Small town USA

Dirtyhip

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

We can't afford Kauai.  Oregon is going to be a stretch fir early retirement.

Consider that a 1,000 square foot home on Kauai is like a 4,000 sq ft home on the mainland, since you can basically "live" outside year around :)  Like glamping x100.  Jsharr might want to be your neighbor.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Consider that a 1,000 square foot home on Kauai is like a 4,000 sq ft home on the mainland, since you can basically "live" outside year around :)  Like glamping x100.  Jsharr might want to be your neighbor.

I looked at land prices, and cheap homes.  Shit.  No way.  

Our home is paid off.  The bills are pretty nil. Why screw that up.  Also, my biking is better in Oregon.  We've rode in Kauai.  We rented mountain bikes and rode in Kapaa.  It was ok.  The riding we have here is pretty off the hook awesome.

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Who knows what the future will bring?  Times may be a changing.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

THIS!  I expect more strange weather, not less.

We will see what the next four years will bring to us.

Are two freaking serious right now?  

I’m going to figure DH did her homework and knows the average snowfall in Oakridge OR is 4 inches.  You are also experiencing an unprecedented snowfall. Central OR has never, let me repeat NEVER had this much snow in recorded history.  

If Oakridge checked all the boxes and you are now worried what might happen with the weather after a year of historic snowfall I’d think the cold is affecting your decision making.

Or quit worrying about what the weather might do in 4 years and get a freaking dilly bar or move to Kauai and not worry about the snow.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Or quit worrying about what the weather might do in 4 years and get a freaking dilly bar or move to Kauai and not worry about the snow.

I gotta say, I have never had a Dilly Bar, but it is now HIGH on my list. I have to hit a DQ ASAP!  There is one about two miles down the path in Herndon(!) that I always tell myself I should stop at, and now I have a great reason!

image.png.1554eb1bb6f223a5ee0f9943ff102e76.png

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Are two freaking serious right now?  

I’m going to figure DH did her homework and knows the average snowfall in Oakridge OR is 4 inches.  You are also experiencing an unprecedented snowfall. Central OR has never, let me repeat NEVER had this much snow in recorded history.  

If Oakridge checked all the boxes and you are now worried what might happen with the weather after a year of historic snowfall I’d think the cold is affecting your decision making.

Make mine a Buster Bar please. And extra snow if possible. It looks like we set a record for Feb. Closing in on the snowiest month ever.

10” 24 HRS

452” SEASON

20° SUMMIT

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I gotta say, I have never had a Dilly Bar, but it is now HIGH on my list. I have to hit a DQ ASAP!  There is one about two miles down the path in Herndon(!) that I always tell myself I should stop at, and now I have a great reason!

image.png.1554eb1bb6f223a5ee0f9943ff102e76.png

Go all in and get the Buster Bar. You won't be disappointed. You might just order a whole box and take some home. Your wife will be pleased. 

WOW, old ChrisL is now a weather predictor.  Who is to say this is not the beginning of a pattern of erratic weather in various places.  I've never noticed anything in your credentials that would set you off in such a way, from our statements.  Hopefully, you noticed I said: " Times may be a changing".  I think you are the one that needs a Dilly or Buster bar to eat while you bask in the warmth of Sunny CA.

Just now, sheep_herder said:

WOW, old ChrisL is now a weather predictor.  Who is to say this is not the beginning of a pattern of erratic weather in various places.  I've never noticed anything in your credentials that would set you off in such a way, from our statements.  Hopefully, you noticed I said: " Times may be a changing".  I think you are the one that needs a Dilly or Buster bar to eat while you bask in the warmth of Sunny CA.

I think his final sentence telegraphed his "joking" manner for the post.  A good hearted ribbing for you two.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think his final sentence telegraphed his "joking" manner for the post.  A good hearted ribbing for you two.

Sounded a bit more pompous than a snide joke.  I like the way he was quoting averages, without mentioning extremes that have happened in other places during the past few years.  You know I make do with the situation at hand, but try and be prepared for the serious times.  I just do not plan very many 150mile trips to Billings this time of the year.

Just now, sheep_herder said:

Sounded a bit more pompous than a snide joke.  I like the way he was quoting averages, without mentioning extremes that have happened in other places during the past few years.  You know I make do with the situation at hand, but try and be prepared for the serious times.  I just do not plan very many 150mile trips to Billings this time of the year.

I've been pushing Hawaii (or the Texas Coast), for folks to get away from this weather.  Just make sure a property on the coast is on stilts.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I've been pushing Hawaii (or the Texas Coast), for folks to get away from this weather.  Just make sure a property on the coast is on stilts.

I thought I was the one that mentioned south Texas.  You must be having a slow day at the office.  I am drinking a cup of coffee before heading out for a busy day, as I need to haul a load of hay, defrost a water fountain, take delivery of a round bale of hay for the horses, go to town for supplies and feed all the critters. Who knows, I might even find a baby or two, but there were not any at the early morning check.

33 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Ahem, who needs a dilly bar?

The only thing I’m getting at is I think it funny that the forum badass (sorry BuffJimm) is second guessing herself based on this winter’s snowfall.  The one who tells us to HTFU sounds like one of us now... Ohhh it might snow, I better not move there...  Ohh I might crash, I better not schralp... 

Oh wait that’s right my side gig is weather forecaster.... ? 

Dilly bars anyone!?!?

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I have never had a Dilly Bar

Get ready to be disappointed.  

First, you take the concept of a dipped cone, but you throw away the cone and put a stick up its ass.  Then you flatten and freeze the shit out of it so what you are left with is a slightly bigger version of your garden variety eskimo pie.  

The beauty of the dipped cone is that everything is optimized for freshness, and you have the warm dip as a complementary component to the cold soft-serve.  Plus, you aren't just some plebeian holding onto a stick, you hold a cone like royalty.  It is all-encompassing.  In a Dilly Bar, everything is optimized for shipping and storage and it is a lifeless thing.

Just get a dipped cone instead.  Get me one, too.

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Get ready to be disappointed.  

First, you take the concept of a dipped cone, but you throw away the cone and put a stick up its ass.  Then you flatten and freeze the shit out of it so what you are left with is a slightly bigger version of your garden variety eskimo pie.  

The beauty of the dipped cone is that everything is optimized for freshness, and you have the warm dip as a complementary component to the cold soft-serve.  Plus, you aren't just some plebeian holding onto a stick, you hold a cone like royalty.  It is all-encompassing.  In a Dilly Bar, everything is optimized for shipping and storage and it is a lifeless thing.

Just get a dipped cone instead.  Get me one, too.

Buster bar. It is nature's perfect food. 

It is a dipped cone with fudge and peanuts, and yes, a stick up it's ass for easy consumption. Get a 6 pack and you will soon have five new friends. 

buster_box.png

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, dennis said:

Buster bar. It is nature's perfect food. 

It is a dipped cone with fudge and peanuts, and yes, a stick up it's ass for easy consumption. Get a 6 pack and you will soon have five new friends. 

buster_box.png

How do you feel about the Peanut Buster Parfait?  It is more civilized and genteel and it does not have a  stick up it's ass.

Related image

• Heart 1
  • Envious 2

Just now, jsharr said:

How do you feel about the Peanut Buster Parfait?  It is more civilized and genteel and it does not have a  stick up it's ass.

Related image

They are seriously delightful especially with the extra long red spoon.

Save the spoon. You never know when you'll misplace your window scraper and that spoon is all you've got to scrape the ice off your window. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, dennis said:

They are seriously delightful especially with the extra long red spoon.

Save the spoon. You never know when you'll misplace your window scraper and that spoon is all you've got to scrape the ice off your window. 

I really think they need whipped cream and a cherry, but that is just me.   I always enjoy a PBP when I order one, but I do not get them that often.  I am a sucker for the basic chocolate dip cone.  I never did care for any of the other flavors, like cherry.

BTW, Dennis, you might add a trip to this old throwback DQ to your list.  They have grandfathered contract and can still make some of the old treats

https://www.bustle.com/articles/99730-5-throwback-dairy-queen-menu-items-you-can-still-order-if-you-know-where-to

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Thank you.  

I am looking at this property as a retirement zone.  Just seeing now the potential of very bad things,  The locals already warned me about closed roads and loss of power for days.  Honestly, I thought they were exaggerating.  We may still go.  My feet went cold after all of this..

I'm in the suburbs and we've lost power for a number of days a few times.  It's a bother, but certainly not something that would make me move from a place I otherwise liked.  If I weren't working, I'd just pack up and go stay with a friend or one of my sisters for a few days and come home when the fun was over.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Thank you.  

I am looking at this property as a retirement zone.  Just seeing now the potential of very bad things,  The locals already warned me about closed roads and loss of power for days.  Honestly, I thought they were exaggerating.  We may still go.  My feet went cold after all of this..

What is a few days for a prepper such as yourself?  Seriously, I could ride out a few days, certainly you could!

No make or break in that at all, big deal.

When we lived in Illinois the electricity would go out monthly. Once we were without power for almost a week. :angry:

When we moved to Hayseed Wisconsin and Mr. Haney's Electric grid, I figured I best buy a generator. After 20 years, the electricity has only gone out a handful of times, and then, only for a few moments each time. So, I have a brand new 20 year old generator still in the box. I should probably replace the container of 20 year old oil it came with, just in case. <_< 

• Heart 1

@Razors Edge gives great advice -- not.  He thinks Hawaii is a paradise.  But he forgets that the northern winds are changing and thus far less water is heading that way.  Not only that, but he's only visited there as a visitor and it was an oasis from the hell hole tech biz he works under.  But living in HI would give him cabin fever and unless he goes to Maui -- he can kiss his biking endeavors goodbye.  And just about everything he's used to must be shipped over -- so unless paying $9 for a gallon of milk, for example, is your thing -- get ready to get gauged.  Not only that, the electricity on the islands almost all comes from imported oil.  Of course, you won't have those winters to heat your home but the point is -- almost all your goods are going to be imported.  Finally, from a man who likes to extend his thinking, dude has obviously never experienced island fever.  Folks over there can't wait to get the hell off it when they can. Finally++, the real estate is insane because big money wants a piece of it -- and not just from the States..  Like most things, you gotta have monies to get in.