My Drusen are Snoozin' but NOT due to Carrots

MickinMD

Drusen are little yellow dots that sometimes form on the retina.  Drusen do not cause macular degeneration but people with a lot of them often get macular degeneration.  Macular Degeneration runs in my family: my mother had it and an 81 year-old first-cousin in NJ has it, so I'm checked for it each year.

I've had a few tiny drusen in one eye for a couple years.  Today I learned they are not growing nor are there any more.  The retina had become a little thinner a year ago but is thicker (better) now.

I've been taking AREDS2 eye vitamins, but my ophthalmologist today said they usually only help people with severe eye problems which excludes me. She said it won't hurt me to take them but they are not likely to help as much as eating dark-green, leafy veggies like spinach and kale. I also get lower but significant doses of the key vitamins in AREDS2 in the Centrum Silver Vitamins I take each day.

I've been eating more carrots lately, but note that carrots are NOT any better for your eyes than other veggies. During WW2, American bombers suddenly became much more accurate in hitting their targets due to the top-secret Norden Bombsight which was built so it would fall apart in a hard landing or crash so it would not fall into enemy hands.  As a cover story for why the Americans were doing better, the military spread the story that they were eating lots of carrots to improve their eyesight. That was pure fiction but led to people thinking carrots improve vision, which has been passed down to this day.

• Heart 2