Have you ever stopped to think..

Wilbur

9 minutes ago, Ltdskilz said:

Not since I moved about 65 miles away from the refineries and NASA and such. Do you think that's far enough? :dontknow:

Sure.  Mushroom clouds aren't nearly that big.  And if you are downwind just make sure you have a dust mask.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

They didn't put a Nike launch site near my home without reason.  Probably not as bad as living in one of the major cities but we always knew that there were valid targets just down the road.

As a kid I grew up about 10 miles from Plattsburgh AFB. At the time that base was #1 on the hit list. In school they made us do air raid drills. Like it really would have mattered.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

..there could be a Soviet era missile with your coordinates programmed into the guidance system? 

Nope I’m sure LA LA land has a couple targeted for it though.   I’m more concerned about a dirty bomb rendering the area a nuclear hazard for the next 1,000 years...

20 minutes ago, Zackny said:

As a kid I grew up about 10 miles from Plattsburgh AFB. At the time that base was #1 on the hit list. In school they made us do air raid drills. Like it really would have mattered.

Duck and cover meant that if the flash didn't blind you it was possible to avoid the heat and flying glass that was coming along soon.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Duck and cover meant that if the flash didn't blind you it was possible to avoid the heat and flying glass that was coming along soon.

And the zillion degrees 

11 minutes ago, Zackny said:

And the zillion degrees 

Not beyond a certain distance.  It's possible to survive outside the 100% fatal zone.  The annuls of Hiroshima note that some, surprisingly close to ground zero survived by luck and placement in relation to cover.  IMO duck and cover as taught in the schools back in the day was more to the point of surviving outside the fatal zone but inside the unaffected area.  My elementary school back then was a brick building but by far the most dangerous part was all those glass windows.