What minor physical defects do you have?

Ralphie

I think I need to get elf shoes because my toes always rub the top of the toes of my shoes.  An old cow-orker said that he and his friends always made fun of people whose shoes sort of curled up. Bastard!  I liked shoes with big toe boxes, but they are sort of butt-ugly.  Comfy though!  While we're on toes, also self-diagnosed Morton's toe where the second is slightly longer than the big, which I think is why running did not agree with my knees.

That's enough for now!

I'm slightly red-green color blind.

Everything else seems to be working ok, except that if I try to be as active as teenage-me, I end up with shoulder, Achilles Tendon, hip, etc. operations or physical therapy or chiropractic treatment.  Still, being able to go shopping in multiple stores after an hour's walk or bike ride is more than most 68 year-olds I know are able to accomplish these days so I'll continue to resist decay, but at a slow pace.

6 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I think I need to get elf shoes because my toes always rub the top of the toes of my shoes.  An old cow-orker said that he and his friends always made fun of people whose shoes sort of curled up. Bastard!  I liked shoes with big toe boxes, but they are sort of butt-ugly.  Comfy though!  While we're on toes, also self-diagnosed Morton's toe where the second is slightly longer than the big, which I think is why running did not agree with my knees.

That's enough for now!

I'm kinda obsessed with feet! and no, that's not my defect.  A lot of my students defects are due to shoes!!! shoes are just generally bad! we evolved to be barefoot.  An Ralph you are right about big toe boxes - our shoes should be wider on the toe than the rest of the shoe, our toes should be able to spread and be the widest part of our foot.  Follow the foot collective on Instagram or facebook. working with your feet and fix a lot of other issues in your body.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

22 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

I'm kinda obsessed with feet! and no, that's not my defect.  A lot of my students defects are due to shoes!!! shoes are just generally bad! we evolved to be barefoot.  An Ralph you are right about big toe boxes - our shoes should be wider on the toe than the rest of the shoe, our toes should be able to spread and be the widest part of our foot.  Follow the foot collective on Instagram or facebook. working with your feet and fix a lot of other issues in your body.

Down with shoes, dangit!

• Heart 1

On 2/23/2019 at 9:51 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That's enough for now!

Shoes curl for numerous reasons but foot shape isn't one of them.  Could be they get wet frequently or worn too often (which is the same) or over sized.  Shoe trees will help and let then dry a day or two between use. :) 

On 2/23/2019 at 9:51 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That's enough for now!

New Balance MW813 might help. They come in wide sizes, and they are the only shoes that fit my feet (without going the custom route). They look like a shoe, made like a sneaker.So they're softer than a real shoe.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-MW813-Walking-Shoe-M/dp/B00LBYXOBQ

Have you tried getting a cobbler to stretch the fronts of your shoes?

3 hours ago, roadsue said:

My left leg is shorter which leads to other issues in my hips and lower back. The most noticeable is how quickly I escalate from neutral to outraged. From zero to wtf in .7 seconds. 

I found out about my leg length discrepancy when I went to physical therapy for hip pain. The PT found it when doing workup measurements. I knew that my feet were different sizes due to being born with club foot, but I didn't know about the different size legs.

3 hours ago, roadsue said:

My left leg is shorter which leads to other issues in my hips and lower back. The most noticeable is how quickly I escalate from neutral to outraged. From zero to wtf in .7 seconds. 

I think you were misdiagnosed.  Maybe the truth is that the right leg is longer!  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I found out about my leg length discrepancy when I went to physical therapy for hip pain. The PT found it when doing workup measurements. I knew that my feet were different sizes due to being born with club foot, but I didn't know about the different size legs.

Me, too. My feet are noticeably different from each other. The left is bent. It’s never been diagnosed as club foot, though. 

26 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Me, too. My feet are noticeably different from each other. The left is bent. It’s never been diagnosed as club foot, though. 

My left foot is much worse than my right, and there use to be much curvature in my boots and shoes.  One doctor in the early 70s indicated that he would have diagnosed me with a club foot, if he had seen me as a child. I finally went to get some help in 2004 after suffering with many sprained ankles, and actually blew out some pedals due to extreme lateral pressure from the left foot. Have progressed from one brace on the left and in shoe orthotic on the right to braces on both legs.

While still there, almost camouflaged with aging skin. Ignoring surgical scars which I don't notice - but the dermatologist picked up on - I have a small "accidental" scar on left pointing finger knuckle.  I was about 13 and had some fatty lumber was trimming some kindling. Came down with a hatchet for the next sliver of kindling. It hit a hard spot and bounced over to my knuckle. For years, that is how I would tell left and right apart.

Wouldn't happen today as lumber is so kiln dried there is no fatty strains left - particularly in upper grades.

On 2/23/2019 at 4:37 PM, shootingstar said:

Let's see..one nostril is slightly bigger than the other. I don't know why.

1 ear sticks out a tiny bit more than the other...because of surgery as a kid.

Very dry skin on my legs... problem partially solved when I wear shorts at home in winter. Seriously, it works. Home heat is good. Plus very strong body lotion.

Vegetable glycerin really helps me with dry skin on my legs! My skin is now better than it has ever been! I put it on after a shower and try to only shower every other day in the winter 

On 2/23/2019 at 9:48 PM, Chris... said:

I’m butt ugly

You see now that's sad.... and I've always been of the opinion that more attention should be paid to those ...well....ordinary-looking people. I suppose that I've always just accepted that I'm ridiculously good- looking....like it was my birthright or something... but this is so wrong. From now on I'm going to be kind to such as your good self.....when I'm being kind, promise you won't mind me averting my eyes a little.

• Heart 1