It's a trap!!

2Far

Well, it wasn't but it sure looked like one. 

Wo2 tells me this AM that the doorbell rang about 11 last night. I was sleeping but she was watching the idiot box. We have a Next doorbell/cam, so she looks and it is an older woman with a 3 yo child. 

(My spidey sense is tingling )

Wo2 asks her thru the bell what's going on. Say the woman looked surprised, but she said she found an unattended child ?She had been riding a big wheel in the road ?

About that time she says "Oh never mind!" And walks across the street & down the side street to the house on the end where there's another older woman walking towards them. 

Ours is the first house on the street, it's only 60' to my driveway. It coulda been tragic. 

• Confused 1

It's sad that we are -for good and wise reasons- afraid to open our doors in the evenings now. When I was a kid in the so-called "sick 60's" we didn't even lock them.

Some guy knocked on my door at 2 am a while back.  Looking through the very small door window, I saw a tall, very-strong looking guy in his 20's and asked through the door what he wanted. He needed "cab" money to get to Fort Avenue in South Baltimore.  I told him I don't use cash anymore, that there were buses a half mile's walk away, that one block away is "Church Street" with three churches where he could seek help, and that I've done that 5 mile walk to Fort Avenue myself (when I was younger) and it would take him less than 2 hours.

He didn't want to take no for an answer and kept asking for money I said I didn't have. I asked him if he wanted the police to help him, because I had them on my phone.  He left.

Why are these kinds of things so much more frequent now?

I love my Ring doorbell... It lets me know if I need to put a round in the chamber before going to my door. 

I have caught some weird crap on my doorbell from people trying to scam door-to-door, and I LOVE messing with the door-to-door bible thumpers... I can make them read versus to me as I put them on mute and go do something else... nothing like making them waste their time as I keep screaming HAIL SATAN into my phone.

9 hours ago, KrAzY said:

It lets me know if I need to put a round in the chamber before going to my door.

I leave a round in the chamber at all times.  Various reasons; there are no children in the house, WofTy has her own gun (a revolver), and I may not have the time to chamber one in an emergency.  That being said, it's time to swap clips out.  :)

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tybeegb said:

I leave a round in the chamber at all times.  Various reasons; there are no children in the house, WofTy has her own gun (a revolver), and I may not have the time to chamber one in an emergency.  That being said, it's time to swap clips out.  :)

None of my guns have a manufacturer safety. I like to play it smart at times.

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

I prefer the "Decocker Only" safety, e.g. Beretta G models. The first on is DA, the rest SA.

I have rock salt in one barrel of my shotgun, the other is a hunting slug. 
You just never know what option you will need

• Heart 2

Sounds like a security challenge living in detached homes/townhouses/semis  vs. condos.  Condos have other challenges but that's one thing that doesn't happen much at all...strangers at door. 

For sure, another reason why I've never been keen to live in rural areas. Unless one has a big dog/trained dog that yaps at the right time. Kudos to the solo resident in those areas....and as they age/get more frail.  ?

Violent home invasions in our city have occurred in the suburbs..either resident is at home or away. Meaning the invader wants to knock you down, etc.   

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Ruby would jump and lick any intruder to death!

my beagle would bark if she woke up.. granted she is blind and would be looking the wrong direction, Our Pitt bull would try and lick them as out lab dobie mix would bark and want to play fetch... 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Sounds like a security challenge living in detached homes/townhouses/semis  vs. condos.  Condos have other challenges but that's one thing that doesn't happen much at all...strangers at door. 

For sure, another reason why I've never been keen to live in rural areas. Unless one has a big dog/trained dog that yaps at the right time. Kudos to the solo resident in those areas....and as they age/get more frail.  ?

Interesting perspective.  One of the reasons we moved from our last detached house was that it was getting to crowded in the area.   Here at the new house, I just remarked that not a single car has gone by the house all day.

• Heart 1