Jump to content

So Canada's healthier than U.S.


shootingstar
 Share

Recommended Posts



23 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Yeah but do Canadians have as much fun?

laughing.jpg

Let's define fun...?

 

23 minutes ago, smudge said:

And this surprises you how?  :):D

It doesn't....it freaks out some Canadians I know who go into various areas of U.S. and we cannot believe the ginormous size of some restaurant entrees or ..ice cream cones for a good price. 

Maybe we're saved by the fact, we have no tropical climate zones in a big country. Big meals, too much heat in  hinterland (not by the ocean) or too cold outside too often, makes people more lazy/stay indoors/use their cars instead of walking/biking or using transit.  Or living in sprawly cities that limits active transportation.  Observation of a simpleton...

So no, I can't quite see us no.2 as per 1 of the studies cited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe it was here, or maybe another  forum, a doctor said she "Would rather be in Canada to prevent health issues but in the US to treat them".  

With the exception of the healthier US states like CA, CO, VT etc, I find food , activity levels and homelessness to be better when related to health,  in Canada. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next question... Whose healthcare system is in better shape and will it remain that way?  Personally, I think ours is unsustainable under the current immigration policies and is no longer viable.  The primary difference is that access to healthcare is a right in Canada and a privilege in the US. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Next question... Whose healthcare system is in better shape and will it remain that way?  Personally, I think ours is unsustainable under the current immigration policies and is no longer viable.  The primary difference is that access to healthcare is a right in Canada and a privilege in the US. 

Our system is headed for a meltdown.

But immigration has nothing to do with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Next question... Whose healthcare system is in better shape and will it remain that way?  Personally, I think ours is unsustainable under the current immigration policies and is no longer viable.  The primary difference is that access to healthcare is a right in Canada and a privilege in the US. 

Actually, healthcare is a right is virtually EVERY advanced nation including Canada but not in the USA which spends 1 1/2 to 2 x the % of GDP for a nowhere-near-the-top product. 25% of U.S. heathcare dollars are spent on paperwork alone. When Taiwan went to universal healthcare in the 1990's, the commission set up to create it decided to use the USA's system as a model.  After a short study they recoiled in horror at the corruption and inefficiencies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

Actually, healthcare is a right is virtually EVERY advanced nation including Canada but not in the USA which spends 1 1/2 to 2 x the % of GDP for a nowhere-near-the-top product. 25% of U.S. heathcare dollars are spent on paperwork alone. When Taiwan went to universal healthcare in the 1990's, the commission set up to create it decided to use the USA's system as a model.  After a short study they recoiled in horror at the corruption and inefficiencies.

But, we get the best pharmaceuticals in the world at the best prices! A chemist can surely appreciate that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But, we get the best pharmaceuticals in the world at the best prices! A chemist can surely appreciate that!

By best you mean highest.

Sane countries negotiate the price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Try finding a young native-born American doctor :D  Thank god we have immigration!

Yeah, my Doc has a name that's hard to pronounce. Most of us just say Doctor K. No idea where he is from, don't care. I've had better, but he's ok.

As is so often the case, this is a numbers game. Paperwork alone costs billions every year. It's a trivial cost in Canada, or any country with a sane health care system. The health care costs of immigrants wouldn't make it into the top ten ways we screw up. Paperwork, failing to negotiate drug prices, the increased costs of insufficient routine health care, there are several things like that which will totally mess up the health care system once the Baby Boomers get a little older.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...