Do you have a storage unit?

Randomguy

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

It’s my garage

Yep.  Bikes, bike stuff, camping stuff, car stuff, tools, more stuff. It is a "garage" in name only nowadays, but if I had to, I could get my wife's car in there after about 30 minutes rearranging stuff like hanging the bikes on the walls which I rarely do anymore.

My employer also has a self storage place.  He calls it his retirement plan. Two hundred plus units times on average, $65 per month equals ?.

It seems most people rent them as a temporary solution, then wind up keeping them for years because its easier to write a check then clean them out. Some are hoarders and have several units. Some people stop paying rent and leave their crap. Sometimes I get stuck having to help clean them out. I cant imagine paying rent for years to store old Christmas decorations, worn out Walmart type furniture, musty mattresses, clothes and broken toys. I have dibs on all the car ice scrapers found, and even snarfed a nice doggie travel kennel once. B)  

• Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, team scooter said:

My employer also has a self storage place.  He calls it his retirement plan. Two hundred plus units times on average, $65 per month equals ?.

It seems most people rent them as a temporary solution, then wind up keeping them for years because its easier to write a check then clean them out. Some are hoarders and have several units. Some people stop paying rent and leave their crap. Sometimes I get stuck having to help clean them out. I cant imagine paying rent for years to store old Christmas decorations, worn out Walmart type furniture, musty mattresses, clothes and broken toys. I have dibs on all the car ice scrapers found, and even snarfed a nice doggie travel kennel once. B)  

Good plan!

He doesn't auction them off like on TV??

Just now, 2Far said:

Good plan!

He doesn't auction them off like on TV??

Nope. If there is anything of real value, he'll grab it and put it in his personal unit before he sends us out to clean out the rest. Once he gets enough stuff. he'll have a yard sale on the site to sell it.. Also I think before the renters abandon them, they clean out anything worth keeping themselves. 

I do not rent one. If my apt gets too cluttered, I start selling or giving things away. 

I knew a guy who would buy the contents at auction. He said it was a lot of junk that you had to haul away pronto. He once found a new car engine that was behind the junk. I think he told me he sold it for about $4k.

At the barber recently, one of the guys getting his hair cut told the story of his storage lockers. He owns a facility. He followed an extension cord into one of the units. He found a guy shaving and asked him what he was doing. The guy was living in the locker. He had a pretty nice set up. He said he couldn't find a place to live so this fit the bill. The owner told him he had to move out. The poor guy was disappointed.