Mmm, sauted beet greens

Ralphie

They are delicious!  I just sauted them in water, or I guess that is really braised.  No spices or aldulterants all all, just the way I love my broccoli raab cooked.  Lemon and garlic are ok, but I like to let the native taste shine.  I was tempted to add some ground red pepper but I abstained.  I loved frozen beet greens with cider vinegar as a kid, but this way is mo better.

• Heart 3

15 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

They are delicious!  I just sauted them in water, or I guess that is really braised.  No spices or aldulterants all all, just the way I love my broccoli raab cooked.  Lemon and garlic are ok, but I like to let the native taste shine.  I was tempted to add some ground red pepper but I abstained.  I loved frozen beet greens with cider vinegar as a kid, but this way is mo better.

I prefer to sauté them with shallots a. dab of butter, a splash of chardonnay, two slivers of garlic and a touch of salt and pepper. 

• Awesome 1

Tom Robbins

Tom Robbins > Quotes > Quotable Quote

Tom Robbins

“The beet is the most intense of vegetables. The radish, admittedly, is more feverish, but the fire of the radish is a cold fire, the fire of discontent not of passion. Tomatoes are lusty enough, yet there runs through tomatoes an undercurrent of frivolity. Beets are deadly serious.

Slavic peoples get their physical characteristics from potatoes, their smoldering inquietude from radishes, their seriousness from beets.

The beet is the melancholy vegetable, the one most willing to suffer. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip...

The beet is the murderer returned to the scene of the crime. The beet is what happens when the cherry finishes with the carrot. The beet is the ancient ancestor of the autumn moon, bearded, buried, all but fossilized; the dark green sails of the grounded moon-boat stitched with veins of primordial plasma; the kite string that once connected the moon to the Earth now a muddy whisker drilling desperately for rubies.

The beet was Rasputin's favorite vegetable. You could see it in his eyes.”

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1