Jump to content

Are you hoarding plastic straws?


Randomguy
 Share

Recommended Posts



I'm hoarding many plastic large yogurt containers.  Hoping to give them to an organization who uses them for public events...these are pop-up street events.  To demonstrate ways to slow down traffic in residential streets.  And events for children drawing temporary chalk art on sidewalks, car-free areas on roads on weekends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I'm hoarding many plastic large yogurt containers.  Hoping to give them to an organization who uses them for public events...these are pop-up street events.  To demonstrate ways to slow down traffic in residential streets.  And events for children drawing temporary chalk art on sidewalks, car-free areas on roads on weekends.

I want this pile that's cleaned to be reused at least once before it goes into dump and sits around for the next 100 yrs.  I tried donating a pile of cleaned containers to a local children's art school. But they refused. ?  Sad when a good citizen can't be trusted.  Of course, I use 3-4 to store detergent, flour, cornflakes, tubes of art acrylic paint and art paint gels.

We have yogurt nearly daily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I carry my own eating utensils, re-usable water and hot beverage container, we re-use veg bags until they are too damaged to be viable (Note:  cloth bags completely suck for anything leafy), and mesh bags for heavier vegetables. We even re-use those mushroom bags that are made of paper.  

Part of the problem with using glass containers and mesh bags is that most groceries are not set-up to understand or accommodate for tare weight.  My bags have it listed right on the bag.  It becomes this huge Fing hassle.  It takes us so much longer to go through the checkout due to cashier stupidity. The store has told me it is a button on the checkout register.  However, their employees don't understand how to use it properly.  

Not sure I am even making a dent in the problems, but I try like hell to be the best I can for our Mother. It is a shame that our leaders don't seem to love her.

 

  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I haven't heard SW chime in on this yet, but you may be correct.  I was thinking it is more the "followers" not the leader, just doing the "easy" thing.

Rolling back environmental policies to benefit polluters is a sad state that we are in. 

I see what you are saying though.  If people don't change habits, it's like using a dixie cup to  bail out a boat that is sinking.  Still, I hold great hope that we will innovate, and make changes,  We have some very intelligent people on the planet.  Hopefully, we can go in a better direction and make the best of what we have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Rolling back environmental policies to benefit polluters is a sad state that we are in.  

I see what you are saying though.  If people don't change habits, it's like using a dixie cup to  bail out a boat that is sinking.  Still, I hold great hope that we will innovate, and make changes,  We have some very intelligent people on the planet.  Hopefully, we can go in a better direction and make the best of what we have. 

I personally plan to have my children and my children's children inherit an effed up mess of a planet.  That way I win, and those whiny azz lazy kids can suck it up! Kids are losers!

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

People seen to trust the bottle more than a safe local water source.

I don’t notice a strong chemical taste from the bottled water but whenever I have a restaurant bring me water and it is city tap water it tastes like water from a hot tub or swimming pool only stronger chlorine taste. Years ago they determined that drinking chlorinated water will kill you but I guess they haven’t found a better way to kill the e-coli bacteria that is in surface water that municipalities usually use. Living in the country has me spoiled. City folk tell me they can’t even taste the chlorine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I don’t notice a strong chemical taste from the bottled water but whenever I have a restaurant bring me water and it is city tap water it tastes like water from a hot tub or swimming pool only stronger chlorine taste. Years ago they determined that drinking chlorinated water will kill you but I guess they haven’t found a better way to kill the e-coli bacteria that is in surface water that municipalities usually use. Living in the country has me spoiled. City folk tell me they can’t even taste the chlorine.

Filters can remove chlorine pretty well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After a rough morning of running back and forth to town getting prescriptions and groceries and stuff I stopped at a local restaurant but didn’t trust their water so I had a glass of Dogfishhead beer they had on tap. It was disinfected with 16% alcohol. One of those was almost more than enough.

  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

After a rough morning of running back and forth to town getting prescriptions and groceries and stuff I stopped at a local restaurant but didn’t trust their water so I had a glass of Dogfishhead beer they had on tap. It was disinfected with 16% alcohol. One of those was almost more than enough.

That'll fix what ales ya!

  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It appears that I am hoarding bendy straws. When Mr. Aire was first home from the hospital he could not tip a glass I needed bendy straws to get fluids in him. I put out the word I needed some bendy straws ASAP because my Wegmans did not have them. Several kind people responded very quickly. We now have 8 boxes left after using many. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I don’t notice a strong chemical taste from the bottled water but whenever I have a restaurant bring me water and it is city tap water it tastes like water from a hot tub or swimming pool only stronger chlorine taste. Years ago they determined that drinking chlorinated water will kill you but I guess they haven’t found a better way to kill the e-coli bacteria that is in surface water that municipalities usually use. Living in the country has me spoiled. City folk tell me they can’t even taste the chlorine.

Our water filtration plant is changing it’s filters this month and has temporarily switched to/increased it’s chlorination. Just happened this morning for us. Can’t wait for that to end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our city has large wells. Water is abundant from what my well driller friend says. Honestly our country hip water was better. My friend told me he was impressed at the depth of the well at our first home here. The water is not bad here in town. Its just old city pipes as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...