3-Day weekend and new kayaks to enjoy!!

kingtermite

OK....so a bit of the story because it may be confusing. You're probably thinking...you already got new kayaks, what are you talking about?

So we (my wife and I) were taking a sea kayaking class to learn the basic and, more importantly, the safety techniques like self and assisted rescues so that if you capsize (in sea water that can cause hypothermica within 30 minutes like the sea in our neck of the woods)  you are able to get back in your boat effectively.

Anyway, the last portion of that class was a full weekend of paddling on a cold lake and reinforcing these techniques. There was an option to rent a boat, but we figured that was for people who weren't sure about getting into kayaking. I mentioned this to the lady who was the head instructor of the class and she suggested renting anyway, in order to learn what boats felt better for us. We were sure about kayaking and we figured we'd save money by getting our own boats first (before the season kicked in and people tried to get more money out of them). So we went to Craigslist and knew enough to check the fit (similar to a bike). 

We got to the class and we learned quickly and a boat that feels fine when sitting in it on land isn't quite the same as it's feel on water. They were good kayaks that we bought, but not the right 'fit and feel' for us.

We knew by the second day of that class weekend that we'd be trying to resell these on Craigslist and get new kayaks. Between the class and a "PaddleFest" two weekends ago we knew now what to look for much better. First of all, especially at our beginner level, one MUST try the boat on water to see how it feels.

That being said, we have now in the last week or so bought two new kayaks that are a great fit and feel for us. We'll be doing some touch up work on the original two we bought and trying to turn those around on Craigslist. I'm hoping that we can get back what we paid for them or darn close, so I'm not too worried about losing money on it.

Anyway...that's the kayak story. Here are the two kayaks we now have and will putting in a little paddle time on this weekend.

The wife's Necky Looksha V (yellow rotomold plastic) and mine, a Seaward Chinook Tx(orange thermomold plastic).

Nice!  

Last time I was in Seattle, I had good sport with an overly-serious kayak-department chick at REI.  I told her I wanted a kayak that looked exactly like a killer whale or a seal, so black or close would be the only colors I would consider, and I might paint on the white bits if I decided on a killer whale look.  She got all worried and started going on about how that wouldn't be a good idea, that these were dangerous animals and such, but I kept telling her that this was nonsense, I know what I am doing.

I was really killing time until my buddy finished up doing something in another department, I have never kayaked at all.  Looks like fun, but only in a killer whale or seal-colored kayak.

Nice!  

Last time I was in Seattle, I had good sport with an overly-serious kayak-department chick at REI.  I told her I wanted a kayak that looked exactly like a killer whale or a seal, so black or close would be the only colors I would consider, and I might paint on the white bits if I decided on a killer whale look.  She got all worried and started going on about how that wouldn't be a good idea, that these were dangerous animals and such, but I kept telling her that this was nonsense, I know what I am doing.

I was really killing time until my buddy finished up doing something in another department, I have never kayaked at all.  Looks like fun, but only in a killer whale or seal-colored kayak.

LOL...I'll bet that was funny. Actually, Orcas are very safe. I've recently heard that there is not one single case of an Orca attacking a person ever recorded (or something like that).

LOL...I'll bet that was funny. Actually, Orcas are very safe. I've recently heard that there is not one single case of an Orca attacking a person ever recorded (or something like that).

Yeah, tell that to Sea World employees!

I wonder if they eat polar bears sometimes.

It's really funny. I've learned so much about kayaks and kayaking in the last few months. Almost every aspect is a perfect analogy to biking and bike shops.

-Buy a 'real' kayak, not a box store kayak (like from Sports Authority).

-Support your local kayak shop as best as you can....don't go to big box stores for items.

-You must truly ride/test one for fit/feel before you know it's right for you.

-Small changes in shape can make huge differences.

-N+1 rule applies.

-Being clipped in (e.g. spray skirt attached) is a good thing.

-Same scenario with different materials and weight that makes a huge difference.

etc....

It's really funny. I've learned so much about kayaks and kayaking in the last few months. Almost every aspect is a perfect analogy to biking and bike shops.

-Buy a 'real' kayak, not a box store kayak (like from Sports Authority).

-Support your local kayak shop as best as you can....don't go to big box stores for items.

-You must truly ride/test one for fit/feel before you know it's right for you.

-Small changes in shape can make huge differences.

-N+1 rule applies.

-Being clipped in (e.g. spray skirt attached) is a good thing.

-Same scenario with different materials and weight that makes a huge difference.

etc....

Is there kayak snobbery in kayaking?  

I would also like to see you put that on the roof of the smart car your neighbor has in the first picture... I need to see how much over hang it has to be sure it will be safe enough for my croft to ride in! 

• Heart 1

I would also like to see you put that on the roof of the smart car your neighbor has in the first picture... I need to see how much over hang it has to be sure it will be safe enough for my croft to ride in! 

I don't really know the people down the street with the smart car, but one of the people in our class last month carried their kayak on their mini. That was kinda funny to see.

I don't really know the people down the street with the smart car, but one of the people in our class last month carried their kayak on their mini. That was kinda funny to see.

I used to stick my racing go-kart inside my MGB-GT small hatchback, with the back tires sticking out.  I thought it was pretty funny. :)  That was a real feat of packing to also get all the accessories inside.

Ok... So you don't know them... in the middle of the night, go pick up their car and put it on the kayak. The car can't be that heavy being that small! 

Get a picture of it also :)

I think it might fit in the rear hatch compartment of the kayak.