You know what is a bunch of bullshit?

Dirtyhip

I haven’t followed this closely but just because someone identifies as a particular gender doesn’t biologically make them one. After sex changes & hormone therapy there are still physiological differences between a biological and transformed female.  

I wonder if a bunch of NBA pros suddenly identified as women, could they competed women in the Olympics?

10 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I haven’t followed this closely but just because someone identifies as a particular gender doesn’t biologically make them one. After sex changes & hormone therapy there are still physiological differences between a biological and transformed female.  

I wonder if a bunch of NBA pros suddenly identified as women, could they competed women in the Olympics?

This is the way gender is going.  The implications for women's sports is enormous,  A man transitioning is still much stronger than women, by average measurements.

OK, beyond Olympics, I saw it first hand at a race I did.  Several of the competitors …  

I still did amazingly well, despite a crash, but I should not have to race those "girls."  It is not fair. There is less implication with men's sports, IMHO.  Doubtful that it causes an issue for fair competition.

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

????

What is being discussed here? No links?

There are tons of articles on the topic.  We are discussing the fact that transgender athletes are racing in the women's class.  

I types transgender athlete in the googlator and randomly picked an article for you, since you asked.  ?

https://news.yahoo.com/debate-transgender-athletes-021911396.html

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Folks pretending to be the opposite sex has always been a bunch of bullshit. Anyone that thinks otherwise is nuts.

I hope the number of transgender folks remains small.  Are there that many transgendered folks, with transgender rights, etc.?   For those who have serious psychological issues until they became another sex, it can help.  I guess. I really think becoming a woman or man requires relearning some stuff....in human relationships.  

I'm so glad that being gay is less of big deal these days for more people. Clears the air on that side.

Even if society becomes "equal" in treatment and attitudes of female and male, there still enough crap going on to teach children to behave.  

I haven't paid attention to transgender folks in competitive sports.  

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Changing the sex rules in sports.  It will ruin women's sports we know it.

It hurts high school girls' softball now and should be changed back, at least partially. Originally, when high school sports opened to girls, they were generally not highly skilled because of limited childhood girls' sports leagues so they made the fields too small for today's abilities.

High school softball has 60 feet between the bases (compared to 90 feet for boys and major league baseball) and about 40 feet from the mound to the plate (the college NCAA standard is 43 feet which many high schools also use), 2/3 the major league distance. Today's high school pitchers can windmill a softball around 60 mph, 2/3 the typical major league baseball velocity, so the high school batter has the same amount of time to see the ball as a major league batter - actually LESS time because a good windmill pitcher is stretched-out a lot toward the plate and her foot is just leaving the mound as her far-forward pitching hand is just releasing the ball.

As a result, high school softball games between two very good teams often end with scores like 2-1, 1-0, and involve a lot of bunting, trying to move a runner into scoring position, squeeze plays where the batter bunts with the runner on 3rd, etc.  Each team striking out 10-15 times in 7 innings (21 outs) is not unusual. It's due to the teams usually having one of more excellent pitchers but not a team full of hitters that are as capable. When a relatively weak batter is up, there's a pitching trick called "walking the ladder."  If the batter swings slightly under the first pitch, the pitcher throws each of the following pitches a little higher each time and the batter won't usually adjust the swing enough and keeps missing the pitch. The tactic works because the batter has to begin her swing before the ball has left the pitcher's hand and has to guess where the ball will cross the plate.

At the college women's softball level, the batters are more uniformly able to hit and you have less striking out, but the bases should be more like 75 feet. But it won't change because they'd have to do a lot of work with the fields, many of which are artificial turf today except for the baselines or dirt-infield.

• Heart 1

On 3/1/2019 at 7:57 PM, Square Wheels said:

I identify as a woman.

A friend of my wife's, was no doubt at some time in the recent past a man.  She raced on the road in the women's classes and won most of the time.  An absolute beast. 

This explains the large breasts 

11 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

????

What is being discussed here? No links?

...whether or not I have a legitimate gripe about being born a smokin' hot lesbian sex addict with a gorgeous body and perky little breasts, but trapped inside this oafish man's body.  It's not fair in any sense of the word. :( 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Fucking liberals.

Mostly, this is the type of voter that I identify as.

I do understand that people have certain tendencies.  I try to be warm and kind to everyone.  This thing with gender really is screwing up women's sports.  Not sure what it is doing with men's sports.  Possibly, the game is being modified to accept the weaker muscular frame of a women?  A transitioning female athlete is weaker than your average male athlete.

I see a couple of scenarios playing out with transgender in sports.  1.  The game will be modified, thus ruining the purity of competition.  2.  The ladies grow tires of the non-level field and just stop competing. 

After my race, I have had thoughts about what the future will be like in amateur racing. When I saw "women" who I should not be racing against, I was a little sad.  Those "girls" were nice, but the field was fucked.

• Heart 1

Seen a lot of complaints concerning this very thing lately.  I’ve also seen lots of comments like this one in social media:

“Ladies smashing records held by men for the last decade. Hell Yeah! Ladies rule. #girlswhoride”

So, I’m confused.  Women get all excited about besting men in some sport, but then get upset when rules allow Transgendered women to compete with them?  What’s the deal?  You want to beat men, then this shouldn’t be an issue.

9 minutes ago, Zealot said:

Seen a lot of complaints concerning this very thing lately.  I’ve also seen lots of comments like this one in social media:

“Ladies smashing records held by men for the last decade. Hell Yeah! Ladies rule. #girlswhoride”

So, I’m confused.  Women get all excited about besting men in some sport, but then get upset when rules allow Transgendered women to compete with them?  What’s the deal?  You want to beat men, then this shouldn’t be an issue.

What about women who want to compete against women?

...road racing is stupid anyway. Sorry, but it just leads to all sorts of unfortunate outcomes. Among the enlightened (and it tuns out these people became enlightened through pain from chronic sports injuries), we have a saying. "He travels fastest who travels alone."    That's a philosophical way of saying, "I'm not gonna race in a pack with some amateur idiots who can take down everyone in their immediate vicinity just because of the stupid.":)

And when you start talking about downhill racing on MTB's, these guys are doing you a favor. Your orthopedic surgeon will need to find some other way to put his kids through college. :biker: