Morning has broken

Randomguy

I got up, scanned emails - nothing good.  Did a tablespoon of ACV in a glass of water and knocked it straight back.  

Made pancakes, 1/2 recipe (calculations figured on Paprika, the recipe app I had decided upon because of the recipe-scaling feature).  I took out some of the flour and substituted oatmeal, as I like a denser pancake.  They are better this way, trust me.  

I don't know what happened to me, but I now don't top pancakes with anything, no syrup or butter.  I started doing it that way because I didn't have any syrup, and realized that they are plenty tasty without it.

I then made my last bit of the Lung ching green tea from McNulty's.  Now I only have two flavored variety's of green tea.  

The end.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Made pancakes, 1/2 recipe (calculations figured on Paprika, the recipe app I had decided upon because of the recipe-scaling feature).  I took out some of the flour and substituted oatmeal, as I like a denser pancake.  They are better this way, trust me.   

Regular oatmeal? Some specific type of oatmeal? "Took out some" is mighty vague! Got a good link to the recipe?

I love pancakes, but I fear they don't ship well :(

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Regular oatmeal? Some specific type of oatmeal? "Took out some" is mighty vague! Got a good link to the recipe?

I love pancakes, but I fear they don't ship well :(

Regular non-instant, long cook oatmeal.  From Trader Joe's.  I sub out about a third of the flour called for and add the oats.

One thing is that these oats take a while to absorb some of the liquid, so I mix all ingredients together and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes if I have the time, but sometimes get impatient and start cooking right away.   As for the recipe, I just use a super simple and basic recipe, it is "Easy Pancakes" from Good Housekeeping.  I didn't really see a lot of variation in other pancake recipes so I settled on this one as a starting point, and never ventured away from it.

If I don't have milk on hand, I use water and they turn out fine, a little lighter.  I figure the liquid does some of the binding, but that is mostly the result of the flour/egg banging each other.   I am tempted to try with orange juice, but wonder how that will mess with the baking powder because of the citric acid.

Anyway, I like the oats in the pancakes, makes the whole thing taste more substantial in a way, although I am sure the calories are the same or fewer by a few percent.  The whole oats probably give you a longer burn time, too.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

32 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I got up, scanned emails - nothing good.  Did a tablespoon of ACV in a glass of water and knocked it straight back.  

I don't know what happened to me, but I now don't top pancakes with anything, no syrup or butter.  I started doing it that way because I didn't have any syrup, and realized that they are plenty tasty without it.

I then made my last bit of the Lung ching green tea from McNulty's.  Now I only have two flavored variety's of green tea.  

The end.

So where is the broken part?  Did you drop a plate?  Or maybe a Flung Dung Lung teacup?

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Regular non-instant, long cook oatmeal.  From Trader Joe's.  I sub out about a third of the flour called for and add the oats.

One thing is that these oats take a while to absorb some of the liquid, so I mix all ingredients together and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes if I have the time, but sometimes get impatient and start cooking right away.   As for the recipe, I just use a super simple and basic recipe, it is "Easy Pancakes" from Good Housekeeping.  I didn't really see a lot of variation in other pancake recipes so I settled on this one as a starting point, and never ventured away from it.

If I don't have milk on hand, I use water and they turn out fine, a little lighter.  I figure the liquid does some of the binding, but that is mostly the result of the flour/egg banging each other.   I am tempted to try with orange juice, but wonder how that will mess with the baking powder because of the citric acid.

Anyway, I like the oats in the pancakes, makes the whole thing taste more substantial in a way, although I am sure the calories are the same or fewer by a few percent.  The whole oats probably give you a longer burn time, too.

Oh yeah, I ran out of white sugar a while ago, so I have been using brown sugar or honey, so it seems any sugar is fine.  I know honey has some extra moisture, but pancakes aren't rocket science and I don't stress about it.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2019 at 8:26 AM, Randomguy said:

The end.

I did not take you for a white girl, but using abbreviations for stuff like apple cider vinegar or extra virgin olive oil brands you as one.

All the white girls in my hood are all about HCB's right now.  Apparently mixing cocoa into milk is just to main stream and you have some sort of Hot Chocolate Bomb to put in your mug and pour hot milk over.