What is the purpose of the blues?

Randomguy

The Blues came about from a collision of musical styles.

"The blues has deep roots in American history, particularly African-American history. The blues originated on Southern plantations in the 19th Century. Its inventors were slaves, ex-slaves and the descendants of slaves—African-American sharecroppers who sang as they toiled in the cotton and vegetable fields. It's generally accepted that the music evolved from African spirituals, African chants, work songs, field hollers, rural fife and drum music, revivalist hymns, and country dance music..."

Oh, you meant the blues... all herd animals get the blues. But they don't all get to sing about it.

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, Dottles said:

What i need is somebody like Latte to tell me about what the blues are.  Do you think anybody in this forum can make this happen?

Among the members of the Amalgamated Union of Philosophers, Sages, Luminaries and Other Thinking Persons , we call that a deja boo boo.

4 hours ago, late said:

The Blues came about from a collision of musical styles.

"The blues has deep roots in American history, particularly African-American history. The blues originated on Southern plantations in the 19th Century. Its inventors were slaves, ex-slaves and the descendants of slaves—African-American sharecroppers who sang as they toiled in the cotton and vegetable fields. It's generally accepted that the music evolved from African spirituals, African chants, work songs, field hollers, rural fife and drum music, revivalist hymns, and country dance music..."

Oh, you meant the blues... all herd animals get the blues. But they don't all get to sing about it.

I saw an interesting piece on PBS a month ago that took it back further.  It showed the inter-marrying and forced slavery of both the Africans and Native Americans influence on the development of blues.  It traced blues development across the south from N.O. to Memphis to N Carolina and the Native American influence.  

• Awesome 1

42 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I saw an interesting piece on PBS a month ago that took it back further.  It showed the inter-marrying and forced slavery of both the Africans and Native Americans influence on the development of blues.  It traced blues development across the south from N.O. to Memphis to N Carolina and the Native American influence.  

I'll watch for a rerun.

4 hours ago, late said:

Among the members of the Amalgamated Union of Philosophers, Sages, Luminaries and Other Thinking Persons , we call that a deja boo boo.

I am not taking the bait.  I admit you're fun to mess with, Latte.  I mean really fun.  But I am committed to running a clean program over here.

So.... why don't you tell me about the blues. 

7 hours ago, Dottles said:

I am not taking the bait.  I admit you're fun to mess with, Latte.  I mean really fun.  But I am committed to running a clean program over here.

So.... why don't you tell me about the blues. 

I already did.

If you have something to actually say, I'll respond to it. Won't hold my breath...

It was 68, the year I got my own record player, one of the LPs I bought that year was the Thrill is Gone.

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Despite the warning, I am going to post here.

Blues makes other music seem "better".  Not quite as much as jazz does or country, but close.

You don't like the blues, jazz, or country? That is sad.  I would argue jazz is the purest form of American art. Billie Holiday was the best vocalist of all time. Monk, Ellington, Miles, Dizzy. F'ing geniuses, all of them.

And then you've got Tap. Maybe that is the extent of your jazz knowledge.

• Haha 1