Coldest Temperatures Ever Measured in the Contiguous U.S.

Page Turner

Cotton-mn-835px.jpg

Above: Personnel from local and national media outlets check out the official NWS COOP temperature sensor in Cotton, Minnesota. The sensor measured a temperature of -56°F on January 27 and 31, 2019, the coldest readings in the contiguous U.S. since 1996. The site was also visited by NWS personnel from the Duluth office on the morning of January 31, 2019, to check on the quality of the instruments. They reported that “all of the equipment was in good working order”. The site is located on low ground near a river, which is a relatively new location for the Cotton COOP instrumentation (since late 2014). The former Cotton COOP site existed from 1962 to 2002. Image credit: NWS/Duluth.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Coldest-Temperatures-Ever-Measured-Contiguous-US?cm_ven=cat6-widget

us-60-below-map-v2_0.jpeg

Instances of -60°F in the Contiguous U.S.

-70° (actually -69.7°) Rogers Pass, Montana, Jan. 20, 1954
-66° Riverside Ranger Station (West Yellowstone, Montana) Feb. 9, 1933
-65° Fort Keogh (near Miles City), Montana, Jan. 13, 1888
-63° Moran, Wyoming, Feb. 9, 1933
-63° Poplar River, Montana, Jan. 1, 1885
-62° Darwin Ranch, Wyoming, Feb. 10, 1981
-61° Maybell, Colorado, Feb. 1, 1985
-61° Fort Logan, Montana, Feb. 11, 1899
-60° Tower, Minnesota, Feb. 2, 1996
-60° Maybell, Colorado, Jan. 1, 1979
-60° West Yellowstone, Montana, Jan. 12, 1963
-60° Taylor Park, Colorado, Feb. 1, 1951
-60° Taylor Park, Colorado, Feb. 1, 1985
-60° Island Park Dam, Idaho, Jan. 18, 1943
-60° Parshall, North Dakota, Feb. 15, 1936
-60° Border, Wyoming, Feb. 8, 1929
-60° Grayling (Hebgen Dam), Montana, Feb. 12, 1905

• Heart 1

I grew up between Tower and Cotton...about 30 miles give or take in either direction..and about 7 miles from another popular MN cold spot...Embarrass ... An on two different occasions I was in other parts of MN when when the cities I was living in hit record lows....It is just cold...The house I grew up in did not have a garage..my mom had an heater on the engine block...

• Heart 2

22 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Is that Fahrenheit or Centigrade?

I was once asked to "translate" to Fahrenheit - but it wasn't cold, it was in one of the hottest places I ever was.

It was July, 1999 and our tour guide was instructing us at the foot of the Temple of Hatshepsut near the entrance to the Valley of the Kings outside of Luxor, Eqypt. One of the Americans in the group got my attention, pointed to the Celsius thermometer in the SHADE, and asked, "You're the scientist in the group, what's 50 degrees Celsius in Fahrenheit?"

Of course, the conversion formula is 9/5 C + 32 = F, so it was easy to figure 9/5 of 50 is 90 plus 32 is 122 degrees F.

I said "It's 122 degrees Fahrenheit - in the shade!" and was shocked as the consequence hit me just as the words were leaving my mouth!

• Awesome 1

As a kid I remember seeing it get to -46. The coldest ever recorded in NY is -52 in Old Forge which is about 25 miles from here.

a couple years ago we left 90+ in Haiti at 3:30 pm. Woke up at 5 am the next morning at home and it was -34.