Holy and unholy crap!

Randomguy

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

@BuffJim's team got The Squirrel from Dallas.  Cole Beasley earned that name in Dallas because trying to watch him run routes is like trying to watch a squirrel that got let loose in your living room.

Yeah, but my Steelers resigned a wide receiver.... wait, he went to Oakland.  But they resigned Le'Veon.... wait, he went to the Jets.

Man we are in trouble.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

It is natural that you would be jealous of Ohio, you are having the normal pangs of jealousy in that Ohio is better than MI in most ways, and you are stuck in MI.

Congratulations on your new-found normalcy.

You sir are delusional.

50 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Yeah, but my Steelers resigned a wide receiver.... wait, he went to Oakland.  But they resigned Le'Veon.... wait, he went to the Jets.

Man we are in trouble.

No worse than at the end of last season. Funny that Bell sat out an entire season of $14.5 million in order to gain just $2M in additional guaranteed salary, while paying an estimated $775k additional state income tax.

4 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

No worse than at the end of last season. Funny that Bell sat out an entire season of $14.5 million in order to gain just $2M in additional guaranteed salary, while paying an estimated $775k additional state income tax.

You are looking at it in the wrong way.  Yeah, he didn't have the income last year, but he didn't risk longer-term (relatively) security and more guaranteed money, and the man isn't bending his arm behind his back and telling him his name is now Toby.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Their locker room isn't big enough for the egos they are accumulating.

I thought this very thing last year about the Rams following free agency.  Didn't turn out that  way.

But still, for Cleveland, that  may be a spot on observation this year...not a lot of adults in the mix.  Hope not though, would like to see the Browns do well and give RG the 12 wins that covets.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You are looking at it in the wrong way.  Yeah, he didn't have the income last year, but he didn't risk longer-term (relatively) security and more guaranteed money, and the man isn't bending his arm behind his back and telling him his name is now Toby.

The Steelers have historically honored their contracts when injury occurs. They continue to pay Ryan Shazier $8.7M a year, despite his spinal cord injury a few seasons back. And they offered Bell long term deals. So his victim status is a bit low, in my books. What they wouldn't do, that he wanted, was to fully guarantee a huge amount, like $50M. For a guy with one prior positive drug screen and one missed test, and Instagram photos of rolling papers, he's a dirty urine away from a 1 year ban, and a dangerous bet to give guaranteed money to.

Just now, Kzoo said:

Shut. Your. Mouth.

#brownssuck

Getting all pissy isn't going to do a thing to make the once mighty franchise in Pittsburgh, mighty again.  As good as Rothlisberger is, he may just be a piece of shit human being.  Hard to get the stink off of that and make a leader out of him.

Give RG's team credit...they have gone from long-time laughing stock of the league, to having one of the most envied rosters in less than a year.  Things could all be re-set back to laughing stock in another 8 months...but for now, let 'em gloat.

8 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

would like to see the Browns do well and give RG the 12 wins that covets.

I actually would have liked to see them work through the draft, and thought 12 would come naturally that way.  OBJ has his good qualities, but has that whole receiver "look at me" mentality that is a bit of a pain in the ass.  I guess if they thought Peppers was never going to be a standout, a first and a third is pretty decent to get a guy like that, if he doesn't get hurt or butthurt about something.  Good trade for the Browns, I hope they realize that the NFL isn't going to roll over because they look good on paper.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

They are paying him a little over $450,000 this year, some minimum contract so healthcare is covered.  This is mighty fine of them.

Is it "just" $450,000? I know they are "tolling" his contract, which means his previous season's contract is kept in place for the following year, and I believe he got $8.7 M last year, despite being physically unable to perform... but maybe the salary gets adjusted in subsequent years to league veteran minimum? Yeah, they are doing it for healthcare and to maximize his pension.

Which is to say, if Bell had stayed with the Steelers, kept his urine tests clean, reported for work, the Steelers would have paid him the terms of his contract.

10 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

Getting all pissy isn't going to do a thing to make the once mighty franchise in Pittsburgh, mighty again.  As good as Rothlisberger is, he may just be a piece of shit human being.  Hard to get the stink off of that and make a leader out of him.

Give RG's team credit...they have gone from long-time laughing stock of the league, to having one of the most envied rosters in less than a year.  Things could all be re-set back to laughing stock in another 8 months...but for now, let 'em gloat.

It'll take 3 years before big second contracts start to kill them.  The fans will be insufferable very soon regardless.

That said, the Steelers are looking a bit thin these days.

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

Which is to say, if Bell had stayed with the Steelers, kept his urine tests clean, reported for work, the Steelers would have paid him the terms of his contract.

I don't know about that, Shazier is a bit of a one-off situation.  Life changing spinal injury is different than an injury that takes the edge off an explosive player.  I don't see the Steelers sticking with their other guy's especially since they absolutely refuse to include any guarantees after the first year of a contract.  I respect that Bell didn't like to be told what to do, and used the leverage he had to control his destiny to a point.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I don't know about that, Shazier is a bit of a one-off situation.  Life changing spinal injury is different than an injury that takes the edge off an explosive player.  I don't see the Steelers sticking with their other guy's especially since they absolutely refuse to include any guarantees after the first year of a contract.  I respect that Bell didn't like to be told what to do, and used the leverage he had to control his destiny to a point.

Can you recall a player that got cut by the Steelers with unpaid money on his contract? I can not. Not to say it hasn't happened, but the Steelers do tend to honor their contracts. And Bell's offer DID include guaranteed money paid after year one with the simple requirement of being on the roster in year 2 of the five year deal. 

If I ever sign a $50 M  fully guaranteed contract, I might very well not have a clean urine the following day/week/month/whenever, particularly if I'd get paid to stay away from work for the next year. Bell doesn't even need that insurance before he smokes his blunts. He hangs out with Snoop Dogg and thinks he's a rapper. 

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Can you recall a player that got cut by the Steelers with unpaid money on his contract? I can not. Not to say it hasn't happened, but the Steelers do tend to honor their contracts. And Bell's offer DID include guaranteed money paid after year one with the simple requirement of being on the roster in year 2 of the five year deal. 

If I ever sign a $50 M  fully guaranteed contract, I might very well not have a clean urine the following day/week/month/whenever, particularly if I'd get paid to stay away from work for the next year. Bell doesn't even need that insurance before he smokes his blunts. He hangs out with Snoop Dogg and thinks he's a rapper. 

Hmm, that makes it sound like you don't like Bell.  The truth of the matter is that the Steelers don't guarantee any money except the first year of a contract.  If there are if/then statements included, those aren't real guarantees.   I do think the Steelers do a better job than most in valuing the actual people in their employ, but they cut people just the same as other teams do when they are no longer as good or fit the team's salary cap.  They really aren't saints (they are in NO), just seemingly a little better than most.  

Btw, as stupid as pot prohibition is in the NFL, there are voiding clauses in most big contracts regarding discipline, substance abuse, ho beating, arrests, and putting ketchup on hot dogs.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I actually would have liked to see them work through the draft, and thought 12 would come naturally that way.  OBJ has his good qualities, but has that whole receiver "look at me" mentality that is a bit of a pain in the ass.  I guess if they thought Peppers was never going to be a standout, a first and a third is pretty decent to get a guy like that, if he doesn't get hurt or butthurt about something.  Good trade for the Browns, I hope they realize that the NFL isn't going to roll over because they look good on paper.

Who is their coach?

40 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Can you name one player who was cut because they weren’t playing up to their contract? Because I can’t.

Yeah, all the guys they cut or restructure at lower salaries.  You have to do that, guys get hurt and age and lose interest or motivation.  Steelers do that like any other team.

Kitchens is the Browns coach, btw, I am shocked you didn't know that off the top of your head.

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah, all the guys they cut or restructure at lower salaries.  You have to do that, guys get hurt and age and lose interest or motivation.  Steelers do that like any other team.

Kitchens is the Browns coach, btw, I am shocked you didn't know that off the top of your head.

So you can’t name a single player, either.  I was going to say James Harrison, but that was a mutual decision to release him because he wasn’t playing. Steelers would have deactivated him but still payed him for the duration of his one season contract, but he wanted to go out and find another team.

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

So you can’t name a single player, either.  I was going to say James Harrison, but that was a mutual decision to release him because he wasn’t playing. Steelers would have deactivated him but still payed him for the duration of his one season contract, but he wanted to go out and find another team.

Look, you put 90 guys on contract when training camp opens, and 90 guys don't get the balance of their contract.  That is how the league works, and the Steelers are a bunch of midwestern ass-fuckers like any other team in the league, except the Steelers have no guarantees past year one, that is how they work.  It is factual.  It is documented.  Their shit stinks.  I won't have undue worship of a sainted franchise that is better or more holy than all the others.  They are nicer than some, but it seems a whole lot of guys there hold out or don't want to be there for some reason.  Some of it is the players, some of it is the team.  It will be interesting to see how they do this year.

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

They are nicer than some, but it seems a whole lot of guys there hold out or don't want to be there for some reason.  Some of it is the players, some of it is the team.  It will be interesting to see how they do this year.

Sure, players get cut in camp all the time. But I can’t recall an established player on a long term contract that had their contract terminated because their play had slipped and they weren’t fitting into team plans anymore. That is why Bell’s argument falls flat. He would have had the same guaranteed money by year 2 of his 5 year deal, as long as he didn’t get popped by the league for another drug offense. His take home pay on his Jets contract will be very similar to the Steelers offer, and COL in NY/NJ >>>>> than PGH. So yeah, he’ll like the party scene more, but have less at the end of the year.

Bell wanted to be paid a combined total salary of both a WR AND RB, and wanted to revolutionize the way RBs are paid. AB wanted to be the highest paid WR in football, despite having 3 years left on a contract and having already received his large signing bonus. With a number of on and off the field issues, culminating in AB skipping practice the week 17, getting benched and then leaving the stadium at half-time, AB is a massive train wreck. 

The NFL contract system needs to be overhauled. All contracts need to be guaranteed, like any other contract in life. It would hold everyone to be far more accountable than current. 

10 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

He would have had the same guaranteed money by year 2 of his 5 year deal, as long as he didn’t get popped by the league for another drug offense. His take home pay on his Jets contract will be very similar to the Steelers offer, and COL in NY/NJ >>>>> than PGH. So yeah, he’ll like the party scene more, but have less at the end of the year.

Bell wanted to be paid a combined total salary of both a WR AND RB, and wanted to revolutionize the way RBs are paid

It wasn't guaranteed in the second year if he wasn't on the roster, so no guarantee existed, so no longer term security.  That is what he wanted, plus a big bag of cash.  He wasn't a partier, though, I don't think that matters to Bell at all.  I think Bell just wanted to be the highest paid running back in the league, but that was a wish that wasn't as strong as guaranteed money wish. 

I think his worth is at the highest paid running back plus a little, but the market wasn't there, especially as Gurley is showing major knee trouble and a shortened window.  If he isn't a $15M back anymore, he will get cut or restructured pretty soon.  Bell is definitely better than Gurley, although I would say Elliot is the better of either.  Folks are afraid of wear and tear at RB, definitely.

If I were Bell, I would have played last year after sitting out camp and some games, then gotten the hell out of Pittsburgh.

25 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

He wasn't a partier, though

What are you talking about? You've obviously never seen any of his social media posts. He spent all of last season clubbing in South Beach.

25 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I would have played last year after sitting out camp and some games, then gotten the hell out of Pittsburgh

That would have been a reasonable route to take, he'd have gotten paid $800,000 a week, and I believe that was his initial plan (and what he had done the previous season). But then ego got in the way, and James Connor started putting up better numbers that he had. No way was he coming back to less than full star status. 

I think it will be awesome when his stats suck because he's on the Jets and they lose a lot.

5 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think it will be awesome when his stats suck because he's on the Jets and they lose a lot.

I think he will be fine in NY, but the Jets need some big play receivers.  I don't think they have that yet, but I am not sure who they signed as a FA.  Connor seemed good, but then he slowed down.  We will see, but the Steelers seem a bit on a slide, especially with jerkface getting older.

• 3 weeks later...