Retirement might have gotten closer today

Gump

1 hour ago, Zackny said:

We met with our financial planner today. My plan was to work til 62 but looking at our investments and the difference between going at 60 v 62, hard to justify staying those last two years. Where the heck did all that time go? ?

Great!

What's your healthcare options?

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Great!

What's your healthcare options?

My unused sick leave gets converted to $ to continue my coverage. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

39 minutes ago, Zackny said:

My unused sick leave gets converted to $ to continue my coverage. 

Our financial advisor told us to retire but Wo46 freaks out about what the cost of insurance. To get insurance at the same as what I have from my job is over $1,300 a month. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Our financial advisor told us to retire but Wo46 freaks out about what the cost of insurance. To get insurance at the same as what I have from my job is over $1,300 a month. 

I planned to work until I was 69 to keep insurance on my wife. She had always said when I retired she was going to retire. When I was 66 she told me she would keep working until she could get Medicare at age 65.

the health care is a BIG deal.  When dad retired I remember that he had a big cash payment for health care.  His current plan would just continue as it was until he dies, but it was like 120K if I remember right? 

I will probably have to work until I am 80. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

I would never have to pay that much if I bought add-on private health insurance in Canada.  

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Zackny said:

We met with our financial planner today. My plan was to work til 62 but looking at our investments and the difference between going at 60 v 62, hard to justify staying those last two years. Where the heck did all that time go? ?

Congratulations on the years of putting yourself in a position where you can make that decision!

When I was 56, I was having a lot of leg problems (now mostly healed!) and my sister asked what would be the difference between retiring then and retiring at 59 as I had planned. I told her it would mean being very frugal for a few years then I'd be in about the same position. She said, "Duh!" and that was it: I retired at 56.  The clincher was the fact I accepted and offer, out of the blue, for an unusual 4-year mortgage by Wells Fargo at age 52 that cut a few years off my mortgage and ended shortly after I retired.

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:
3 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I'm 44 and need to talk to someone who can make me more money so I can call it quits soon as possible.

100% this.

Meh. @bikeman564™ can still marry into money. Dottles, on the other hand, is screwed.

• Haha 1