MTB training camp

Parr8hed

Roadie training camp kinda sucked.  I mean it was an amazing experience for G, but it was cold.  Drivers are assholes.  I had to sleep on a couch.  Bla, bla, bla.

I just got invited by team to help host MTB camp.  We're going to the mecca of Brown County State Park.  I can bring my own camper.  I will cook breakfast for the team again (because that's what I do).  I can sleep in my own bed.  There will be camp faars and bourbon.  It is going to be so much nicer than roadie camp. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Envious 1

Just now, Parr8hed said:

Roadie training camp kinda sucked.  I mean it was an amazing experience for G, but it was cold.  Drivers are assholes.  I had to sleep on a couch.  Bla, bla, bla.

I just got invited by team to help host MTB camp.  We're going to the mecca of Brown County State Park.  I can bring my own camper.  I will cook breakfast for the team again (because that's what I do).  I can sleep in my own bed.  There will be camp faars and bourbon.  It is going to be so much nicer than roadie camp. 

You had me at "own camper" and "breakfast".

What time do we show up?

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

Mt biking is way better than road riding. Traffic is not an issue on dirt or gravel. If you've got gravel roads near you, I'd ride that over pavement any day. His CX bike will work. 

mjtT7qdWa7fEXyqOWG9kyUna511FbEv2aErLyvOWVb4fp0YZUN5x7fsYVqug6CaZBYKWYjqbrcUxT__YiuzQinSKeR-9zrDvPNIS8lZjrfYv679b5mOYh5Tg9kqJqznPdx7q8YKXBilky-Yw81MSqyKJkOA69I2fQSUJhpUKyNRncNdHhRK6nKGxq08YpLuIVQZ8_jxEEejWptp8J2wBu2_EajREZPbEJi-6Vzp_5PVPDJBa5lT64bMqUNjdQyVdeau5xxql3YPDv_rTAEQfT6gl9CqpYUC7CFIV6hNggbE3xK-_mXopI_dJ2h99DviHrFHMQc2dDA7n-YPJzUyH3BL6Vhs94h-ggxdWFt8-t5B08dzgC2O3opKIFFW4VBiGIgBpovf9ktdgFwZ9oTf5-r1ILy1y3AFIOZQSg0aMI7j_behG9sIEBaS39vvJ2VToy7rIDmbFP6f8K04GjFuwOtWL4aBNdS-9DjovYhNtv1vff8prufsIf7dn4cH7E0o_6tzvKkizEkB1jDoPFZYes0B4Ko4B793apgzhinR8Y1VB1bpKIoixJ4gqr1UnXpRK4kFR9j60HOkEFq1dWyv3YaS4pQut2kf6PMkXbz866jq1pN0OsGQ8o_2Sge8i8jUB6QCp9yl0ghv2-cMZhgCHa6RsuOZBpnM=w1168-h657-no

We do have gravel semi-close.  I have never ridden it.  May try to find some this weekend.  We have some really good MTB trails close, but the rain is killing us this year. 

Just now, Parr8hed said:

We have some really good MTB trails close, but the rain is killing us this year. 

We get standing water now even after a brief shower.  It is insane how saturated the ground is.  This is going to be bad if we go through another rainy year.  

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

We do have gravel semi-close.  I have never ridden it.  May try to find some this weekend.  We have some really good MTB trails close, but the rain is killing us this year. 

Rain sucks. I'll ride in snow and ice, but I don't like rain. It messes with my glasses. 

Gravel is awesome. It can dry fast after rain. Very little traffic. Hills are usually steeper and will give you a better workout. It's not technical. Good tires roll really well on it.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, dennis said:

Rain sucks. I'll ride in snow and ice, but I don't like rain. It messes with my glasses. 

Gravel is awesome. It can dry fast after rain. Very little traffic. Hills are usually steeper and will give you a better workout. It's not technical. Good tires roll really well on it.

I am going to have to look into this for long rides.  Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We get standing water now even after a brief shower.  It is insane how saturated the ground is.  This is going to be bad if we go through another rainy year.  

Wait a minute. You're critical of snow and cold weather living. You'd rather deal with rain. That would suck for mt biking. Our mt biking season is amazing.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

Wait a minute. You're critical of snow and cold weather living. You'd rather deal with rain. That would suck for mt biking. Our mt biking season is amazing.

I'm critical of RAIN too!  Last year was a 100+ year record for rain :(  I'm hoping climate change isn't making that the new normal, because I want my regular weather back.

I ride in the rain, though, but not the freezing rain.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, dennis said:

Snow is better than rain.

Certainly more attractive. We got snow yesterday - maybe 4"-6" - and I am hoping it will be gone by tomorrow. 54* today and 48* tomorrow, so it might happen. If not, the rain ? this weekend will clear it away for good. Supposed to be 66* on Sunday.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Certainly more attractive. We got snow yesterday - maybe 4"-6" - and I am hoping it will be gone by tomorrow. 54* today and 48* tomorrow, so it might happen. If not, the rain ? this weekend will clear it away for good. Supposed to be 66* on Sunday.

That sounds awful. We should see a storm this weekend. The Ghee could get a couple of feet of powder. Hopefully, the village will as well. They should hit 400" by Monday. 

We have snow predicted 2/23-3/7. Temps 13-32F throughout. Get after it.

VE17FWRjzPkD7UVVq8Y6clig09M_1sxX5RDw_1lBaIF34kt80tvAMskpFw3DWm2YmxqhBqwYbZAEYpkR1cxBCo5URrfGQhLeNuAymxL9YBkEpAd-g1Fo7fzVb0dlRsoA2YuMRgmCbl-N-MXd2x8fJyHEvJwdMfeSVm8PPKnzJYqdqpUT-hd5OJ_ZAI_yimN_fWJxUcUjPIJrULeTgqzw_7-yA7RtuWWvKahflz0u7lPOWmKsKi3NeEmChN6wSHy6PlDWb9lKlluBf69YfydvXheDsqB-AKUOlHt-jaNG4jHMh9AOAHbaq3yhMvG-Sij3pimxiblMdXAGYLQd6rUGGPw9-Pz0CbRL3ZGQWPnn8SfrJYV1mThhMlYnztASXAof2h_Sahg3F7lpCKJnPVnhynxJcR4Qiz33cy8_Ht68xUwn2AV8J1KSfQ2LCypEt9PPuJDBvFyNYur9FeqcHWRQLtwCpS1Aodas5I599KIEt1Z4M3129tD7kFhoEIa46FkkjhE3YLYExjuoHw7LpNQrf5gk5BJxYctw3n3VPUWEqIKOpqEIdPY-jASBK5rdN1q647U45S9lvGdEsyK5uJoOkh2TZvGMANT7wVlIDLg2AiK8Pk86LKmYlkUh51x1s7o6Zs8OWxloRG8mEFuKYT777jufg4mS1TI=w1168-h657-no

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I am hoping to do a long ride with the kid on Sunday.

• Heart 1

Just now, dennis said:

That sounds awful. We should see a storm this weekend. The Ghee could get a couple of feet of powder. Hopefully, the village will as well. They should hit 400" by Monday. 

VE17FWRjzPkD7UVVq8Y6clig09M_1sxX5RDw_1lBaIF34kt80tvAMskpFw3DWm2YmxqhBqwYbZAEYpkR1cxBCo5URrfGQhLeNuAymxL9YBkEpAd-g1Fo7fzVb0dlRsoA2YuMRgmCbl-N-MXd2x8fJyHEvJwdMfeSVm8PPKnzJYqdqpUT-hd5OJ_ZAI_yimN_fWJxUcUjPIJrULeTgqzw_7-yA7RtuWWvKahflz0u7lPOWmKsKi3NeEmChN6wSHy6PlDWb9lKlluBf69YfydvXheDsqB-AKUOlHt-jaNG4jHMh9AOAHbaq3yhMvG-Sij3pimxiblMdXAGYLQd6rUGGPw9-Pz0CbRL3ZGQWPnn8SfrJYV1mThhMlYnztASXAof2h_Sahg3F7lpCKJnPVnhynxJcR4Qiz33cy8_Ht68xUwn2AV8J1KSfQ2LCypEt9PPuJDBvFyNYur9FeqcHWRQLtwCpS1Aodas5I599KIEt1Z4M3129tD7kFhoEIa46FkkjhE3YLYExjuoHw7LpNQrf5gk5BJxYctw3n3VPUWEqIKOpqEIdPY-jASBK5rdN1q647U45S9lvGdEsyK5uJoOkh2TZvGMANT7wVlIDLg2AiK8Pk86LKmYlkUh51x1s7o6Zs8OWxloRG8mEFuKYT777jufg4mS1TI=w1168-h657-no

Ho.  Lee.  Crap.

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I am hoping to do a long ride with the kid on Sunday.

Gravel centuries kick ass. 

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Ho.  Lee.  Crap.

The powder flu is running high this year. The locals are complaining about Ikon pass holders slowing down the lift lines. Parking is at capacity. I take the bus, but have hitched a few times. 

We are the king of snow again. Two years ago I think we hit 600". This year is on track for 500"

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, dennis said:

Dennis you ever have a mechanical out there? Looks really cool. In the back of my mind would be breaking down there

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

Dennis you ever have a mechanical out there? Looks really cool. In the back of my mind would be breaking down there

Usually just minor stuff. I carry tools, links, tubes, and shit to get me out of anything hopefully. I'm planning a bikepacking trip through a remote area. I have a satellite device with an oh shit button if needed.  Trying to figure out water and how to carry as much as possible. 

JayP warned us that you had better be in deep trouble to hit that SOS. You have the tools to get yourself out and stay safe. Know how to use them. He requires people to boil water early in his race to prove you can do it. 

• Heart 1