Man down!

donkpow

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

But the attorney who will be representing the poor woman you traumatized by hitting her with the back of your bicycle will likely be less pure.

...if she is not cited as at fault, you can kiss any reimbursement to repair your bike goodbye.  If you are cited as at fault (and cops here explain "mysterious" bike versus auto collisions here using the phrase "the bicyclist veered out into the traffic lane without warning" all the time), you might end up paying to buff out the scratches on her car.  

I only mention this because as a good and honest man, you seem to lack the proper degree of paranoia. :)

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...if she is not cited as at fault, you can kiss any reimbursement to repair your bike goodbye.  If you are cited as at fault (and cops here explain "mysterious" bike versus auto collisions here using the phrase "the bicyclist veered out into the traffic lane without warning" all the time), you might end up paying to buff out the scratches on her car.  

I only mention this because as a good and honest man, you seem to lack the proper degree of paranoia. :)

My feeling would be that Don needs an aggressive lawyer. My goal for his settlement would be - if completely healthy today and no further injuries from the accident - would be not just a new bike, but enough for a new car/SUV/truck.  $50k seems like a reasonable starting point.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

My feeling would be that Don needs an aggressive lawyer. My goal for his settlement would be - if completely healthy today and no further injuries from the accident - would be not just a new bike, but enough for a new car/SUV/truck.  $50k seems like a reasonable starting point.

Knock that down to the cost of an annual bus pass and you’re less overtly delusional, and way more practical.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

My BIL and I have been kidding around since I discovered the mini mini-vans like  the Ford Transit Connect. We call them 'clown cars'. He says I should shoot for a clown car as part of the settlement. :)

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, donkpow said:

My BIL and I have been kidding around since I discovered the mini mini-vans like  the Ford Transit Connect. We call them 'clown cars'. He says I should shoot for a clown car as part of the settlement. :)

read the fine print...*clowns not included 

• Haha 1

Glad you’re feeling ok. Hope that continues!

My car bike incident and damage was far less severe but still almost got me a new bike. If you speak to insurance people on the phone, make very sure they understand this is not a Walmart bike. I was very fortunate to get a guy on the phone who was a cyclist and had a pretty good understanding of the situation. 

Take photos of yourself in the clothing you wore while riding. If it goes to court, wear them to the hearing. It makes it hard to ignore you in the courtroom and delegitimizes the “i didn’t see him” defense.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

@donkpow, glad you're OK.  I agree with others, would you like this thread hidden?

You should probably just hide it.  Better safe than sorry. And do you want to deal with some crappy driver's bottom feeding lawyers sending you subpoenas for this thread?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

In his settlement, he should require front and rear cameras, a Garmin Varia set up, and an ebike - on top of the $50k.

3b0b0f1e-60bb-4820-8fe2-dc199a9ce791.jpg.6655c679c40ab8e04c9bcc9c6d9e0887.jpg

You know, I was just thinking about putting the Cycliq cameras on this bike. I have front and back facing cameras. I was just thinking that within the last week. It's a bit of a pain because I have to bring them in for recharge. That and I don't have a good mount for the back.

If I had an e-bike, the lady couldn't have caught me from behind. :)

• Haha 1

I'm really sorry to hear of this but I'm aware that such things are very common. It matters not a whit or jottle whether you were wearing all sorts of illuminations, as it's a matter of perception. The lady was alert only for something the shape, mass and traveling speed of a car.... and while you were imprinted upon her retina it was filtered out by her brain.

I'm just glad that you were unharmed.

• Awesome 1

On 2/27/2019 at 9:13 AM, donkpow said:

The lady said she didn't didn't see me 

I can believe it..people just don't pay attention when driving.

A good example 

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Kzoo said:

He cut a pasted that crap.  You know that.

You cynical swine........how could you say such a filthy thing.....you should be ashamed.

I make a gift of the benefits of my many years of study in Psychology and this is what I get.....sordid and demeaning smears......sigh.

14 hours ago, 12string said:

People who are distracted are subconsciously drawn towards color and motion.  As in cyclists trying to be colorful enough to get noticed by drivers who are paying attention

True....but unfortunately it doesn't work much of the time as I know from my experience. "I didn't see you" should feature on many of my dead friends' gravestones.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

Teflon Don will ride again!?‍♂️

Yes. Right now I have to get out there and put the old steed back together. I was scrapping it but now I need to use it. The regular road bike just doesn't have the versatility to properly serve my needs.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to return to the ER. Looks like I may have received a concussion in the crash and symptoms of that arose more than a week after the crash. Also had to have surgery on my elbow to remove infected material. 

I'm going to go lay down now. Please try to be quiet.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

I had to return to the ER. Looks like I may have received a concussion in the crash and symptoms of that arose more than a week after the crash. Also had to have surgery on my elbow to remove infected material. 

Sorry to hear this.  Was the elbow like one of the episodes of Dr. Pimple Popper?  Did they squeeze lots of good stuff out of it?

• Heart 1

That’s why you don’t settle too soon with an insurance company. I wish they made deer carry insurance. I wonder if I could have sued the game commission?

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Hoping you get better ASAP. 

My settlement amount is now growing - perhaps exponentially.  You best be LAWYERED up and playing HARDBALL.

• Awesome 2

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

That’s why you don’t settle too soon with an insurance company. I wish they made deer carry insurance. I wonder if I could have sued the game commission?

In a related note, EVERYONE NEEDS to MAXIMIZE their coverage for uninsured and UNDERinsured drivers.  If you have a million in coverage for your actions, get the million in coverage for their actions.  It's imperative - especially as a cyclist.

• Awesome 1

I settled the property damage claim today. Check's in the mail. I don't want to say how much except to say they exceeded the MSRP of $1620. I also get to keep whatever is left of the Cannondale.

Going in for a consultation tomorrow with a local power house personal injury firm. I think they will probably even sue Tom.

• Heart 3