If you fell down an open elevator shaft and survived your injuries...

Randomguy

7 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I rode one of those in the big city hospital. The only elevators around here are for grain.

The newly remodeled city hall brought the number of elevators to 6 in the city that I live in. The tallest building is 3 storise high 

• Awesome 1

24 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I rode one of those in the big city hospital. The only elevators around here are for grain.

6 minutes ago, BR46 said:

The newly remodeled city hall brought the number of elevators to 6 in the city that I live in. The tallest building is 3 storise high 

These answers are not acceptable in this scenario.  :angry:

Is it easy to die in grain elevators?

There's a glitch, and when the repair guy shows up, if he's any good, he'll take a look to make sure no idiot fell down the shaft.

So.

The question is how long before the building staff calls the the repair guy, how long before he gets there, how long before he notices you.

Given the severity of running into a concrete wall at 60 or 70mph, your odds really suck.

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

45 years ago I worked in a plant that had a four story freight elevator. It had big springs at the bottom of the shaft to soften the crash at the bottom if you overloaded the elevator.

I worked in a factory with a bunch of old freight elevators and we got a few of them stuck in the bottom of the shaft from overloading them.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, BR46 said:

I worked in a factory with a bunch of old freight elevators and we got a few of them stuck in the bottom of the shaft from overloading them.

When I got stuck I was able to lift the load up to the first floor with my fork lift and set the load on the first floor. Then go to another floor, get off the elevator and drive down to the other end of the building to the modern elevator and take it to the first floor and retrieve my load. The modern elevator could haul the lift truck plus the load, the old one it was one or the other. People were always forgetting.

• Confused 1

The forklift operators at a plant I worked at learned how to 'fault' the elevators. They could swing the ass end of the forklift around and trip a safety sensor.

At least half an hour break, usually an hour before we got around to resetting it, as long as your bathroom needs were taken care of it was easy money.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

After my cop days I worked as a night watchman while going to college.  I worked in a high rise and patrolled the 16th - 20th floors.

One night I was half asleep doing my patrol in an empty highrise it oh dark thirty.  Often times elevators would remain open on a floor waiting for occupants.  Well this one time as I was approaching the elevator the doors were 1/2 open. As I was about to step in I noticed the elevator lights were out and i stopped dead in my tracks.  Freaking empty shaft!!!!  ? Holy shit I almost walked into an elevator shaft!!!! 

After I cleaned myself I called it in and continued my patrol.

That’s where the old saying must have come from:”sometimes you get the elevator and sometimes you get the shaft”.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't seem likely anyone would figure out I was lying there so I guess I'd die.

In college there was a friend named Jane who was afraid of elevators and a class we were taking together was on the third floor of a building. Jane made me walk up the stairs with her every time and while doing so I always bitched about not taking the elevator.

So finally, one day, Jane got tired of my bitching and we took the elevator.  Once it began rising I teased her and jumped up and down a little and said, "See? Even this doesn't hurt the elevator?"

Of course, the elevator promptly got stuck!  We were rescued within a few minutes but it took a few days before Jane wasn't mad at me any more.  But I probably scarred her for life about elevators.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2