Chess world in mourning.

MickinMD

Emma Picot of France closed her account today at chess.com, igniting a search for the new hottest looking active chess player with a seriously good rating (Emma is a formidable 1290 officially-rated player).

1009352657_EmmaPicothotFrenchchess.complayer.JPG.c0e1753d769288f4d601792bddfb23d8.JPG

Pam Pryder of York England (1400 rating) comes to mind.

20350446_PryderakaPamofYorkEnglandonchess_com.jpeg.34edeabdfe4ef26dcbe292fcbc2db89d.jpeg

So does Sophia Vergara who, as Gloria on Modern Family, easily beats Jay at chess:

Capture.JPG.bf838ebbac5ca55a43a1ab98285cd49c.JPGimages.jpeg.dfadf5b1853a1a8153d1db8e06969aa6.jpeg

Of course, the highest-rated woman player of all time (2600+), Hungarian Grandmaster Judit Polgar, isn't hard to look at and has, in officially rated, over-the-board, tournament competition, won games against every World Champion since the 1960's and defeated Bobby Fischer in the '90's in a private match.  Unfortunately she has recently retired, in her 30's.

hqdefault.jpg.9419123bcaac2f42befa764dc611f160.jpg

__Judit-gary.jpg

37 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

How old was she when she beat Fischer? 18?

I think she was in her early 20's.  She was born in 1976, achieved the Grandmaster title in 1991 around age 15, and Bobby supposedly played her at her parents' house in the late '90's where he later admitted he lost, but didn't say exactly when and where the match was held. She has kept quiet about it, apparently having agreed to do so. At her peak, she was rated one of the top 10 players in the world. I wasn't clear about her retiring in my OP - she was in her 30's when she retired but she's 42 now.  She still does commentary of World Championship matches, etc. She was the only commentator reported, during the game, to say World Champ Carlsen was going to draw in a game he was behind in material to Caruana last year, a game that would probably have given Caruana the World Championship. Carlsen managed to draw as Polgar foresaw.

• Awesome 1

30 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

won games against every World Champion since the 1960's and defeated Bobby Fischer in the '90's in a private match.  Unfortunately she has recently retired, in her 30's

I'd  kick her ass.  I say this with assurance because on the Vista OS chess game, I win 70% of the time on level 4.  I am pretty sure that makes me a grandmaster of some sort.  Maybe of funk or somesuch.

• Haha 2