Needed just a little more track

BR46

Playing phone tag with my son this morning.

He's racing in southern Georgia today and in practice this morning he was pushing it with cold tires and ended up running off the track. 

When I tried to call him he didn't answer the phone because he was busy looking for a part so he can get back out on the track. 

Screenshot_20190223-084518_Messages.thumb.jpg.d2a4e1d7186c4d042c2a3871a3371d15.jpg

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Ouch!  So is that a fairly stock Nighthawk?

Not really.

The class that he is racing the cutoff is 1982. The 82 Nighthawk did not have a lot of high performance parts for that year so that's where the fun comes in. We get to make them. 

The front wheel and brake rotors are from a Suzuki SV650 I think the rear swing arm is also. I'm not sure. The carburetors are from a Kawasaki. 

We are working on having a camshaft made and setting up a cylinder head for it. 

I call it the Messashit race bike. IMG953853.thumb.jpg.eb85459e5a53b455c1e99aff9e066e82.jpgIMG953854.thumb.jpg.3b2125560cf2f3ffa3965fc131c8b6c0.jpgIMG954145.thumb.jpg.765f4a1d36937bb8c2c3f591fd0f207a.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Miss my old Nighthawk. :(

I think anyone who has ridden most of their lives has a friend like Dave. I remember hanging out in my friend Bill's garage, mid winter, until midnight, working on snowmobile motors until we started getting dizzy from the two stroke and torpedo heater fumes. Good times.  :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, team scooter said:

Miss my old Nighthawk. :(

My son bought the Nighthawk from a friend of mine for 400 bucks when he was in high school.

I was the one who talked him into racing it. It's my hobby to fabricate parts for the race bikes. I'm in the garage finishing the final touches on the sidecar. Next I will start on the 500 race bike. 

Hey DH I you come to South Carolina next month I'll get you on the sidecar for a few laps. 

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, BR46 said:

My son bought the Nighthawk for a friend of mine for 400 bucks when he was in high school.

I was the one who talked him into racing it. It's my hobby to fabricate parts for the race bikes. I'm in the garage finishing the final touches on the sidecar. Next I will start on the 500 race bike. 

Hey DH I you come to South Carolina next month I'll get you on the sidecar for a few laps. 

My Nighthawk was a '91 I think. The last version before they discontinued them. I bought it as a year old left over model. I loved that bike and had it for many trouble free years.. But I let the wife talk me into selling it because I wasn't riding it as much as I used to. Being without a motorcycle only lasted a year or two. Then I bought an old Twinstar to putt around, then the CTX to ride with the guys again.... The rest is history. Though now that we have the Miata, the CTX sits more than not. So the wife has started campaigning to get rid of it too. <_<

• Sad 2