Man down!

donkpow

I was on my way home approaching the last hill on the way. I heard what sounded like an automobile accident behind me. The next thing I know, I am laying on the pavement. I rolled off the street and into a guy's front yard. I laid there until emergency services arrived. The lady said she didn't didn't see me and she was terribly sorry about everything. I was riding legally in my hi-vis vest with a hi-vis helmet cover along with my Cygolite daytime blinky. She just didn't recognize me in her path and ran right into the back of me. Fairly slow speed, like 35 mph.

I was transported to the trauma center and finally discharged as a patient with no serious injury. No broken bones, no internal injury, no head trauma. Hurts like hell but this too shall pass.

1.thumb.png.77f6ecd9b15305124747c82c10dde8a4.png

2.thumb.png.b6cfcc53ca5ba4c7892af4933f89a702.png

3.thumb.png.3927e724b088d751f749bee7f05e276a.png

4.thumb.png.6a9c4286c283455cda72e5a4b7f0cc04.png

5.thumb.png.335d519ae8b27b73bcab86d1274cce63.png

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 10

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

How does someone not recognize you as a cyclist?

That's the question. A similar thing happens with motorcyclists. Everybody's looking for cars and don't see anything else. Living in the city, I am sure you have seen motorists end up in very peculiar circumstances.

55 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I was transported to the trauma center and finally discharged as a patient with no serious injury. No broken bones, no internal injury, no head trauma. Hurts like hell but this too shall pass.

1.thumb.png.77f6ecd9b15305124747c82c10dde8a4.png

...looks like you protected the saddle because you were on it. :)  35 mph sounds pretty fast to me. That could have been waaaay uglier.  I have not met the woman who hit you, but it might be worth investigating whether she should continue to be allowed to drive. Or not.

There is a nationwide tendency for the cops to ignore egregious, life threatening behavior by motorists.  I used to see it all the damn time working accidents for the fire department. Eventually, it started to pis me off.  Fortunately, I retired.  If this woman goes to trial over the citation (assuming there were any), it would behoove you to testify.  Otherwise, she drives away from the courthouse chatting away on her cell phone. :( 

Glad you are okay. 

Bikes and gear can be replaced.

I agree that you need to make a list of everything on your bike and person at retail.  Head to toe and front to back.  Go see your PCP and keep receipts.   Keep receipts for any medical supplies, whatever.    Do not sign anything.  Do not make posts on social media about this, put nothing out there that their side can twist.

I know some people that can no longer ride on the road after the trauma of getting hit by a car.   Think about that angle.  If this keeps you from being able to bike commute, their is a cost associated with that.

Hope I am over reacting, but better safe than sorry.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

42 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Sorry to hear about the mishap. I hope your bike and things are replaced quickly and to your satisfaction. Similar event came into our LBS. Commuter was rear-ended by a guy going about 35. His bike looked worse for wear. 

3E9F0508-243C-486B-B3A4-D4373055D636.jpeg

C1D4704A-28B0-4FF4-B6F7-77CAEA369B91.jpeg

...another remarkable saddle survival story.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...looks like you protected the saddle because you were on it. :)  35 mph sounds pretty fast to me. That could have been waaaay uglier.  I have not met the woman who hit you, but it might be worth investigating whether she should continue to be allowed to drive. Or not.

There is a nationwide tendency for the cops to ignore egregious, life threatening behavior by motorists.  I used to see it all the damn time working accidents for the fire department. Eventually, it started to pis me off.  Fortunately, I retired.  If this woman goes to trial over the citation (assuming there were any), it would behoove you to testify.  Otherwise, she drives away from the courthouse chatting away on her cell phone. :( 

I don't think that's the case here. I believe the powers that be want to increase cycling around here. This little crackup was on the news. There was a bunch of officers on scene. The police officers took my broken bicycle in their car to my home. He was even complaining how he got all dirty doing it. :) I think they lean more to our side than not. Bikeways are kind of big thing around here. As you can see by this map, Dayton is kind of the hub of bikeways in SW Ohio.

ohio-bikeways-732650.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Envious 1

12 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I don't think that's the case here. I believe the powers that be want to increase cycling around here. This little crackup was on the news. There was a bunch of officers on scene. The police officers took my broken bicycle in their car to my home. He was even complaining how he got all dirty doing it. :) I think they lean more to our side than not. Bikeways are kind of big thing around here. As you can see by this map, Dayton is kind of the hub of bikeways in SW Ohio.

image.png.047004e038ea00517e0bae304a4a0644.png

THAT IS AN AWESOME MAP!!!!

• Awesome 1

first, glad you're OK!

If there was no citation, go to the police station and make sure they write one.

If you know what time it was, in most states the police are allowed to look at cell phones to see if the offenders was using the phone at the time.  I'm not big on pain & suffering lawsuits, but that would do it for me.

Keep an eye on any kind of odd physical symptoms that come up for a week or so and don't mess around.  Any nausea is a big red flag, don't mess with that.  Not just concussions, but internal bleeding - that can kill

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

30 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

I seen the story on Whio Channel 7

That's the one. I am a star! :)

35 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

You have already been advised to not make any assessment of your injuries right away. I felt pretty good after my encounter with my autism guy on Sunday. I have trouble sleeping and working with firewood to heat my house because of chest pain now. It took awhile to hit.

Yep. I have follow up care to consider.

35 minutes ago, jsharr said:

THAT IS AN AWESOME MAP!!!!

'Cause we deserve it. ;)

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I would considering removing this thread, or at least changing the details (make the setting in Metro DC, make “bicycle“ into “motorcycle”, etc). I know you think you are deidentified, but this is all discoverable for a lawyer with a mission to show you were only a little sore after his client hit you.

I agree. 

54 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I would considering removing this thread, or at least changing the details (make the setting in Metro DC, make “bicycle“ into “motorcycle”, etc). I know you think you are deidentified, but this is all discoverable for a lawyer with a mission to show you were only a little sore after his client hit you.

I'm good and an honest man so it's no big deal. The reports will be a matter of public record in a couple of days. I imagine lawyers will begin contacting me. Certainly the insurance company will be looking at the medical reports. I'll be following the release guidelines from the hospital.

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

So, this may be too soon, but I wonder if the sound he made when he was hit and landed was     DONK      POW!? 

So I was laying there spread eagle kissing the sky. The spectators were milling about, much of the hysteria had subsided. The rear tire on the bike blows out with a POW! The crowd goes silent. A single voice rises above the silence and says, "That's a gun shot!" She said it again to prove it as fact. Someone in the crowd muttered, "It's the bike tire." :)

4 minutes ago, donkpow said:

So I was laying there spread eagle kissing the sky. The spectators were milling about, much of the hysteria had subsided. The rear tire on the bike blows out with a POW! The crowd goes silent. A single voice rises above the silence and says, "That's a gun shot!" She said it again to prove it as fact. Someone in the crowd muttered, "It's the bike tire." :)

So you were carrying a gun?  Got it.  Are you licensed to carry a gun?  Did you shoot before or after you ran into my client the poor lady?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2