How do local radio stations make money now?

AirwickWithCheese

Our tiny little town has three commercial and one listener sponsored. They all survive.

The most successful one has lots of sponsored pieces. Trivia by one business, ski report, catch of the day etc. 

I listen in the morning. It's awesome. They play good music. Trivia is fun. I've won a bunch of stuff.

• Heart 1

43 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I ask myself that about most bricks and mortar establishments these days.  Rent, overhead, and payroll are BIG hurdles every day of the week.

Business is business. It has to be well run to succeed. 

I find it funny that people who shop mostly online don't understand how B&M can survive. People who don't listen to local radio don't understand how it survives. People who prefer e-books think print is dead. The fact is 70% of book sales are print. It's kind of absurd to think print is dead.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Local radio stations? Do some places still have those?

I think many have become christian revival preachy type big-name pastor-oriented give-us-your-money stations.  That or massively repressive angry republican fascist propaganda machines.  There are apparently a lot of angry republicans, and you know what?  They have had their gang in charge recently and they just don't seem any happier about things.  Oh, and they listen to talk radio all the time, too.  You need a lot of brainwashing/repetition for bullshit to sound good.

• Whatever 2

2 hours ago, dennis said:

I find it funny that people who shop mostly online don't understand how B&M can survive. People who don't listen to local radio don't understand how it survives. People who prefer e-books think print is dead. The fact is 70% of book sales are print. It's kind of absurd to think print is dead.

I eat out at restaurants several times a week. I purchase all my food & drink locally. I have two LBS just three miles in either direction down the bike trail right outside my front door.  Within EASY walking distance, I have over 50 restaurants to choose from. Within easy cycling, I have several hundred.  I can walk to my two favorite grocery stores, but have at least another five (and more coming) other grocery stores I could walk to and probably a couple dozen I could quickly cycle to.  Lots of retail too, but I really don't need much more than I already have.  I can walk to the library and the hospital in five minutes or so. I don't really think I am that "disconnected" from local businesses, just still amazed that some survive.

Regarding ebooks, my library offers them and Amazon offers them and many publishers directly offer them. I really like not having to add it to the bookshelf or return it to the library or decide if I should donate it or not.  I'm sold on ebooks.

Local radio, though, is just the local NPR and the local news channels for me. I'm rarely in the car, even rarer listening to the radio. Just the way it is nowadays. I used to also buy vinyl, then cassettes, and then CDs, but I'm almost all digital all the time in that regard too.  It's another "do I need more stuff or can I get all the 'content' without the 'packaging' thing.

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I eat out at restaurants several times a week. I purchase all my food & drink locally. I have two LBS just three miles in either direction down the bike trail right outside my front door.  Within EASY walking distance, I have over 50 restaurants to choose from. Within easy cycling, I have several hundred.  I can walk to my two favorite grocery stores, but have at least another five (and more coming) other grocery stores I could walk to and probably a couple dozen I could quickly cycle to.  Lots of retail too, but I really don't need much more than I already have.  I can walk to the library and the hospital in five minutes or so. I don't really think I am that "disconnected" from local businesses, just still amazed that some survive.

Regarding ebooks, my library offers them and Amazon offers them and many publishers directly offer them. I really like not having to add it to the bookshelf or return it to the library or decide if I should donate it or not.  I'm sold on ebooks.

Local radio, though, is just the local NPR and the local news channels for me. I'm rarely in the car, even rarer listening to the radio. Just the way it is nowadays. I used to also buy vinyl, then cassettes, and then CDs, but I'm almost all digital all the time in that regard too.  It's another "do I need more stuff or can I get all the 'content' without the 'packaging' thing.

You are not in the demographics this thread is about noob.  Go open the window and listen to the police cars.

49 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I used to also buy vinyl, then cassettes, and then CDs, but I'm almost all digital all the time in that regard too.  It's another "do I need more stuff or can I get all the 'content' without the 'packaging' thing.

...I just got Laura Nyro's first five albums on CD in the mail.  The packaging is minimal, and it's more useful to me in that format.