I think I would lose any fight I got in now

Randomguy

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Well, almost any. 

Were you ever a ruffian?

I got into numerous scraps but most were on duty.  The odds were heavily stacked in my favor as I had a stick, gun and hand cuffs.

One off duty fight was with a big Mic from Boston and fortunately others broke it up before it really got out of hand. I gave as good as I got but probably would have lost that one.

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Well, almost any. 

Were you ever a ruffian?

I was never a ruffian but, living in a rough neighborhood, I learned an important lesson from my ex-Darby's Ranger father that if you defend yourself by attacking your attacker, you get a reputation and you don't get picked on. Otherwise you gain a reputation as an easy mark and can expect a lot of bullying. That is an important lesson if you're skinny and not physically imposing!

I got beat up by a kid named Ralph when I was about 12 years-old and came home crying to my father. He asked, "Did you fight back?"

I answered, "No," and he added, "If you get beaten up again and don't fight back, I'll hit you, too!"

The next time Ralph picked on me I planted a fist into his face as hard as I could throw it.  He still got the better of me.

I went home and soon there was a knock on the door. It was Ralph, holding an ice pack over his eye. He said his mother told him he had to apologize to me!

Ralph never bothered me again and we became friends.  I learned that if the bad asses know they can beat you but they'll suffer for doing it they won't bother you.

When I got to high school, I had a few fights that I mostly lost - and Thank God fights weren't as vicious as they are now, and soon no one bothered me: I didn't scare them but I was too much of a bother to bother! There were times I was terrified, like when I intervened when a girl's ex-boyfriend wanted to beat up my cousin for dating her, but every time I did so, the guy glared at me and backed down.  By the time I had my football and track letters and was in the Varsity Club, most of the bad asses had my back and I was never in a fight again.

I didn't have any kids to pass that philosophy down to and it wasn't necessary with my nephews, both of whom are bigger and stronger than most of their age group so we're lucky they are not bullies themselves.

A couple of fights.  I got in a semi benign fight in grade school.  I got in a significantly larger fight in my early twenties.  I got a few good punch connects and she pulled my hair and tried kicking me.  Our boyfriends pulled us apart,  Always been feisty here.  She stole money from me as a roomie. I called her a thief.  She said say that again and I will kick your ass.  I said it again and said "You are a Fing thief."  Then it was on.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, MickinMD said:

fights weren't as vicious as they are now

I truly believe that this is true.  US and A is now a more vicious country than it was, and fighting with a bit of honor or restraint seems to be gone for the most part.  

I blame immigrants primarily for this, but hear me out.   I think a lot of them came from significantly more violent countries and group attacks and robberies were a lot more commonplace, so carrying a knife for defense is a solid strategy.  Add to that that quite a few immigrants ended up in the marry-your-cousin-but-bang-your-sister states where the locals don't like anyone that isn't them and outweigh and outnumber the immigrants, and you have to have weapons and be a bit vicious.

Now you have people in charge who think it is ok to blame everything on the immigrants and physical attacks on them are warranted, and you have a worried, vicious, and fired up population of immigrants with foxhole mentalities.  Not good, I don't see this changing.

• Whatever 1

I grew up an undersized guy in rural, often redneck territory. My dad taught us some boxing skills to defend ourselves. I only had to use them a couple times. I preferred not to get myself into such situations, if possible. 

I remember one where a guy wanted to pick a fight. I tried to walk away, but he threw a punch. I punched back and landed a good one. He got mad and kicked at me. I grabbed his heel and flipped him into the sandburrs and thorns that covered the field we were in. He screamed, stood up and kicked again and I flipped him again. He was covered in stickers and thorns and ran home screaming. 

The few others were a punch or 2 and they were done because I stood my ground. 

• Heart 1

A few in Jr. High School. I knocked out a tooth of a kid who was bullying me on the bus one afternoon. Most of the bullying stopped after that.

I played hockey & lacrosse in HS & college. Anytime you're playing full contact sports with sticks, misunderstandings are likely to occur. Fights, while not encouraged, were lightly disciplined.

In adulthood, I took 10 years of Taekwondo. I can handle myself.

Circa 2009, I got into a small tussle with a guy who almost ran me over as I was coming out of the grocery store. I wrote about it in the old (I think) forum That's the last time I went toe to toe

5 minutes ago, 2Far said:

A few in Jr. High School. I knocked out a tooth of a kid who was bullying me on the bus one afternoon. Most of the bullying stopped after that.

I played hockey & lacrosse in HS & college. Anytime you're playing full contact sports with sticks, misunderstandings are likely to occur. Fights, while not encouraged, were lightly disciplined.

In adulthood, I took 10 years of Taekwondo. I can handle myself.

Circa 2009, I got into a small tussle with a guy who almost ran me over as I was coming out of the grocery store. I wrote about it in the old (I think) forum That's the last time I went toe to toe

:lol:  When I returned from the Navy after 2 enlistments served in the south I had lost virtually all my speed and played as a right defenseman in the UCONN student league and another adult league.  Sticks were used creatively but it was still mostly pushing and shoving after the gloves dropped.