Young parent(s) then & now

shootingstar

It's well written defense of a young mother who is now 18 (she had her child at 15) :  https://www.cbc.ca/parents/learning/view/im-not-a-teenager-with-a-baby-im-a-mother

How old were you (if you're female) or your wife/ex who had the first child?  

I remember I used to be embarrassed as a young teen, telling others that my mother was 25 yrs. old when she had her lst child (me)...then 5 other kiddies shortly.  Some of my closest school pals' mothers had their lst child at 18.  I thought long ago, that seemed "normal" or at least early 20's.

I

14 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

My wife had our daughter at 23. I think everything included, cost $400 at the time.

I didn't even know you had children, sheepherder.  Some men are different:  some of the long time cycling advocates in Vancouver had no idea dearie has 2 adult children, of which 1 lives in Vancouver.  Some socialize differently on what they want to even mention even briefly.

I'm not sure there is really a cost in the provinces where I've lived,  except for hospital bed stay beyond the normal stay (ie. 2 days or less, just going by my sisters' pregnancies and when I would visit to see newly born baby nieces, nephews).  

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

I didn't even know you had children, sheepherder.  Some men are different:  some of the long time cycling advocates in Vancouver had no idea dearie has 2 adult children, of which 1 lives in Vancouver.  Some socialize differently on what they want to even mention even briefly.

Seldom mention her, as she passed at 13 yo.

• Sad 10

21 hours ago, ChrisL said:

My wife was 23 as well.  We were definately the younger parents in school groups, pta boosters & such with her.  She was 28 with our son and most parents were of similar age during his pta, boosters & such.

People are waiting longer now a days to have kids.

Yea, my youngest sister had her lst kid @38 yrs.,  2nd @40 yrs.  On the other end, another sister (who is no longer alive) had her lst @26 yrs.

So my eldest niece is 32 yrs. and youngest nephew from another sister is 8 yrs. old.  None of these children are from 2nd marriages.

However this type of stuff is bound to happen in big families where there is a noticeable age range difference.

I had a lot of former high school students visit the school to show-off babies - usually those who got married right after high school.  In most cases there was no problem: the husband usually had a steady job (fireman, etc.) and if they wanted to start a family early, so be it.