R.I.P. , Dad

groupw

Got a phone call from Mom at 3:30 this morning that my dad passed away in his sleep. The dog woke her. She thought she wanted out, but she went to Dad’s chair. His breathing was erratic and he never revived. 

We sat with Mom for a couple hours. There was a collective numbness and relief that he is no longer in pain. The last couple years were pretty rough! We will meet again at the funeral home for final arrangements. We had pre-paid a while back when things were getting bad for him. We wanted to do so while he was lucid and we could ask his wishes. 

• Sad 19

Over the last 9 years, we probably said goodbyes 6 or 7 times when he was not expected to leave the hospital. 

I saw him yesterday to help mom get him into the house after a surgical procedure for a pain pump. It was apparently just too much for his very weak body. No regrets. 

He would shut down a lot in groups the last couple years. I was glad he was active in conversation when youngest daughter was back a couple weeks ago. 

36 minutes ago, groupw said:

Got a phone call from Mom at 3:30 this morning that my dad passed away in his sleep. The dog woke her. She thought she wanted out, but she went to Dad’s chair. His breathing was erratic and he never revived. 

We sat with Mom for a couple hours. There was a collective numbness and relief that he is no longer in pain. The last couple years were pretty rough! We will meet again at the funeral home for final arrangements. We had pre-paid a while back when things were getting bad for him. We wanted to do so while he was lucid and we could ask his wishes. 

Sorry for your loss. I've been there with both parents.

• Heart 1

I am very sorry to hear this.  Even though you are comforted by the fact he's not in pain anymore, it's always hard to lose a loved one.  I'm glad you could be there for your Mom to help handle things.  Having you there made a big difference to her.

• Heart 1

He would have been 81 at the end of March. He had a pain pump installed yesterday but he seemed ok after the procedure aside from being very tired. It must have been too much for him. We knew it was a risk going in. He is no longer in pain. We are a mix of numb and relieved. 

• Sad 1