How do you get your news?

maddmaxx

I just finished taking a survey on one of my news sites concerning how I wanted to get my news, specifically my "news alerts".  I told them that I didn't want "news alerts".

During the survey I found that I'm probably a bit old fashoned  :lol:  prefering to find my own news by reading it rather than by video from sites that look a bit more like newspapers than top 10 utube collections.  When I find an interesting bit of news I usually go looking for more articles on the subject that help clear up where, what, when and why the original story happened.

Do you get your news this way?  Do you prefer videos or in depth articles? What do you use for news sources and follow up stories?  

This place actually does a good job of bringing oot the highlights, but sometimes it can be too subtle, like seeing Peter Tork as RGs avatar, then I heard on the news that he had died and only then made the connection.  I recently started watching the 6:30 news after decades of avoiding it like SW.  I think it was aboot when I turned 62.5 or so. :D I still hate the drug commercials and the sensationalism and the horribly long commercial breaks, but what the heck.  And it makes a good lead-in to Jeopardy.

• Awesome 1

Like Ralph...sometimes...I hear it here....first. However...I open several news sites and just read the headlines during the day...most often our local news but national too..could be once or 3 times depending on how busy I am at work.  I do listen to a good 45 minutes of public radio most days on my commute...however...somedays...I listen to the current or classical mpr instead.

I catch the local on tv in the morning while having breakfast...and the only reason I may wait for the 9 or 10pm news is for the forecast...  When I am working out...I don't get home for the 5/6pm news stuff...

I don't want any news "alerts"

I don't watch the vids because I can read at least 4 times faster than they can talk.

I read a spectrum of sources from CNN on one end to Fox on the other. I find the NY Post & NY Daily News to be equally excoriating.

Wo2 & I watch the recorded local and national news almost every night. With the FF button, we can skip the mind-numbing political crap.

I HATE websites that play videos in a news story.  I prefer to READ a story on the computer.

But source wise, the Big Three are WSJ, WaPo, and NYT.  Then it is Google news in general which is nice because they often have a half dozen sources for the same topic, so you can triangulate on the issue a bit. Finally, on TV, PBS News Hour and PBS Nightly Business Report are a nice 1 1/2 hour of informative issues and discussion.

CNN, MSNBC, & Fox are a bit too filled with hype to be accurate gauges of news.  Fun for starting a P&R topic, but less so for actual understanding of an issue.

• Heart 1

I start the morning with the Guardian and Huffpo. I check in on Asia Times every couple days, and I get the weekly The Economist. I usually watch a Rachel Maddow or Morning Joe over breakfast, although sometimes they don't cut the mustard.

I have several other sites I look at when the mood strikes, RCP, SciAm, Evonomics, Brad Delong's blog, Lawfare, etc.

12 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I HATE websites that play videos in a news story.  I prefer to READ a story on the computer.

But source wise, the Big Three are WSJ, WaPo, and NYT.  Then it is Google news in general which is nice because they often have a half dozen sources for the same topic, so you can triangulate on the issue a bit. Finally, on TV, PBS News Hour and PBS Nightly Business Report are a nice 1 1/2 hour of informative issues and discussion.

CNN, MSNBC, & Fox are a bit too filled with hype to be accurate gauges of news.  Fun for starting a P&R topic, but less so for actual understanding of an issue.

I find it more efficient to read a news story...since I can choose to skim.

Usually the morning news for weather (and I pick up a number of the big stories then).  Once i get to work I scan some websites - mainly the online versions of newspapers.  For breaking news, someone at work usually shouts out "did you hear________?"