Get to DQ and get a Buster bar

dinneR

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I have never had a Buster Bar.

I feel bad for you. Were there no DQs in OH? They are 100% delicious.

My grandfather used to give us money to go to DQ and return with a box of Dilly bars and Buster bars. As long as he got just one, he did not complain. We ate the rest on the ride home. 

• Heart 2

14 minutes ago, dennis said:

I feel bad for you. Were there no DQs in OH? They are 100% delicious.

My grandfather used to give us money to go to DQ and return with a box of Dilly bars and Buster bars. As long as he got just one, he did not complain. We ate the rest on the ride home. 

As I child, I knew that to deviate from the red (cherry? strawberry?) or butterscotch dipped cone would mean disappointment.  I think I knew this from once having a Dilly Bar, which was about 10% as good as that dipped cone.  How could I take a chance on a Buster Bar under those circumstances?

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

As I child, I knew that to deviate from the red (cherry? strawberry?) or butterscotch dipped cone would mean disappointment.  I think I knew this from once having a Dilly Bar, which was about 10% as good as that dipped cone.  How could I take a chance on a Buster Bar under those circumstances?

The Dilly Bar is the gateway to the Buster Bar. You took a wrong turn at the dipped cone. I love a dipped cone as much as the next person, but it is not a Buster Bar.

• Heart 3

3 minutes ago, dennis said:

The Dilly Bar is the gateway to the Buster Bar. You took a wrong turn at the dipped cone. I love a dipped cone as much as the next person, but it is not a Buster Bar.

Explain.

Also, nothing could compare to the dipped cone, that was like some drug that was illegal, stigmatized, yet universally acknowledged as being extremely powerful and addictive.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Explain.

Also, nothing could compare to the dipped cone, that was like some drug that was illegal, stigmatized, yet universally acknowledged as being extremely powerful and addictive.

I love the dipped cone. I had many at Frosty Freeze.

The Buster Bar is delightful!

Buster Bar. ® Experience layer after layer of chocolate fudge, peanuts and DQ® soft serve dipped in luscious, chocolate-flavored coating.

6 hours ago, dennis said:

I love the dipped cone. I had many at Frosty Freeze.

The Buster Bar is delightful!

Buster Bar. ® Experience layer after layer of chocolate fudge, peanuts and DQ® soft serve dipped in luscious, chocolate-flavored coating.

Oooh, peanuts!  Now you are talking!

Warren Zevon knew what he was doing when he bought Dairy Queen. :D

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Oooh, peanuts!  Now you are talking!

Warren Zevon knew what he was doing when he bought Dairy Queen. :D

I don’t like the way he rules with an iron fist. Our local Dairy Queen’s always served three flavors, chocolate, vanilla, and coffee flavor. The coffee flavor was absolutely the best. Corporate told them they were not allowed to sell anything but chocolate and vanilla. Independently owned but ruled by a dictator. ?

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I don’t like the way he rules with an iron fist. Our local Dairy Queen’s always served three flavors, chocolate, vanilla, and coffee flavor. The coffee flavor was absolutely the best. Corporate told them they were not allowed to sell anything but chocolate and vanilla. Independently owned but ruled by a dictator. ?

To Zevon's credit, I think it was always that way, and he probably figured don;t eff with something that is working!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodculture/20-things-you-didnt-know-about-dairy-queen/ar-BBMOpFG

So when did they start serving chocolate? Ever since Blizzards came oot I just aboot always get them in our rare DQ visits (there used to be one in the neighboring town in an old Wawa that we frequented with the kids, but it is long gone and the closest one is aboot 10 miles away.   Plus the wife and kids are addicted to a very popular local independent joint.  I much prefer to eat cheap (sale-priced Friendly's or Turkey Hill) store ice cream very slowly in very small portions.)

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So when did they start serving chocolate.

When I was little our Dairy Queen’s only had vanilla but by the time I was in high school they had chocolate. The large open all year with full menu food service and inside seating Dairy Queen added coffee flavor to their always have menu and they also had flavor of the month which changed each month. I have seen chocolate mint, key lime pie, strawberry, Lemon, root beer, they were not afraid to experiment. Corporate said no to all that. My dad took it hard, he loved their coffee flavor DQ and had a small cone every day.

• Sad 1

I remember them only having vanilla through much of my youth.  We were too poor (or froogal!) to buy Dilly Bars and such, but I did like the later Peanut Buster Parfait, and of course I went apeshit when Heath and Butterfinger Blizzards came oot (pumpkin pie was good too, with graham crackers - mmm!).

I remember the Dairy Queen in Greenville always had excellent chili dawgz and fries that we would have after the kart races in Jamestown on Saturday nights.

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I remember them only having vanilla through much of my youth.  We were too poor (or froogal!) to buy Dilly Bars and such, but I did like hte lter Peanut Buster Parfait, and of course I went ape-shit when Heath and Butterfinger Blizzards came oot (pumpkin pie was good too, with graham crackers - mmm!).

I remember the Dairy Queen in Greenville always had excellent chili dawgz and fries that we would have after the kart races in Jamestown on Saturday nights.

The Dairy Queen in West Middlesex had chili dogs with either regular or hot chili. Their hot chili with onions was to die for.

• Awesome 1

I’m doing a mtn bike fondo in a month and I haven’t been on my mtn bike in 2 months!  With all the rain trails have been closed but the new crosser is getting broken in.  Another rainy weekend forecasted. I guess I’m gonna get wet as I gotta get the miles in.  

The rain this year has been unreal.  I don’t think we have gone 10 days without rain since Christmas.   Remarkable for us but it’s really needed.

Here in Maine, DQ is the bottom of the barrel. Most of the local soft serve places are, at least, a little better. We go once or twice a year to Reds, and split a mocha shake, always ask for extra choc syrup.

But above that, we have gourmet goodies. I've mentioned Gelato Fisaco many times, but there's also Roundtop, and a bunch of others.

https://maine.eater.com/maps/best-ice-cream-maine

I like DQ, but the one near us is frustrating. It looks like a Chinese fire drill in there and t gets messy! Too much of the process is in view of the customers. 

Dilly Bars are great as are Buster Bars, but I prefer the Blizzard - Heath or Peanut butter cup. 

Their 5 Buck Lunch is a good deal, but even though it’s modest portions, I gain weight when I have one—-except for the chili dog lunch that I preferred but is no longer offered. Maybe I should send Warren a message 

We like to take the granddaughters to the Dairy Queen in Hermitage. They had a nice store and a tire shop bought them out (I know weird). They bought an old ihop restaurant completely remodeled it. It’s the largest DQ I have ever seen. When you place your order they give you a buzzer that also lights up and vibrates when your order is ready. The girls love that. The older girls will get the $5.00 lunch but they mostly get the kids meal (even cheaper than the $5.00 lunch.

The DQ here is having problems finding people willing to work. Last summer they were closed on a Sunday afternoon because of a shortage of workers. 

I have not been there in years but I hear a lot of complaints about the slow service and the place is not as clean as it used to be.