where do I begin

SuzieQ

I used Home Depot for my kitchen remodel. Not the cheapest but they have consultants who will go over everything and their contractors did the work as priced on time and it turned out awesome.

My neighbor went to a less than reputable guy who took her money, didn’t finish the job and she had to hire another guy to finish it and it looks like crap.

• Heart 1

I interviewed a contractor today - but I'm still clueless when it comes to pricing. I'm thinking I need to go cabinet and counter shopping and see how much that costs.

What percentage do you think labor should be?

@BR46 I wish I could do this myself!! 

Small grease fire......insurance claim :whistle:

Seriously...yeah...contractor..with good references or recommended by someone.... Maybe you can borrow @Chris... didn't he re-do his kitchen and his daughters?  Are to talking taking down walls? and gutting it..or just new cabinets, flooring and plumbing?  Just writing those words  made the $$$$$$$$$$pop :wacko:

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, SuzieQ said:

I interviewed a contractor today - but I'm still clueless when it comes to pricing. I'm thinking I need to go cabinet and counter shopping and see how much that costs.

What percentage do you think labor should be?

@BR46 I wish I could do this myself!! 

When I did construction, labour was about the same as materials for kitchen renos.  That was a long time ago though.  People would then ask "How much if I help?"  I would say "Twice that!" :) 

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

...cabinet prices are all over the map, depending on what you pick. There are certainly different levels of quality, with regard to construction and materials.  I liked the kitchen layout we have in this house, and wanted to preserve the original 1951 tile countertops and backsplashes.

So I too went to Home Depot and used their Cabinet door replacement and refacing contractor.  The doors had some delamination issues, so we eventually had them replaced, under a materials only warranty.  But all in all it was quicker, cheaper , and easier then doing an entire tear out and reinstallation, which I did in the last house.  ON that one, I hired one of my friends from the fire department to do custom cabinets, because he does that stuff.  And I did a lot of the plumbing and electrical updating myself.  I still ended  up hiring another contractor to do some of the stuff.  If you do a tear out and replace, that's the time to evaluate whether the plumbing and wiring is so old it's advisable to tear some holes in the walls (and sometimes the floor) to replace some of that stuff.  

That last house where I did the total removal still had some knob and tube wiring, and a lot of the plumbing was original from the 1920's.

• Heart 2

OMG @SuzieQ my friend the water color artist..the South African transplant...just bought an old house in Ste Genevieve, Missouri and posted pics it's an old brick place..I think on the Mississipi (I have yet to map it)..They are DIY-ing the project...she has a husband and some experienced friends..OMG..near old brick home but oh wow the work...

That's it..you need talented friends! 

• Heart 1

How are your cabinets?  We repainted ours and they are dope now.  There is a rustoleum kit from the home depot that you can use.  New paint and new hardware and they are all different now.  You can do this.  Then paint the walls.  Grab you some new appliances and have them delivered and installed.  Then you can rip out the old floor and install a laminate floor.  They are easy, durable, and look dope as shit.  Do that.  Then finally have someone put a new counter top on.  You can add little details like a back splash and stripper pole in the corner and you are set.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

How are your cabinets?  We repainted ours and they are dope now.  There is a rustoleum kit from the home depot that you can use.  New paint and new hardware and they are all different now.  You can do this.  Then paint the walls.  Grab you some new appliances and have them delivered and installed.  Then you can rip out the old floor and install a laminate floor.  They are easy, durable, and look dope as shit.  Do that.  Then finally have someone put a new counter top on.  You can add little details like a back splash and stripper pole in the corner and you are set.  

The cabinets are old and bad! I painted them when I moved in - they were puke brown yellow, I painted them grey and white - they really have to be replaced - everything does - even the ceiling which is plaster texture on crack

31 minutes ago, Airehead said:

You are likely talking 40 grand or more for what you want to do. Can you do it in stages?  Start with ceiling and make sure it isn't structural. 

? $40!! Can’t be!

? good thinking Aire - maybe tackle ceiling and lighting first

7 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

The cabinets are old and bad! I painted them when I moved in - they were puke brown yellow, I painted them grey and white - they really have to be replaced - everything does - even the ceiling which is plaster texture on crack

I would embrace the retro look. :)

8 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

? $40!! Can’t be!

? good thinking Aire - maybe tackle ceiling and lighting first

40 G is high end, having someone else do it.  You can buy cabinets pretty cheaply and finish them yourself.  The Home Depot.  Sure, they're not as nice or sturdy as custom, but a heck of a lot better than what you're starting with I'm sure.  A lot depends on the size of the place.  It's very reasonable to do it all for 10 grand (assuming there is no structural stuff going on) by yourself. 

47 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

40 G is high end, having someone else do it.  You can buy cabinets pretty cheaply and finish them yourself.  The Home Depot.  Sure, they're not as nice or sturdy as custom, but a heck of a lot better than what you're starting with I'm sure.  A lot depends on the size of the place.  It's very reasonable to do it all for 10 grand (assuming there is no structural stuff going on) by yourself. 

40G is quite high! I agree, don't need high end kitchen cabinets. They aren't furniture you'll be climbing on. (Unless you're vertically challenged and need something on the top shelf. Don't ask me how I know this)

Shop around. I'm sure it can be done within a reasonable price. If not, Wo46 and I will come over and help out. :)

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, smudge said:

40G is quite high! I agree, don't need high end kitchen cabinets. They aren't furniture you'll be climbing on. (Unless you're vertically challenged and need something on the top shelf. Don't ask me how I know this)

Shop around. I'm sure it can be done within a reasonable price. If not, Wo46 and I will come over and help out. :)

My daughter is a force to be reckoned with on the mound and a basketball court.  This suits her well for athletic endeavors.  But basically means that she is a bull in a china shop.  She pulled a cabinet door off while opening it  not long ago.  I thought no big deal, a screw pulled out of a hinge.  I can put some putty in, get a bigger screw and fix it easy.  Nope.  She pulled the damn door apart.  Separated the bastard, part of it still attached to the hinge, part still in her hand.  Simply fix, I glued back together and put a ratchet strap around it for 24 hours.  good as new.  Probably shoddy glue from the factory anyways! 

You made me think of that story talking about climbing on cabinets.  I am sure she was pulling herself up to do just that. 

• Heart 2

19 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

My daughter is a force to be reckoned with on the mound and a basketball court.  This suits her well for athletic endeavors.  But basically means that she is a bull in a china shop.  She pulled a cabinet door off while opening it  not long ago.  I thought no big deal, a screw pulled out of a hinge.  I can put some putty in, get a bigger screw and fix it easy.  Nope.  She pulled the damn door apart.  Separated the bastard, part of it still attached to the hinge, part still in her hand.  Simply fix, I glued back together and put a ratchet strap around it for 24 hours.  good as new.  Probably shoddy glue from the factory anyways! 

You made me think of that story talking about climbing on cabinets.  I am sure she was pulling herself up to do just that. 

OMG this is my son!  He’s pretty much destroyed the door jam and door knob mechanism in his bedroom door, destroyed the front door knob handle, broke two microwaves (the house shakes when he closes them), broke our couch from diving on it and I’m surprised he hasn’t collapsed the stairs as it sounds like a heard of Buffalo whenever he goes up or down them.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

OMG this is my son!  He’s pretty much destroyed the door jam and door knob mechanism in his bedroom door, destroyed the front door knob handle, broke two microwaves (the house shakes when he closes them), broke our couch from diving on it and I’m surprised he hasn’t collapsed the stairs as it sounds like a heard of Buffalo whenever he goes up or down them.

My daughter's middle name is Grace.  She is NOT graceful at all. 

• Haha 1