REI Announces New Affordable, Co-op Branded Full Suspension Trail Bikes

Page Turner

I've never been overwhelmed by REI as an LBS.  They carry Cannondale at the three near me (one by work, two by my house), but can't say I like the way they are just sort of "there" without much in the way of bike-specific staff.  The DC one is a little better simply because it is fairly large and the bike section is pretty big, but still not remotely as nice as a dedicated shop like @Old#7's.

• Heart 1

Yeah REI is an unusual set up. Their “bike stuff” tends to be higher end but the staff don’t seem very knowledgeable.  

I saw that article and think it’s a nice bike at a good price point.  But then a newbie mtn biker won’t get the bike set up properly for them...

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I've never been overwhelmed by REI as an LBS.  They carry Cannondale at the three near me (one by work, two by my house), but can't say I like the way they are just sort of "there" without much in the way of bike-specific staff.  The DC one is a little better simply because it is fairly large and the bike section is pretty big, but still not remotely as nice as a dedicated shop like @Old#7's.

REI also doesn't have Jens Voigt stopping in for a meet and greet next Monday either. I got tickets before they ran out. I was asked if I could work Monday so I'll get paid to meet Jens too. Win-win.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Old#7 said:

REI also doesn't have Jens Voigt stopping in for a meet and greet next Monday either. I got tickets before they ran out. I was asked if I could work Monday so I'll get paid to meet Jens too. Win-win.

As your +1, I will invite him for a coffee afterwards.  I know a cool shop right around the corner.

On 3/4/2019 at 3:53 PM, ChrisL said:

Yeah REI is an unusual set up. Their “bike stuff” tends to be higher end but the staff don’t seem very knowledgeable.  

Agree. I've bought stuff from REI, but I know what I'm buying. I also like the tent I bought last year from the other side of the store. They have good stuff.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:56 PM, Razors Edge said:

I was surprised/happy to know they carry Cannondale. Not CAAD10 line when I was buying, but they could get one shipped to the store per their website. For a bike though I use the LBS. Although I could of had them order me one. I knew what I wanted. Prices are most likely fixed. I got some money off when I bought my CAAD10 & CAADX despite being new bikes that the LBS had to order. But I am glad they carry  name brand good bikes like Cannondale.

9 hours ago, dennis said:

Bontrager. Is this a Trek spinoff or just accessories?

In a nutshell, Keith Bontrager designed components for Trek, and IIRC Trek owns the brand now, and he may be involved somehow. He's a really interesting guy to read up on though and had involvement in other bike brands too.

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

In a nutshell, Keith Bontrager designed components for Trek, and IIRC Trek owns the brand now, and he may be involved somehow. He's a really interesting guy to read up on though and had involvement in other bike brands too.

Thanks, I know what and who Bontrager is, but the announcement is vague. Will REI be selling Bontrager accessories(clothing, helmets, lights etc) or actual bikes branded as Bontrager(something that currently does not exist)?

Agree. I've bought stuff from REI, but I know what I'm buying. I also like the tent I bought last year from the other side of the store. They have good stuff.

I buy a LOT of stuff from the other areas of the store (and some bits from the cycling section), so I am in there often enough.  When I tried out the Kickr last winter, I was able to return it simply when I decided indoor cycling remained crappy even with a smart trainer and Zwift.  Nice for sure.  REI has great customer service and I get that dividend check each year. :D

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

REI has great customer service and I get that dividend check each year. :D

This is awesome. I should be getting mine shortly I recon. Back in 2013 they exchanged my Garmin Edge 500 after a firmware update froze the damn thing up. Luckily its old now and no updates are available :)

4 hours ago, dennis said:

Thanks, I know what and who Bontrager is, but the announcement is vague. Will REI be selling Bontrager accessories(clothing, helmets, lights etc) or actual bikes branded as Bontrager(something that currently does not exist)?

IDK, are there Bontrager branded bikes?

I got the feeling it was gonna be all the Bontrager accessories that a normal Trek shop sells. Not bikes, just bike-related stuff.  But maybe Trek is looking to expand into REI without violating some sales agreements with all their LBS, and they can do that by selling Bontrager branded bikes. It's not like they can sell Lemond anymore.  

I doubt it is bikes though. Just the usual components and clothing stuff.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

There are not. That's why I was asking. Keith Bontrager was a frame builder. Trek bought out his company and branded everything except frames with his name. 

I got the feeling it was gonna be all the Bontrager accessories that a normal Trek shop sells. Not bikes, just bike-related stuff.  But maybe Trek is looking to expand into REI without violating some sales agreements with all their LBS, and they can do that by selling Bontrager branded bikes. It's not like they can sell Lemond anymore.  

I doubt it is bikes though. Just the usual components and clothing stuff.

Do you think Trek has sales agreements with local shops that would prohibit them doing anything they want. They steamroller shops,  just like Specialized. Remember the Fisher mess. They screwed shops. It's the Trek way or the highway.

It's not that I care. I don't shop at REI. I'm not even sure how many hours I would have to drive to get to one. There are too many local shops around here that carry they stuff they sell. REI is a fine company and they are quite good at what they do. I can usually find what I need locally.

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, dennis said:

I can usually find what I need locally. 

For many of us, they are local, so we're happy. 

Trek may or may not steamroll LBS - no one has to deal with Trek or Specialized.  I would assume that there are some sorts of geographical agreements in place which certainly constrain the LBS side of things but also may restrict Trek in some way.  Maybe @Old#7 can ask his boss?

For many of us, they are local, so we're happy. 

Trek may or may not steamroll LBS - no one has to deal with Trek or Specialized.  I would assume that there are some sorts of geographical agreements in place which certainly constrain the LBS side of things but also may restrict Trek in some way.  Maybe @Old#7 can ask his boss?

The shop I’m at, Spokes Etc, sells both Trek and Specialized bikes and equipment. Trek never liked the arrangement but we are in their top dealer list nationwide so they have no complaints. Trek recently opened a “Trek” store in Arlington VA. They’re welcome to compete but won’t match us in sales and service. Their bikes are priced same as ours and we treat our customers better. We are also a top Specialized dealer and do a good job with Seven and Gunnar bicycles. Apparel is split between Bontrager and Pearl Izumi

• Awesome 1

On 3/7/2019 at 6:28 PM, dennis said:

There are not. That's why I was asking. Keith Bontrager was a frame builder. Trek bought out his company and branded everything except frames with his name. 

From BRAIN:

REI also was an Electra dealer since before Trek bought that brand in 2014. The Electra connection is what led to the Bontrager agreement, said Trek's Eric Bjorling.

"For us, REI's been a good Electra retailer for a long time. When we purchased Electra we made Bontrager available to all Electra retailers and REI is no different," Bjorling said. He said there are no plans to sell Trek bikes through REI.

Bontrager parts & accessories will be available at REI starting March 14.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...