All-Clad is garbage ***Now with broiler poll!

Randomguy

Do you use your broiler?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your unnecesary broiler?

• Yeah, I just can't wait to clean another filthy, greaseladen unnecessary appliance
    • I store stuff in it like baking sheets, like a normal person
    • All Clad is a garbage company and should either refund all purchasers or recall and retrofit decent handles
    • All of the above, but none of the below
    • All of the below, but none of the above, except for the part about All Clad, that stuff is garbage
    • I cook nude 100% of the time
    • I also never grill anything, because who wants to just stand there and cook when you could be drinking beer at a table and perving on the female guests

It sucks, you should just throw yours away if you have any.

Actually, it cooks nicely enough, but the handle ergonomics are the worst in the world, just seriously bad.  They didn't even bother to half-ass it, they just did whatever was easiest for them.  Horrible effort, really, how they sucker people into buying it is anyone's guess.

Btw, I realized that stoves are a bit high for short chicks to comfortably cook things on the stovetop and get a bird's-eye view of what is happening.  I am not a particularly short guy, but I am not overly tall either (5'10').  I think a broiler is really just a luxury, I don't know anyone that has actually used one, ever, so why wouldn't you just not automatically add one to every oven?  This would allow the cooktop to be lowered a bit for the shorter folks.

The end.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Wth do you use if for, specifically? 

...things I cook in the broiler sometimes:

1. Fish fillets (many different sorts of fish, whatever is fresh and reasonably priced) and steaks,

2. Frittatas (you start them on the stove top, and finish them in the broiler),

3. Melted cheese open faced sandwiches,

4. Garlic bread.

There are probably some things I'm forgetting.

I'm making ribs tonite, and this thread gave me an idea. Gotta whip up a rub, and cook at a low temp, prob 280. When they are close to done, gonna add stubbs bbq sauce, and then stick it under the broiler to cook that for a few minutes. I usually just stick it back in the oven, but I think this might work out nice.

• Awesome 1

34 minutes ago, late said:

I'm making ribs tonite, and this thread gave me an idea. Gotta whip up a rub, and cook at a low temp, prob 280. When they are close to done, gonna add stubbs bbq sauce, and then stick it under the broiler to cook that for a few minutes. I usually just stick it back in the oven, but I think this might work out nice.

...you can also pressure cook them after the rub, using beer or wine as your liquid on the bottom of the pressure cooker, for about 15 minutes. Then you finish crisp them in the broiler, with some sauce if you like them that way.  The meat comes out tender and sort of fall off the bone. St Louiis style is how it's referenced in the literature.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

No, serial broilers are idiots!  Go to hell, sir!

What do you broil, and why?  I think most people use them to store cookie sheets.

My broiler is part of my oven, not below it. It’s as clean as the rest of the oven. I use it often if I am making pizza and want the toppings to cook further without wanting too much extra cook time for the crust.

5 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...you can also pressure cook them after the rub, using beer or wine as your liquid on the bottom of the pressure cooker, for about 15 minutes. Then you finish crisp them in the broiler, with some sauce if you like them that way.  The meat comes out tender and sort of fall off the bone. St Louiis style is how it's referenced in the literature.

I'll try that sometime, the ribs are already in the oven at 240.

I used artificial sweetener in the rub, 3 kinds of paprika. Stubbs has one of the lowest carb counts in supermarket bbq sauces. So while it's ain't really low carb, it's not as bad as it would usually be.