Is Asthma Another Made Up Thing?

Razors Edge

I have it. It’s not made up. They gave me this wonderful test 6 years ago to see if they could induce an asthma attack. It worked.

But it is probably not the main source of my lung decline. At best my lungs are around 80%. But when they decline from there it’s not fun. 

Only had one scary attack when I was about 12. Rushed to the doctor who gave me a shot which stopped it. 

23 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I have it. It’s not made up. They gave me this wonderful test 6 years ago to see if they could induce an asthma attack. It worked.

But it is probably not the main source of my lung decline. At best my lungs are around 80%. But when they decline from there it’s not fun. 

Only had one scary attack when I was about 12. Rushed to the doctor who gave me a shot which stopped it. 

Is it possible to build new lung tissue?

52 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

The good old lung function test. I had one a few years back. I imagine it could replace water boarding as a torture

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

Is it possible to build new lung tissue?

Not that I know of.  Lung Transplants are a possibility, but I'm not anywhere near that level of problem.  I've been hovering around 80% for about 7 or 8 years.  It's when I get sick that it decreases from there and is really unpleasant.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Chris... said:

The good old lung function test. I had one a few years back. I imagine it could replace water boarding as a torture

Are you talking about a pulmonary function test where you blow into a tube for about 6 seconds as hard as you can.  I do that every 3 months and see stars by the time I'm done. Not fun.

This is what I had done:

Methacholine challenge test: This lung function test for asthma is more commonly used in adults than in children. It might be performed if your symptoms and screening spirometry do not clearly or convincingly establish a diagnosis of asthma. Methacholine is an agent that, when inhaled, causes the airways to spasm (contract involuntarily) and narrow if asthma is present. During this test, you inhale increasing amounts of methacholine aerosol mist before and after spirometry. The methacholine test is considered positive, meaning asthma is present, if the lung function drops by at least 20%. A bronchodilator is always given at the end of the test to reverse the effects of the methacholine.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I had it as a kid and it REALLY sucks!  My poor brothers had it much mo worser. Pretty hard to sleep when you can't 4{#%^*#} breath!  Katz used to affect me the same way but I think that is better now. At least I don't instantly suffocate when I see a kat now. 

Cats are one of my triggers. I can't even look at cat posts on Facebook.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Methacholine challenge test: This lung function test for asthma is more commonly used in adults than in children. It might be performed if your symptoms and screening spirometry do not clearly or convincingly establish a diagnosis of asthma. Methacholine is an agent that, when inhaled, causes the airways to spasm (contract involuntarily) and narrow if asthma is present. During this test, you inhale increasing amounts of methacholine aerosol mist before and after spirometry. The methacholine test is considered positive, meaning asthma is present, if the lung function drops by at least 20%. A bronchodilator is always given at the end of the test to reverse the effects of the methacholine.

that's the one I had

Just now, Kzoo said:

Please have him update us.  I need to make arrangements to get your stuff.

I like the direct "dibs on your stuff" approach more.  Less empathetic and much more harsh and brittle.  Shows that all you care about is the stuff.  Your new namby pamby method leaves room for doubt, albeit not much room, but room none the less.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I like the direct "dibs on your stuff" approach more.  Less empathetic and much more harsh and brittle.  Shows that all you care about is the stuff.  Your new namby pamby method leaves room for doubt, albeit not much room, but room none the less.

You're right.

Hey, DeathJim send me your address and tell Carla to leave the door unlocked if she has to stop by the funeral home.  I'm gassing up the truck as we speak.

Better?

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You're right.

Hey, DeathJim send me your address and tell Carla to leave the door unlocked if she has to stop by the funeral home.  I'm gassing up the truck as we speak.

Better?

I am okay with it, but "dibs on your stuff" still reigns supreme.

16 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I am okay with it, but "dibs on your stuff" still reigns supreme.

Dibs is OK but it implies a statement in time.  It's like calling shotgun.  In my case I don't have to call dibs - I have dibs.

If the timing is right I swing by SW's place and get his stuff, then a stop at @Airehead when the e coli gets her and then on to DeathJim's.  I figure with good weather, 36 hours tops and I'm back in Kalamazoo with their my stuff.

• Heart 1