Winsor shares on VG

Dirtyhip

It doesn't seem that these funds are worth the risk for the high expense.  VWNAX Windsor shares carry an expense ratio of .26%   It is a managed fund.  However, it seems that a lower expense ratio in admirals like VTSAX, VTINX, and the like in a mix of markets.  I feel that just buying index for the broad market over time makes more sense than a managed fund with such a high expense.

Have any of you used a managed fund?  I have had great luck with just normal admiral shares with low cost and buying constantly over time.  I was just wondering if anyone has had luck with managed funds.  

?

42 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

4000 feet.  The new one should be about 1800 ft.

Great! Now we can return to the financial stuff.  So, at what point do you convert from money in markets and currency into physical property of value (guns, ammo, old, food, gasoline, propane, a bunker)?

I was in a managed fund for a while. I don't remember what is was. Relatively high expense ratio (in the 1% range) plus a back end charge to exit. Ouchie.  Before you could look up a lot of info on internet. You had to go to the library and pull out the Morningstar. Which wasn't happening for me. I let it sit there for about 10 years without adding anything then pulled it all out as the business needed it (Great Recession)

Windsor expense ratio is .31%. Which is a lot higher than Total stock Market .04%. Looks like Windsor got hit hard in the 4th quarter sell offs as their 1 year results suck. But they caught some updraft in the January rally. Looks like a NASDAQ composite beat Windsor pretty significantly over 10 years. By almost 25%. Total Stock market beat Windsor by 11% over last 10 years

I just like to have my stuff easy. So I moved towards VTSAX since late 90's. We have a total Bond fund, a dividend fund & a International fund. I see no reason to go into managed funds. I am actually thinking of ditching the international too

you do you :P

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

I was in a managed fund for a while. I don't remember what is was. Relatively high expense ratio (in the 1% range) plus a back end charge to exit. Ouchie.  Before you could look up a lot of info on internet. You had to go to the library and pull out the Morningstar. Which wasn't happening for me. I let it sit there for about 10 years without adding anything then pulled it all out as the business needed it (Great Recession)

Windsor expense ratio is .31%. Which is a lot higher than Total stock Market .04%. Looks like Windsor got hit hard in the 4th quarter sell offs as their 1 year results suck. But they caught some updraft in the January rally. Looks like a NASDAQ composite beat Windsor pretty significantly over 10 years. By almost 25%. Total Stock market beat Windsor by 11% over last 10 years

I just like to have my stuff easy. So I moved towards VTSAX since late 90's. We have a total Bond fund, a dividend fund & a International fund. I see no reason to go into managed funds. I am actually thinking of ditching the international too

you do you :P

I agree, except I am still buying VTIAX for foreign exposure. I also like VNQI.

Windsors seem like a gimmick to make VG more expense ratio. 

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I agree, except I am still buying VTIAX for foreign exposure. I also like VNQI.

Windsors seem like a gimmick to make VG more expense ratio. 

Windsor is legacy fund from the 1958. So the investing landscape was a lot different then. the last 10-15 years has seen the index funds become monsters. i don't know how the fund flow has been for windsor. i suspect it's more outflows for last 10 years or more. at some point i think they will fold it into something else

8 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Windsor is legacy fund from the 1958. So the investing landscape was a lot different then. the last 10-15 years has seen the index funds become monsters. i don't know how the fund flow has been for windsor. i suspect it's more outflows for last 10 years or more. at some point i think they will fold it into something else

I didn't realize that.  Interesting.

Recently, I took the plunge and picked up a little MJ, etf.  It's doing well.  Better than trying to sell dime bags for $.  LOL

• Envious 1

I mostly like broad index funds, but I've used some managed funds including a Vanguard managed fund  that has some bond exposure.  Even though I understand that it's the total gain of a stock that matters and that you're better off selling a stock for capital gain than getting the equivalent amount in dividends, as I get closer to retirement, I do like the idea of having some funds that generate a steady income while having some exposure to stocks to help address inflation risk.  It may not be rational, but I have years of my Dad saying "you can't spend the principal" drilled into my head, even though he came from an era of defined benefit pensions.

To the extent I can put some of these in IRA's or my 401k), the income vs. capital gains isn't a concern.  And while the fees are higher than a pure index fund, they're still less than most other funds.

So broad index is still the majority of my investments, but I do have some managed funds for the bond portion of my asset allocation.

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

I mostly like broad index funds, but I've used some managed funds including a Vanguard managed fund  that has some bond exposure.  Even though I understand that it's the total gain of a stock that matters and that you're better off selling a stock for capital gain than getting the equivalent amount in dividends, as I get closer to retirement, I do like the idea of having some funds that generate a steady income while having some exposure to stocks to help address inflation risk.  It may not be rational, but I have years of my Dad saying "you can't spend the principal" drilled into my head, even though he came from an era of defined benefit pensions.

To the extent I can put some of these in IRA's or my 401k), the income vs. capital gains isn't a concern.  And while the fees are higher than a pure index fund, they're still less than most other funds.

So broad index is still the majority of my investments, but I do have some managed funds for the bond portion of my asset allocation.

We are mostly index, mutual , bonds and etfs.  Minimal single stocks in the portfolio.  We have been buying a bunch of CDs for a timeframe that is somewhat closer and I want that money in a safer investment.  We start spending in 2023.  :)

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Are you happy with the performance over the long haul?

In the early years yes!  It was my main stock market exposure and it did way better than the guaranteed savings which used to have very high rates in the 80s IIRC but faded into nothingness later. But I think it lagged later. It is a very minor part of my stuffs now, which is mostly just index funds.