Do you like your job?

shootingstar

Do you like your job/have you liked a job?  Seems this article that if a person finds their job gives meaning/purpose to others, it helps person to have a positive attitude.  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/21/magazine/elite-professionals-jobs-happiness.html?smid=tw-nytmag&smtyp=cur

Overall, yes I admit, I have liked all my jobs.  Some were better than others. I have disliked just 1-2 managers I reported to.  However the job itself I enjoyed doing the work.  My jobs are related directly to my formal training and have gone beyond what I studied ages ago. Yes, I did choose the right career for myself.  I was lucky to work for interesting, diverse organizations. So  my career satisfaction is probably linked to: I honestly believe my job has been to empower people with the right tools to get or have the right information to do their work/for the corporation or for the public good (ultimately).  Do I sound corny?  

image.thumb.png.0426f05bfb9f6ca72699bf22917dd6f7.png

• Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Nice thought, that your job is what you make it. :)

Perhaps. Also I've worked for 9 different employers.  I think my satisfaction might be different if I worked for only 1-2 and in the same job.  There are certain types of organizations I'm glad not to work for because corporate inbreeding which leads to vicious internal conflict and competition.

Well, librarian and electronic documents management, is pretty dull to many and no glamour.  From my side, I get to see how people think by expressing their problems, their habits on handling information and above all, the subject content can be interesting...though I don't have time to read much of it.   

• Heart 1

I enjoy the work I do, although age is beginning to limit me.

My 'job' sucks, there is little to no guidance on what to prioritize, a great deal of preaching about 'being the best', many restrictions being applied in the name of safety; we can't do it the way we've always done it, but nobody's telling me how to do it.  

A lot of frustration.

I can coast, but it makes the days long, and I prefer to have a feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I don't  mind my job...but sometimes I hate people.  :whistle:

I'm sorry to hear this.  You aren't seeing some people at their best or normal.  I worked in a library in geriatric medicine and gerontology.  It was located in a nursing home.  We leased the space as a national non-profit.  It's one thing to read stuff about various subjects in this areas...vs. reality when one walked through the floor of the nursing home from the library.  It was a multi-level care facility ...semi-independent to more frail residents.  

Yea, exposed to the literature on medical effects of aging, social issues..ie. regulatory issues on nursing homes, psyschosocial aspects of aging, etc. I was in my mid 20's at the time.

I like my job. We got our bonuses yesterday, so all is good. Paid for my vacation. 

Took a new job Jan 1. Still learning part of it - becoming the company expert on DFAS, DFARS, Conflict Minerals. My old boss is an expert so she is training me. Which is good, but her motto is ‘Even if the process works fine, we should re-engineer it.’  2/3s of the job is doing the stuff that I’ve been doing since 2004.