Read e-books?

shootingstar

I haven't yet though I realize I can get them via my public library.

I just find having a full-time job where it's 80% in front of the computer and then outside of work while inside home and not doing chores, it's nearly 70% in front of computer, my eyes get tired.  I crave to touch "things"  beyond a keyboard, and my eyes need a break.  At work, I don't mind reading .pdf online for 10-15 pages but I just find it easier to print off sections to mark up quickly for a much longer document.  

Besides there's still enough reading material that will never be digital. Google didn't do well with their court case, when a bunch of books got scanned without permission of publishers.

Another good reason for several hrs. of enjoyable exercise....a break for the eyes.

Our library has digital books, but most seem to be audio books, and I just haven;t gotten into a routine of downloading any.  I like the convenience of having books on the phone for sporadic perusing on the go, and they are especially good if your battery is low since they take very little juice, or you are low on data.  Our Kindle Paperwhite got a good bit of use years ago.  I mostly read library paper books though, just for a few minutes at night to put me to sleep (works great!) or a few hours on the weekend.  But I agree, my sedentary self needs exercise a lot more than even more sitting on my ass!

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I like real books :whistle:. I have done some e-books but man...there is something about holding a book.

Might be better for reading before going to bed.  To promote brain to sleep better.  However I don't know what the Kindle is like to avoid re blue light problem from computer screen, which keeps the brain active and inhibits easy sleep.

On the rare occasion I have fallen asleep while reading, with the book was still on my duvet cover.  So having a device, it might fall onto the floor or I turn over onto it by accident.

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Read e-books?

Hundreds. Probably not a thousand, but several hundred. It is a FANTASTIC way to read, and so convenient.  Add in the lower overhead cost to all involved and the fact that we already have a library in our house that is now under the one in = one out rule. 

I really like that I can read before bed without keeping the light on.  I keep a Kindle next to the bed and one in the bag I take to work.  I can either read two different books, or let them sync up on a single book so I can keep my momentum going.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

That's all I read anymore as I can adjust the text size to my comfort.  I've dropped all my magazine subscriptions for that reason.  They don't come across well as ebooks.

Yeah - I tried magazines on my iPad, and they were ok but not great.  Magazines still do better in print.

I have a kindle with a number of books on it, but I've yet to read a full book on an e-reader.  I like the feel of a real book, although if I were taking a long plane trip (like another trip to Japan), I might load up an e-reader to avoid carrying a ton of books for the flights.

I've read a few, but I'm not a big fan. The kindle paper white, Nook, and Kobe are little easier on the eyes. E-books make a lot of sense for travel as do audio e-books. Print is far from dead. In fact, print sales are growing and e-book sales are shrinking. If you are going to use digital material, the library is free. Free e-books, audio e-books, music, magazines, tv, and movies.

I read ebooks occasionally.

The biggest problem is finding them in a form where the letters are large enough to comfortably read without cutting off part of the page on my 8" Kindle Fire or on my 5" smartphone.  When I got my oil changed and needed to spend an extra hour at the garage while waiting for an new tire when the old one coudn't be repaired, it was a pleasure having the Marco Polo book on my phone in an easy-to-read form.

Often, though, I also like having the paper book and when I order large books I get the printed versions.