What other industry dedicates an award show to themselves?

Wilbur

12 hours ago, Kirby said:

There are all sorts of business awards too, they're just too boring to televise.

In Toastmaster's, I had to give a 5-7 minute speech on accepting an award. Not actually receiving one to reflect on, it opened up the field to being entertaining. I gave myself and accepted the highly coveted "Middle Finger Award" which the business awarded to the employee who was most successful of getting one over on the customers. Now that is an entertaining business award...and sadly it didn't require a set-up explanation as most people in the audience identified with it.

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So.. I did the job I am paid to do.  Celebrate me! 

Most award programs within areas where I've worked, eventually downgraded to this. They give 'so many' and then they are just for doing the job they are paid for.  These are something to make the boss feel good and not necessarily the employees.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Most award programs within areas where I've worked, eventually downgraded to this. They give 'so many' and then they are just for doing the job they are paid for.  These are something to make the boss feel good and not necessarily the employees.

I have a beautiful glass trophy somewhere in the basement in a box.   Years ago, I was asked to write a paper on the use of business aircraft in support of company employees achieving and exceeding goals.  The paper was submitted by my boss to a benchmarking company and we won some "Best Practices" award.  It was a feather in his cap even though I managed the department and wrote the stupid paper.  The company wide gloating he did was amazing.  I guess I wrote a better paper than the other participants.  WOFTAM.

• Heart 1

Lots of industries do - or have similarly subjective competitions.  Several years ago, I decided to serve Panama Geisha coffee, very expensive and considered the world's best coffee bean, at a Christmas Dinner.  I found it, from the original Panama Geisha's Leon Estate and from a batch grown at the very desirable 1600 ft. above sea-level altitude, at Klatch Coffee, a small roaster in Los Angeles who would ship it to me a few days after roasting it for $50/8 oz.  The clincher in getting it from a little company like Klatch is that the woman roasting their beans had won the U.S. Barista Championships twice.

The coffee was damn good, with hints of fruits, nuts, and chocolate, though that was a one-time splurge. My most recent great beans cost $9.90 for 2 lbs. at Costco.