Chicks are hard on shoes!

Wilbur

Damn!  WTH are you doing with these?  

I exclaim as my daughter asks me if her boots can be shined...

Leather scraped of the heels in places, surface of leather worn off he toes..  I am sure there are quarry workers with less damaged footwear. 

Enough complaining, I now have a mission. 

• Heart 1

I wear sneakers to work now.  Since my ankle went off the deep end, I had to retire all of my hooker shoes.  Sad day.  Also, I wear these sneakers to workout in the gym too.  I bought them last Fall.  They are totally worn out.  The foam is packed out already.  

My Mother always have told me that I was hard on shoes.

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

My wife is hard on shoes but my daughter is meticulous with them.  She was wearing some white Converse shoes recently and I asked if those were new?  New, no these things are years old!?!?  They still looked new to me.

It really depends on the person, their mannerisms and their activity level.  For me, all my shit is thrashed hard.  ?

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

My great grandfather, grandfather and mother were all excellent painters as is one of my daughters.  It skipped a generation at me though. :( 

I thought I was terrible too.  The first paintings were very rough.  They are getting better all the time.  The people in my office await the next art drop.  

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Shining shoes is therapeutic.  I find it very relaxing. :) 

A stint in the Navy can cure that.

True story (this ain't no shit in "navy dialect")

On my last day in the Navy I was unfortunate enough to have a duty day.  I was tapped for a watch on the tender that was handling my pay and discharge paperwork and where I had worked for the Squadron Repair Officer.  Oops, I packed most of my stuff yesterday and at home packed away were my "dress shoes".  All I had aboard were my work shoes which were not regulation for watch standing.  I polished them a well as possible and went to stand the watch assuming that I would skate through and leave the navy the next morning.  Nope.  Along comes the "chief of the boat" who had a hardon for me for years as I didn't belong to him and often took my crew away from his work details for other duty.  Being in full asshole mode he orders me to the ships store and makes me buy a pair of dress shoes, spitshine them and stand the rest of my watch and also that of the sailor who relieved me while I was shining shoes.

The next day I was discharged from the Navy and left town leaving behind a chief petty officers automobile with 4 flat tires.  There were reasons I didn't make the navy a career after two enlistments.

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Shining shoes is therapeutic.  I find it very relaxing. :) 

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

After having done it for hours on end I don’t find it therapeutic at all... Ironing my clothes does tho.

You guys are weird. 

I do wish I was taught to care for shoes much earlier, I don’t think many people are.  I think I was remarkably ignorant about it, still am I suppose.  My nice shoes get shoe trees and cloth bags, though, and I will have them the rest of my life. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

You guys are weird. 

I do wish I was taught to care for shoes much earlier, I don’t think many people are.  I think I was remarkably ignorant about it, still am I suppose.  My nice shoes get shoe trees and cloth bags, though, and I will have them the rest of my life. 

How?  

They get scuffed, scratched and scraped.  No way could a pair of shoes last my life.  They don't even last 5 years for me.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

You guys are weird. 

A good pair of shells will last two or three generations if cared for!  Some hobo will get mine but he will have well dressed feet. 

• Heart 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

How?  

They get scuffed, scratched and scraped.  No way could a pair of shoes last my life.  They don't even last 5 years for me.

Women's shoes aren't made to last a lifetime.  It is one of those inequity things.  Women fashions change whereas a good pair of brogued, blucher wing tips will never go out of style.   Women also kill their feet with heels so they are forced to move on. 

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Women's shoes aren't made to last a lifetime.  It is one of those inequity things.  Women fashions change whereas a good pair of brogued, blucher wing tips will never go out of style.   Women also kill their feet with heels so they are forced to move on. 

Fast fashion is evil.  It is taking over the clothing lines.  This is why I go to second hand stores.  I can find older clothing that will last.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Define cared for.  

Well, nourishment primarily.   If you start with a quality shell cordovan shoe, nourish it a couple times of year with mink oil, keep them waxed to protect them but strip that wax off with solvents twice per year to re oil them, remove creases with a deer bone a couple times per year, remove salt stains as they happen, and have them resoled when needed by a true professional, not some corner store hack, they will last.  

It takes me about three hours to strip, colour, moisturize and polish a pair of shoes.  Once done, they go on shoe trees and in velvet bags and a vented shoe box.  A normal clean and shine takes 20-30 minutes.   Never wear the same shoes two days in a row. 

29 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You guys are weird. 

We have guys who will shine your shoes all over town.  Seems a quick and easy job, and a reasonable one to outsource. NYC probably has similar on nearly every block in Manhattan.

30 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Define cared for.  

Yeah I don’t go to the level of Wilbur but I hit em with shoe polish a couple of times a month.  I don’t get Uber expensive shoes and replace them about every year.  

Thats for  my work shoes only.  

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah I don’t go to the level of Wilbur but I hit em with shoe polish a couple of times a month.  I don’t get Uber expensive shoes and replace them about every year.  

Thats for  my work shoes only.  

The old saying is that time is money.  Why waste time (money)?  A few shines done by myself, and I might as well consider just buying a new pair instead. Now, if I could offload that onto someone to do for free, heck yeah, I would do that.  I will say that if I show up to my dad's house with a dirty car, he will wash it for me :) I haven't tested shoes on him though as I usually am wearing sneakers when I visit him.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

The old saying is that time is money.  Why waste time (money)?  A few shines done by myself, and I might as well consider just buying a new pair instead. Now, if I could offload that onto someone to do for free, heck yeah, I would do that.  I will say that if I show up to my dad's house with a dirty car, he will wash it for me :) I haven't tested shoes on him though as I usually am wearing sneakers when I visit him.

Well truth be told my shine kit is at work...

For me it’s more about being put together and not looking like a ragamuffin at work or social functions.  Clothes always pressed, shoes clean & shined, fresh shave and hair neat.  Probably goes back to my military days and yeah I press my own clothes.  It was a matter of pride in the Old Guard so I have done it ever since.

Weekends around the house are another matter... 

When I did a two-week tour of China in 2001, we were allowed one suitcase that weighed 20 kg (44 lb) or less on our flights.  Accompanying a Virginia college professor and his wife was their college age niece who brought two huge overweight suitcases that were NEVER checked or charged for!

We guys took turns lugging them around.  After several days, someone asked, "Why did you bring two suitcases?"

"Well," she replied, "Obviously one is for shoes!"

Here she is posing in a window in the Great Wall of China, wearing sneakers, which is about all she needed for the whole tour since so much walking was always involved except while on the Yangtze River Cruise ship!

1361647675_VirginiaProfessorsNieceatGreatWall.JPG.70ddc37e35daef210dd863b7028fed1e.JPG

• Heart 1

So, I sanded the worn spots on the toes of my daughters boots, burnished them with a hammer, re-dyed them, moisturized them, put 2 coats of cream polish and two coats of paste wax on them.  They look good and it didn't interfere with my money.  I get to go earn that tonight.  :) 

• Heart 1