My foot hurts

2Far

Started on the way back from SC. Top, just behind middle toes. Hurt more when flexed it. Took my boot off. Seemed to calm down while I drove. Got home, took 4 Ibu, put a cold pack on it. 

Now it's swollen on the bottom, mostly under the great toe, but that joint doesn't hurt. It's not red. I don't think it's the gout. 

Doesn't really hurt until I move it or put pressure on it. Then it lights me up. 

Dunno. 

Hopefully it's a minor sprain that will heal in several days.

As a track and cross country coach, I used to hate trying to treat injuries near the toes involving the flexor and metatarsal, etc. tendons where you can't tape it into a position to minimize pain as easily as you can with an ankle!

The best I could do was make several tape stirrups that ran under the middle of the foot and ran back to each side of the lower leg, pulling the toes up. I then ran tape circles around the lower leg over the stirrups to keep the stirrups from slipping.  With the toes raised, walking or running pressure was more on the heel than the toe.

The stirrups would be like the one in red below except there would be 3-4 stirrups, the highest points would be toward the back of the leg instead of the front as shown, and the injured athlete would point his toes up as much as possible while the stirrups were being applied so that his/her heel would carry more weight when standing.

760286882_Anklewrap1.jpg.8400191d7506b09c22507876247e66b3.jpg

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

How high were the heels? Sometimes If I wear my "big girl" shoes...the ones with the 3 inch heels...I get a similar pain..when I am walking more than I anticipated :whistle:

Safety toed boots all day. The kind of boots I've worn for 20+ years, although this pair is nering the end of their life cycle. I do have a pair of Dr. Scholl's "active insoles" or sumsuch in them.

I really don't think it's gout (I have had it in the past). It isn't red at all, & there's little discomfort until I move it or put pressure on it.

It really came up suddenly, about an hour after my previous stop/walkaround.

I have gout and it certainly sounds like gout to me especially the big toe and flex parts.

In the future make sure to stay hydrated; avoid shellfish and some legumes like peas; and sadly cut back on alcohol. Also if you are on a diuretic for blood pressure, talk to your doctor. Diuretics keep you a little dehydrated all the time and when I started taking one, the gout really kicked up.

I mostly control my gout by watching my diet. When it does kick in, I have a prescription for Indocin (Indomethacin) to help with the recovery.

There's a simple blood test that can rule out gout.

24 minutes ago, donkpow said:

It sounds like a motor vehicle accident to me. I have been hit by a car and pain came about quite suddenly. Did you get hit by a car and didn't know it? Maybe while you were sleeping or riding a bike?

Well, I was driving in South Carolina at the time, so maybe (given the driving quality of the natives)

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, donkpow said:

It sounds like a motor vehicle accident to me. I have been hit by a car and pain came about quite suddenly. Did you get hit by a car and didn't know it? Maybe while you were sleeping or riding a bike?

Glad to see the lucidity has passed.

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1

4 hours ago, 2Far said:

Hurts less this AM, swelling is down.

Feels like a stone bruise under middle toe joint, though I don't know how that could have happened.

No idea how it happened is the tough part.  Were you walking, running, or hiking? Did you drop something on it?  It is hard to get swelling without some trauma, and we usually notice trauma :(  But damn, the older I get, the more "WTF is this hurting" question becomes more and more common.

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

No idea how it happened is the tough part.  Were you walking, running, or hiking? Did you drop something on it?  It is hard to get swelling without some trauma, and we usually notice trauma :(  But damn, the older I get, the more "WTF is this hurting" question becomes more and more common.

Amen to that.

9 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Pain is totally gone, has been since about mid-morning. Dunno about the swelling, but it is not sensitive to pressure at all.

Weird.

That happens when you take the stone out of the boot or sort'a wiggle the stone out of the way.  Just be happy it didn't get bruised.  Those stone bruises can be nasty.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1