinR8Y1VB1bpKIoixJ4gqr1UnXpRK4kFR9j60HOkEFq1dWyv3YaS4pQut2kf6PMkXbz866jq1pN0OsGQ8o_2Sge8i8jUB6QCp9yl0ghv2-cMZhgCHa6RsuOZBpnM=w1168-h657-no

We do have gravel semi-close.  I have never ridden it.  May try to find some this weekend.  We have some really good MTB trails close, but the rain is killing us this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Parr8hed said:

We have some really good MTB trails close, but the rain is killing us this year. 

We get standing water now even after a brief shower.  It is insane how saturated the ground is.  This is going to be bad if we go through another rainy year.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

We do have gravel semi-close.  I have never ridden it.  May try to find some this weekend.  We have some really good MTB trails close, but the rain is killing us this year. 

Rain sucks. I'll ride in snow and ice, but I don't like rain. It messes with my glasses. 

Gravel is awesome. It can dry fast after rain. Very little traffic. Hills are usually steeper and will give you a better workout. It's not technical. Good tires roll really well on it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dennis said:

Rain sucks. I'll ride in snow and ice, but I don't like rain. It messes with my glasses. 

Gravel is awesome. It can dry fast after rain. Very little traffic. Hills are usually steeper and will give you a better workout. It's not technical. Good tires roll really well on it.

I am going to have to look into this for long rides.  Thanks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We get standing water now even after a brief shower.  It is insane how saturated the ground is.  This is going to be bad if we go through another rainy year.  

Wait a minute. You're critical of snow and cold weather living. You'd rather deal with rain. That would suck for mt biking. Our mt biking season is amazing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

Wait a minute. You're critical of snow and cold weather living. You'd rather deal with rain. That would suck for mt biking. Our mt biking season is amazing.

I'm critical of RAIN too!  Last year was a 100+ year record for rain :(  I'm hoping climate change isn't making that the new normal, because I want my regular weather back.

I ride in the rain, though, but not the freezing rain.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm critical of RAIN too!  Last year was a 100+ year record for rain :(  I'm hoping climate change isn't making that the new normal, because I want my regular weather back.

I ride in the rain, though, but not the freezing rain.

Snow is better than rain.

Hvli5QQ6vFOSCOZ-IWEMN3DhE1rL_7t7AoEZ0LyC5qQXEiHGx_01qyCTN5q9QTK_IJRHt4w-VdCpqktiIxT05dtpyPSgh1amAuzMGYr5aLE8O4i-RJ1tDIrCOVXBKePNwZvr-dcx6aFyArz_aeHCJxM6IvYcHKoxTl3YBtxibY-DkVAGdW_HFBz2U8pOSbmtRmcjdij0oWGYUr6kam4Ggy7tUI1kP3_yQ4589dypBY_lSPZ-6lbY-O6Ro87IVoT2K_jU25XIT0gJtdB3bm-M2WlBxtKV9uIdCJn3K1C3UvdALHWUr4Uf5-PDZtyBCmUGJisD_KagI5AzmVq-Tf7HZ0DweH7CQwY-xaisbM-WUQocxLvP4gD-_bPUP9497GL_bY_ON11S8W6VL0nb0DV_KFw1roMFeDg1gV2rT-vP5yuQdfKTsqztlErriXOvqSKqQeMPKJYj5gImRnmIgsOqSXP_izBL9CJolLlCsEe9kn59aB4QChDhFAsc-2FJzu9i53TYyetMRWGFaItaBbqe_Jq-It4lhRe0bvTyZDPdPqSHMPEx1KboxIf9YdIc3foa859OMxNemP-E3jXEWdxdncZvT_3mzm0EwzZ5X_axY9JV1zwUbL6J8qtiDMEk4BTATTsN4DQ3Qs1-y6LzvSIm_5YOpwfHFRw=w1366-h403-no

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dennis said:

Snow is better than rain.

Certainly more attractive. We got snow yesterday - maybe 4"-6" - and I am hoping it will be gone by tomorrow. 54* today and 48* tomorrow, so it might happen. If not, the rain ? this weekend will clear it away for good. Supposed to be 66* on Sunday.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Certainly more attractive. We got snow yesterday - maybe 4"-6" - and I am hoping it will be gone by tomorrow. 54* today and 48* tomorrow, so it might happen. If not, the rain ? this weekend will clear it away for good. Supposed to be 66* on Sunday.

That sounds awful. We should see a storm this weekend. The Ghee could get a couple of feet of powder. Hopefully, the village will as well. They should hit 400" by Monday. 

We have snow predicted 2/23-3/7. Temps 13-32F throughout. Get after it.

VE17FWRjzPkD7UVVq8Y6clig09M_1sxX5RDw_1lBaIF34kt80tvAMskpFw3DWm2YmxqhBqwYbZAEYpkR1cxBCo5URrfGQhLeNuAymxL9YBkEpAd-g1Fo7fzVb0dlRsoA2YuMRgmCbl-N-MXd2x8fJyHEvJwdMfeSVm8PPKnzJYqdqpUT-hd5OJ_ZAI_yimN_fWJxUcUjPIJrULeTgqzw_7-yA7RtuWWvKahflz0u7lPOWmKsKi3NeEmChN6wSHy6PlDWb9lKlluBf69YfydvXheDsqB-AKUOlHt-jaNG4jHMh9AOAHbaq3yhMvG-Sij3pimxiblMdXAGYLQd6rUGGPw9-Pz0CbRL3ZGQWPnn8SfrJYV1mThhMlYnztASXAof2h_Sahg3F7lpCKJnPVnhynxJcR4Qiz33cy8_Ht68xUwn2AV8J1KSfQ2LCypEt9PPuJDBvFyNYur9FeqcHWRQLtwCpS1Aodas5I599KIEt1Z4M3129tD7kFhoEIa46FkkjhE3YLYExjuoHw7LpNQrf5gk5BJxYctw3n3VPUWEqIKOpqEIdPY-jASBK5rdN1q647U45S9lvGdEsyK5uJoOkh2TZvGMANT7wVlIDLg2AiK8Pk86LKmYlkUh51x1s7o6Zs8OWxloRG8mEFuKYT777jufg4mS1TI=w1168-h657-no

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Certainly more attractive. We got snow yesterday - maybe 4"-6" - and I am hoping it will be gone by tomorrow. 54* today and 48* tomorrow, so it might happen. If not, the rain ? this weekend will clear it away for good. Supposed to be 66* on Sunday.

I am hoping to do a long ride with the kid on Sunday.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dennis said:

That sounds awful. We should see a storm this weekend. The Ghee could get a couple of feet of powder. Hopefully, the village will as well. They should hit 400" by Monday. 

We have snow predicted 2/23-3/7. Temps 13-32F throughout. Get after it.

VE17FWRjzPkD7UVVq8Y6clig09M_1sxX5RDw_1lBaIF34kt80tvAMskpFw3DWm2YmxqhBqwYbZAEYpkR1cxBCo5URrfGQhLeNuAymxL9YBkEpAd-g1Fo7fzVb0dlRsoA2YuMRgmCbl-N-MXd2x8fJyHEvJwdMfeSVm8PPKnzJYqdqpUT-hd5OJ_ZAI_yimN_fWJxUcUjPIJrULeTgqzw_7-yA7RtuWWvKahflz0u7lPOWmKsKi3NeEmChN6wSHy6PlDWb9lKlluBf69YfydvXheDsqB-AKUOlHt-jaNG4jHMh9AOAHbaq3yhMvG-Sij3pimxiblMdXAGYLQd6rUGGPw9-Pz0CbRL3ZGQWPnn8SfrJYV1mThhMlYnztASXAof2h_Sahg3F7lpCKJnPVnhynxJcR4Qiz33cy8_Ht68xUwn2AV8J1KSfQ2LCypEt9PPuJDBvFyNYur9FeqcHWRQLtwCpS1Aodas5I599KIEt1Z4M3129tD7kFhoEIa46FkkjhE3YLYExjuoHw7LpNQrf5gk5BJxYctw3n3VPUWEqIKOpqEIdPY-jASBK5rdN1q647U45S9lvGdEsyK5uJoOkh2TZvGMANT7wVlIDLg2AiK8Pk86LKmYlkUh51x1s7o6Zs8OWxloRG8mEFuKYT777jufg4mS1TI=w1168-h657-no

Ho.  Lee.  Crap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I am hoping to do a long ride with the kid on Sunday.

Gravel centuries kick ass. 

 

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Ho.  Lee.  Crap.

The powder flu is running high this year. The locals are complaining about Ikon pass holders slowing down the lift lines. Parking is at capacity. I take the bus, but have hitched a few times. 

We are the king of snow again. Two years ago I think we hit 600". This year is on track for 500"

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dennis said:

That sounds awful. We should see a storm this weekend. The Ghee could get a couple of feet of powder. Hopefully, the village will as well. They should hit 400" by Monday. 

We have snow predicted 2/23-3/7. Temps 13-32F throughout. Get after it.

VE17FWRjzPkD7UVVq8Y6clig09M_1sxX5RDw_1lBaIF34kt80tvAMskpFw3DWm2YmxqhBqwYbZAEYpkR1cxBCo5URrfGQhLeNuAymxL9YBkEpAd-g1Fo7fzVb0dlRsoA2YuMRgmCbl-N-MXd2x8fJyHEvJwdMfeSVm8PPKnzJYqdqpUT-hd5OJ_ZAI_yimN_fWJxUcUjPIJrULeTgqzw_7-yA7RtuWWvKahflz0u7lPOWmKsKi3NeEmChN6wSHy6PlDWb9lKlluBf69YfydvXheDsqB-AKUOlHt-jaNG4jHMh9AOAHbaq3yhMvG-Sij3pimxiblMdXAGYLQd6rUGGPw9-Pz0CbRL3ZGQWPnn8SfrJYV1mThhMlYnztASXAof2h_Sahg3F7lpCKJnPVnhynxJcR4Qiz33cy8_Ht68xUwn2AV8J1KSfQ2LCypEt9PPuJDBvFyNYur9FeqcHWRQLtwCpS1Aodas5I599KIEt1Z4M3129tD7kFhoEIa46FkkjhE3YLYExjuoHw7LpNQrf5gk5BJxYctw3n3VPUWEqIKOpqEIdPY-jASBK5rdN1q647U45S9lvGdEsyK5uJoOkh2TZvGMANT7wVlIDLg2AiK8Pk86LKmYlkUh51x1s7o6Zs8OWxloRG8mEFuKYT777jufg4mS1TI=w1168-h657-no

Dennis you ever have a mechanical out there? Looks really cool. In the back of my mind would be breaking down there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

Dennis you ever have a mechanical out there? Looks really cool. In the back of my mind would be breaking down there

Usually just minor stuff. I carry tools, links, tubes, and shit to get me out of anything hopefully. I'm planning a bikepacking trip through a remote area. I have a satellite device with an oh shit button if needed.  Trying to figure out water and how to carry as much as possible. 

JayP warned us that you had better be in deep trouble to hit that SOS. You have the tools to get yourself out and stay safe. Know how to use them. He requires people to boil water early in his race to prove you can do it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...