Measles panic

shootingstar

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/confirmed-case-of-measles-prompts-alert-for-edmonton-airport-leduc-locations-1.5031785

As a child in the 1960's I did get vaccinated against measles, polio, smallpox, etc.  I did have measles as a child and also chickenpox. I do recall running a very high fever when I had measles when 6 yrs. old. I had a more dangerous strain of measles.  So yea, I might get shingles later..which I have to consider what to do to avoid.

Sad that some people refuse vaccinations for children. Unfair to children not to vaccinate them. Actually can be dangerous.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vaccination-debate-author-toxic-discourse-opinion-1.5028846

WHO indicates over 117,000 people worldwide die from measles.

Another problem is living in a city where we don't have fluoridated water.  Our municipal council voted against it in 2011, even though 2 plebiscites indicated Calgarians were for it.  

Just dumb.  I come from cities where the water is fluoridated for decades.  

9 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I just participated  an absolutely EPIC thread with an anti-vaxxer over on the other bicycle forum that must not be named. Don't get me started.:DeadHorse:

Wow. I think some of the ant-VAX folks haven't lived in countries with malaria, typhoid fever, tuberculosis.  Such innocence in North America.   My partner had meningitis as little boy....when Germany's infrastructure was fragile just after WWII.

18 minutes ago, roadsue said:

To be clear, there are some children who are  immune deficient who should not be vaccinated. Separate from them, vaccines make sense.

In our family there are 2 sources of medical expertise, my nephew's wife:  pediatrician and my sister, who is a physician with 2 children.  They are both MDs. 

Searching the internet high and low, can lead to a ton of confusion among lay folks.

Here in Calgary, where I live. 2 parents were charged for being responsible for the death of their baby son who died of meningitis (same thing that dearie contracted and almost died as a boy in Germany) .  They tried to treat their son to natural remedies,etc. they refused to bring boy to hospital for treatment, etc.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-david-collet-stephan-1.4983443

Well...I am two weeks away from my second dose of the Shingles shot...I came down with the Shingles the last weekend in March last year...I got the drugs that "help" in less than 48 hours from the outbreak of the rash...I did not have much pain..but the rash and itch were terrible...I still itch where the Shingles were...and for a bit I had some funky but minor nerve pain..You can get the shingles again...so I got the shot....I missed a couple of weeks with that crap.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Well...I am two weeks away from my second dose of the Shingles shot...I came down with the Shingles the last weekend in March last year...I got the drugs that "help" in less than 48 hours from the outbreak of the rash...I did not have much pain..but the rash and itch were terrible...I still itch where the Shingles were...and for a bit I had some funky but minor nerve pain..You can get the shingles again...so I got the shot....I missed a couple of weeks with that crap.

Dearie got his 2 shingles shots ...it's expensive.  His retirement health care benefit covered part of it.  For me I would end up paying in whole.  It's over $350.00CAN.  I'm glad he got it.

My mother unfortunately got shingles.  (She did get chickenpox.....from her children!  I remember that whole time period because several of her children had chickenpox.)

I'm inquiring sis-doc. about shingles shot on when, etc.

I'm all for vaccinations and make sure I get my flu shot(s) each year and pneumonia and shingles shots as called for.

But I grew up before measles vaccines and it used to be considered a mild childhood disease and it was every mother's duty to have her kids catch the measles while they were young when the disease is usually mild.

It was mild with me around 10 years-old or so and I had lots of friends to play with because their mothers wanted them to catch the measles from me. I remember a red rash and feeling sick, but it didn't stop me from playing board games, eating what I wanted, etc.

• Awesome 1
  • Envious 1

I'm just going to call it the way it is -- if you aren't getting vaccinations by choice, you're just plain dumb, and/or putting yourself above the rest of us, and/or putting the rest of the community at greater risk. Fortunately, I don't have to worry because I have been vaccinated -- but truth is I sorta wish the government conspiracy about mind control comes true just so I don't have to think you're dumb anymore -- then again we'll all be thinking a like anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Here we go.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/latest-news/article226947829.html

1 minute ago, 12string said:

I actually saw this on a Facebook post from an anti-vaxxer:  The CDC reported 1700 deaths from the smallpox vaccine, but zero deaths from smallpox.  So it's just common sense that the vaccine is dangerous and there's no need for it.

Well it was a Facebook post, it must be true.