Well I'm in trouble at work

Further

I'm seriously considering bidding into a production job. There is an opening posted in nondestructive testing. 

I worked 9 hours today repairing their crane. They load a piece into the machine and sit and watch the display for a few hours.

When the broken crane ended production, they sat and watched me.

I'm not sure about the money, I think it is close. But it is a job I could for several more years. Crane repair is becoming a struggle. Getting old sucks. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

32 minutes ago, Further said:

Got kinda pissed the other day and let a 'fuck you' slip at a boss.

Was told if I can't make nice with him I'll be facing three days off. Fucker is retired from the navy, didn't think he needed coddled like a millenial 

I'll probably kiss his ass, but three days off is tempting  

Hit the road and grab the 10-20% salary increase.  If a boss "deserves" a fuck you, then you deserve a better boss (or 10-20% more moolah or both)

• Heart 1

My current boss and I like each other.  Usually, I get very good reviews.  I had one boss that did not like me.  A woman.  I could not stand her.  Personally, I think I intimidated the shit out of her.  She tried to get rid of me.  It failed.  We had some departmental changes.  I still see her around.  She gives me a wide path.  HA!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

29 minutes ago, Further said:

Getting old sucks.

I don't think so. .I'm having the time of my life. 

And when your older you don't have to apologize for things that you say. They just think that you're  just a Grumpy Old man.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

My current boss and I like each other.  Usually, I get very good reviews.  I had one boss that did not like me.  A woman.  I could not stand her.  Personally, I think I intimidated the shit out of her.  She tried to get rid of me.  It failed.  We had some departmental changes.  I still see her around.  She gives me a wide path.  HA!

she stretch out yer sweater when you gave it to her?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Further said:

Was told if I can't make nice with him I'll be facing three days off. Fucker is retired from the navy, didn't think he needed coddled like a millenial 

If a simple apology isn't enough, take the 3 days off, Further. You really have little choice in the matter. The suspension has already been floated out there and they obviously have no appreciation of your value in repairing those cranes.

Take the 3 days before the crain is repaired. Use the time to walk around the lake and go to DQ. We will also expect to be entertained during the day in the Cafe which will be a treat for us. 

Cheese

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Scrapr said:

you know what is going to happen if you transfer in. Every time the crane breaks they ain't calling the crane repair center. They are calling  @Further to run up the pole & fix it. Then you are going to have to claim "My certification is expired" Which leads to BB (Big Boss) putting you in a week long class to re certify. One way or another you are fixing the crane

It is the Dilbert curse of competence.  The way of Wally is snot as easy as it sounds.  :D

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

6 hours ago, Further said:

I'm seriously considering bidding into a production job. There is an opening posted in nondestructive testing. 

I worked 9 hours today repairing their crane. They load a piece into the machine and sit and watch the display for a few hours.

When the broken crane ended production, they sat and watched me.

I'm not sure about the money, I think it is close. But it is a job I could for several more years. Crane repair is becoming a struggle. Getting old sucks. 

Every place I've ever worked at (all three!) had a department that was called the retirement home. :D

I find myself being put oot to pasture.  RIP. :D

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yay!  Life I should too short for bad bosses. Dealing with them can be an ordeal. The grand prize is when they get moved. ;) 

5 hours ago, Scrapr said:

you know what is going to happen if you transfer in. Every time the crane breaks they ain't calling the crane repair center. They are calling  @Further to run up the pole & fix it. Then you are going to have to claim "My certification is expired" Which leads to BB (Big Boss) putting you in a week long class to re certify. One way or another you are fixing the crane

Union shop, if I do maintenance work as a production worker there will be grievances 

• Awesome 1

8 hours ago, Further said:

Wouldn’t that go on your permanent record?

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I've never seen that happen. I am a settler. :D Like transferring bad priests though, it is a little sad to see other people get saddled  

The forge shop shitcanned bad supervisors all the time, along with some that were not that bad. They were always trying to talk union workers into taking management jobs because they knew their shit. 90% of the time they got turned down because we know how they treat their people.

• Awesome 2

I propose a fifty fifty deal....tell him you will kiss his ass for a day and a half if he gives ya the other day and a half off.... As a former Navy guy...your boss is a disgrace to the Uniform...LOL I helped a retired guy clean our church..our church...and I learned some damned "colorful navy-isms" from him  :whistle:

You must come up with a swear word in a different language...or a phrase that covers the frustration...

26 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Wouldn’t that go on your permanent record?

I'm planning on early retirement so I'm to the point where I don't care what's on my record. 

The company that I work at is so hard up for workers that I've seen people get fired and hired back 3 days later. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

I'm planning on early retirement so I'm to the point where I don't care what's on my record. 

The company that I work at is so hard up for workers that I've seen people get fired and hired back 3 days later. 

So, that's what they want to do with you, just without all the paperwork!

• Awesome 1

So, had my one on two today. Me, the guy I pissed off, maint manager.

Told the guy I was sorry that I had offended him and it wouldn't happen again.

He started babbling about why he was upset

I broke in with I'm sorry I offended you, what more do want ?

The manager jumped with a thats a wrap, we're all good here right ?

I was sorely tempted to tell him that I would go for the three days off, but that my wife had told me to hold out for 7 days.

At any rate it's over, sorta, cause shit ain't ever going to be the same for me.  The question never came up 'why is Further so upset' just how to smooth little dicks feelings.

I think this whole thing is kind of a negative for him, he's now known as the oldest millennial in the plant 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Further said:

I was sorely tempted to tell him that I would go for the three days off, but that my wife had told me to hold out for 7 days.

I would have said it. 

I got in a argument with one of the machine oporators at work and she filled a complaint about me. So I get hauled to the office and get a warning that if they have one more complaint about me they would write me up. The boss didn't find it funny when I asked him ....how many points do I need to get fired? 

I just don't care anymore 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I just don't care anymore 

I need 3 more years, I'm way too old to go get a real job. I signed the bid sheet for the NDT job, if the job makes it to me I very well may take it.

I never saw myself doing anything other than maintenance, construction type work but I need a change. 

• Heart 2

22 minutes ago, Further said:

I never saw myself doing anything other than maintenance, construction type work but I need a change

I have been working machine maintenance for 35 years and I'm in need of a change. 

If Wo46 and I will be able to retire we will probably just pickup some part time Jobs somewhere because I just can't sit around and do nothing. I have had a few people asking about building sidecar frames for them. 

A friend of mine works with a landscaper and they will be looking for people to cut grass. I can drive a lawnmower,.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Further said:

Ya gotta keep the wheels on the ground or the customers get pissed....

I've never jumped a zero turn before but I'll give it a shot. Is a helmet required for grass cutting? 

• Haha 2

Had a superintendent callme this week crying that our dispatcher yelled at him....on the phone.I'm like wtf? This is construction. We are beotching about a little yellin on the phone? Enough to bring it upto the boss? I made a quick calculation in my head on the profitability of this account and decided to make nice.The only time a dispute should get kicked up to the boss is when a weapon comes out. And then I'm only askin if anyone was hit. Otherwise...we good

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/28/2019 at 7:13 AM, petitepedal said:

I propose a fifty fifty deal....tell him you will kiss his ass for a day and a half if he gives ya the other day and a half off.... As a former Navy guy...your boss is a disgrace to the Uniform...LOL I helped a retired guy clean our church..our church...and I learned some damned "colorful navy-isms" from him  :whistle:

You must come up with a swear word in a different language...or a phrase that covers the frustration...

Just for fun, a glossary of naval terms, but probably not the ones you're looking for.  It is a foreign language.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_U.S._Navy_slang

11 hours ago, Further said:

We had a lot of guys at the forge played that game. Mandatory overtime and if you called off you got points. Too many points and you got time off without pay. Supposed to get fired if your points reached 11. They never fired a good worker for that. The extra points would just magically disappear so they wouldn’t have to fire them. They would try to make a deal sometimes and tell them they would just give them the points but not the time off without pay. The guys always told them if they couldn’t have the time off they won’t accept the points.

9 hours ago, BR46 said:

I've never jumped a zero turn before but I'll give it a shot. Is a helmet required for grass cutting? 

If you are mowing around a lot of trees I’d suggest a hard hat. Jumping zero turns the deck always seems to get hung up on the landing. My first zero turn was a Torro with a pressed deck. Great mower/crappy deck. I welded that deck so many times I lost track. The mower I have now has a fabricated deck, much better.

• Heart 1

On 2/27/2019 at 9:58 PM, Further said:

It sounds like you're leaning toward a harder-to-swallow but more sensible outcome. It usually doesn't pay to have a boss pissed off at you in an ongoing relationship.  I'd make nice.  You've already accomplished the mission of giving him the message you wanted to give him.  Whether you agree of not, it usually makes your job harder and more stressful if you convey to management that you are not a "team player" even, and maybe especially, when you are right. So even if you disagree with him, give him the impression you are with the program.

• Heart 1

...so I've been sitting here after reading this thread for about ten minutes trying to think of a boss I had somewhere along the line who I liked, respected, and got along well with.  So far no luck, but I have a pretty complicated work history. In the early years, you pretty much always have shit jobs, so those are out.  My boss when I was a cab driver was me, and I know I'm a jerk. :(  Every boss or manager I ever had at Social Security, in my failed attempt at career bureaucracy was a backstabbing, suckbutt idiot, so that's 8 years out the window.  And the local fire department is somewhat legendary for managerial dysfunction.

Possibly the guy who ran the living history park in Green Bay, where I was the blacksmith for a season ?  I always thought he treated me well and fairly. :)   

3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...so I've been sitting here after reading this thread for about ten minutes trying to think of a boss I had somewhere along the line who I liked, respected, and got along well with.  So far no luck, but I have a pretty complicated work history. In the early years, you pretty much always have shit jobs, so those are out.  My boss when I was a cab driver was me, and I know I'm a jerk. :(  Every boss or manager I ever had at Social Security, in my failed attempt at career bureaucracy was a backstabbing, suckbutt idiot, so that's 8 years out the window.  And the local fire department is somewhat legendary for managerial dysfunction.

Possibly the guy who ran the living history park in Green Bay, where I was the blacksmith for a season ?  I always thought he treated me well and fairly. :)   

Man, the life some of you lead.

• Haha 1

I am a hard worker and usually know what I'm doing, most of my bosses have recognized this and put up with my occasional temper tantrum. This guy is new in the plant and wants to make a name for himself, well he has. and I don't think it is going to help him.

Oldest Millennial is not a title of honor  

• Haha 3

My boss is a pretty good dude but likes to pontificate and give unnecessary direction.  I’m working on an investigation with a facilities manager who reports to a Facilities director but his boss and  I both report to this guy.

So anyway I personally think this investigation is bullshit but I’m going along with it. I told my boss as much so he told this facilities manager to put pressure on me to get what he needs.   Facilities manager is a good dude, knows I’m doing all I can and so told me this.

So I call our boss with Facilities manager in the room, put him on speaker  and tell boss that if the facilities manager doesn’t back the fuck off I’ll fucking break his legs.  I’m fucking serious, he has no fucking clue what I do and I don’t need him on my ass.  He needs to stick to fucking toilets.

OK, OK geez Chris relax.  I then start busting up and Facilities Manager chimes in, gotcha!  I tell boss, put pressure on me my ass!  He called us both motherfuckers and hung up!

????

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Page Turner said:

I've had good and bad ones.  When my mother was getting chemotherapy to extend her life from cancer, the principal and guidance counselors (including one who had been a student of mine) at the school in which I taught went through a lot of headaches to arrange my 2nd semester schedule so I had my planning period at the end of the school day. Having no class to teach allowed me to leave early 2-3 days per week to take my mother to chemotherapy and make up the time on other days.