Beddie bye

late

Couple weeks ago, we went mattress shopping. We only went to one place, they had latex, and the only mattress I liked was the most expensive one, $2400 not including a box spring.

About 25 years, give or take several years, I got a latex mattress with a silk topping, that I liked even better than this one. We bought, loved it. It was $800. The 300% increase pisses me off.

So we cut a deal, she's been wanting a frame, so she got a frame, I got a latex pad. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

The current mattress was expensive, and pretty firm when new. Prob should have sent it back. After several years it got reasonably comfortable. But now it's been at least a decade, and I am beginning to think a pad wasn't the way to go. I may have to bite the bullet, but that truly pisses me off. There's no real reason it should be that expensive.

Not feeling brilliant, at the moment.

4 hours ago, late said:

Couple weeks ago, we went mattress shopping. We only went to one place, they had latex, and the only mattress I liked was the most expensive one, $2400 not including a box spring.

About 25 years, give or take several years, I got a latex mattress with a silk topping, that I liked even better than this one. We bought, loved it. It was $800. The 300% increase pisses me off.

So we cut a deal, she's been wanting a frame, so she got a frame, I got a latex pad. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

The current mattress was expensive, and pretty firm when new. Prob should have sent it back. After several years it got reasonably comfortable. But now it's been at least a decade, and I am beginning to think a pad wasn't the way to go. I may have to bite the bullet, but that truly pisses me off. There's no real reason it should be that expensive.

Not feeling brilliant, at the moment.

...check out the Ikea mattresses.  I think you might even be able to get them mail order, because they roll them up pretty small. But you really need to go to one of the stores to try them out.

27 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...check out the Ikea mattresses.  I think you might even be able to get them mail order, because they roll them up pretty small. But you really need to go to one of the stores to try them out.

Ikea is 127 miles from here. We've been there, but I haven't done a car trip that long in years. I did look at the catalog, and it looks like a typical latex on foam mattress. The latex is usually not the more expensive kind, and you are at the mercy of the company as to how good the foam is. Some of it is pretty good, but some breaks down far too quickly.

Latex on latex is nicer, one option is 2" of tallalay on the top, and 6" of dunlop on the bottom.

Something I've never seen, but I am considering since I have a latex topper coming in a couple days, is to go custom and have a mattress made that is latex on top, and memory foam on the bottom. Not entirely sure if my local mattress maker will go for the idea.

20 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I just checked with an inflation calculator and $800 in 1994 is $1358.77 now.  $2400 sounds WAY too high.

For that price it should at least do oral sex for you.

Latex factories experience fires every 20 years or so when they want to jack the prices up.

A few years ago I bought a Latex mattress with a 2inch topper.....as well as a Latex pillow. At that time it cost £1000 but as I have a broken back I was hoping it would be helpful. It's been comfortable but it must be possible to make these for a cheaper price.

Consumer Reports rate some of the "Bed in a Box" mattresses highly. They show up at your front door in a box. I can check the CR website if you need info on any when I get home.

A few years ago WoJSTL bought an antique bed which required a non-standard mattress and box springs. We ordered it online and it's worked out really well.

20 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

Make your own, then.

That's a new one. I don't think I've heard of a DIY mattress before. People want cheap, they get a futon. Trying to run huge mattress pieces across a sewing machine would be fun to watch, but I think I'll give it a pass.

I need to get some chairs re-upholstered. They aren't fancy, my grandfather made them. But I didn't want to use batting. It's not all that comfy. Last nite I found a place that makes cushions out of everything, latex, memory foam, and all the usual suspects.

https://www.foamorder.com/custom_cuts.php#foam-type