Sunday Breakfast - is it sacriligious to toast a bagel or have one with all kinds of shit in it?

Ralphie

The local bagel place has a cinnamon sugar chocolate chip bagel that is fantastic!  I don't indulge in sugar THAT often, but this is wonderful - nice big tasty crystals.  Toasted, and today I had cream cheese on it, but normally I have butter which complements it much better, IMNSHO.

So have I committed two counts of bagel sacrilegiousness?  First by choosing one not certified by the Bagel Board of NYC as normal?  Like plain, marble, pumpernickel, egg, onion, or at most everything?  I kept looking for jalapeno but no dice.  And second, for toasting it?

Not that I care, just curious. :D I saw a tv show yesterday where they showed the essential ingredient in a good bagel is boiling it before baking for a nice crust, and I doubt that happened with this one either.  But whatever, it was darn good!  It did have a very nice crust. :)

28 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

?The local bagel place has a cinnamon sugar chocolate chip bagel that is fantastic!  I don't indulge in sugar THAT often, but this is wonderful - nice big tasty crystals.  Toasted, and today I had cream cheese on it, but normally I have butter which complements it much better, IMNSHO.

So have I committed two counts of bagel sacrilegiousness?  First by choosing one not certified by the Bagel Board of NYC as normal?  Like plain, marble, pumpernickel, egg, onion, or at most everything?  I kept looking for jalapeno but no dice.  And second, for toasting it?

Not that I care, just curious. :D I saw a tv show yesterday where they showed the essential ingredient in a good bagel is boiling it before baking for a nice crust, and I doubt that happened with this one either.  But whatever, it was darn good!  It did have a very nice crust. :)

A bagel once a wk. or a few per month can't be awful stuff.

True story this past wk.:  After work, I went to Tim Horton's for a toasted jalapeno cheese bagel with a bit of butter. The server, who told me she was training, noticed hard lumps of butter in tiny paper cups.  So she took 2 and put them into the microwave.  Within seconds, there were.....2 tiny candles of fire in the microwave. ?? LOL.  She shut off the microwave and opened it...  I guess for some people, microwave oven is for heating anything. ?

After consulting another worker, the bowl of soft butter was beside the bagel holder for slicing. 

Just now, ChrisL said:

There is a cafe near a trail head I ride that does a faboulous lox bagel with a thick slice of tomato, red onion & cream cheese.  I usually only eat 1/2 the bagel and pile the good stuff from the other 1/2 on it.

Freaking tasty

Yes, I love those!

The sacrilege is the sweet bagel not the fact you toasted it.  We are having lox on everything bagels with brie, capers, lettuce and tomato for dinner tonight,   I blame LongJohn and his thread about buying a cart full of smoked salmon.

• Awesome 1