Tell us about your hip problems.

Wilbur

I have arthritis in my hips, especially the right one.  When I sit for a while and then get up to walk the first steps are always painful and I often get a nice loud pop!  It doesn’t affect my riding tho.

That I recall Floyd Landis competed at a very high level for years with a bad hip requiring replacement. I remember him saying in an interview, the only thing that didn’t hurt was riding.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Deep ache. Felt like I was sitting on an acorn. Inability to lift my leg high enough under its own power to get in the truck (I had to grab my pant leg & lift it up). Bending forwards while standing rotated the spur through the socket & would light me up shortly afterwards. Unable to sleep on either side.

1st ortho doc had me on 4x Advil, 3 times per day. Cardiologist was not happy.

Cycling was not too bad, surprisingly.

I was increasingly miserable, I had total replacement ~5 years after initial diagnosis. FWIW, in that first diagnosis, I was bone on bone.

Arthritis pain was gone immediately. They had me up walking & up/down stairs 3 hours post-op. PT guy came to the house 3 days/week for 2 weeks. I PT trained like a SEAL. Ditched the walker after the first day, used a cane. I set the watch to 1 hour repeats: got out of the chair; peed; lap around the downstairs; 1 set of all the PTs the PT guy had given me to that point; refilled the water bottle; sat back down; repeat. I was on the trainer ~day 6 post-op.

I went back for my 3 week post-op. Doc was impressed. "Can I go back to work?" He frowned, "What do you do?" I told him, more frown. "No lifting >25 pounds", "OK". "No climbing ladders", my turn to frown. "How high can you lift your leg", I lifted the knee above my new hip. He grins, says "you are good to go."

Full release to work in 22 days post-op.

Excellent.  Clearly, I have a way to go to before surgery.  Impressive recovery!  

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have arthritis in my hips, especially the right one.  When I sit for a while and then get up to walk the first steps are always painful and I often get a nice loud pop!  It doesn’t affect my riding tho.

That I recall Floyd Landis competed at a very high level for years with a bad hip requiring replacement. I remember him saying in an interview, the only thing that didn’t hurt was riding.

About 10 years ago, during a bone scan, the Dr said I had hotspots in both hips.  Bone on bone contact.  He said it wasn't unusual for people who cycle a lot but was unusual for someone my age.  It isn't painful to ride at all but walking afterwards is, as is getting up after sitting for extended periods. 

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Excellent.  Clearly, I have a way to go to before surgery.  Impressive recovery!  

In retrospect, I should have done it ~2 years earlier. Doc was reluctant b/c of my relatively young age.

My advice is to have it done as soon as your doc says "yes". Fo2 walked around like Arte Johnson's Old Man character & when he had a double knee done, he never got out of the chair because he had lost all muscle tone & flexibility.

• Heart 1

In 2015, I had pain in my hip that basically stopped me from riding my bike or taking long walks for half a year - it was part of a series of hip/shoulder/ankle injuries that plagued me from 2015 through a shoulder operation in 2017 that required all of 2018 to heal.  Tomorrow - weather permitting - will be my first bike ride in 2 years.

My PCP thought the hip pain might be sciatic-nerve related, but it was more toward the outside of the hip. He referred me to Yalich Clinic, a combination physical therapist/chiropractor operation that is the official therapist to both the Baltimore Orioles and Ravens.

Yalich determined it was not sciatica but that, at some point in the past, I had torn the small hip muscle called the "TFL" and it had healed itself with scar tissue that put pressure on a nerve - I felt the pain more around the Iliac Crest, the hard rim bone around the outside of the hip.  Their cure was to partly re-tear the TFL to break-down the scar tissue through hard (painful) massage and then work on it with therapy for a few months to make sure it re-healed without a lot of scar tissue.

It worked.  There have been rare times when I've felt minor pain in that hip since then - including last week after a long walk, but it goes away within hours or by the next day and I don't think it's related to the TFL problem, just the aches and pains of normal exercise.

• Heart 2

51 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

About 10 years ago, during a bone scan, the Dr said I had hotspots in both hips.  Bone on bone contact.  He said it wasn't unusual for people who cycle a lot but was unusual for someone my age.  It isn't painful to ride at all but walking afterwards is, as is getting up after sitting for extended periods. 

Can you replace the pilots seat with a saddle?

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

How did it start?  

...like most people at the time, pot was the gateway drug.

How did it affect your cycling?

...cycling? What cycling ?

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

How bad did it get before it was fixed?  

58976651_TaxiLicense1978cropped.thumb.jpg.d0a1a9d8c567854163a0fa80f1eb20d1.jpg

What was the fix?  

...got a real job. :( 

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

How did it start?  How did it affect your cycling?  How bad did it get before it was fixed?  What was the fix?  

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Really...?  I guess it also depends on the person's overall bone structure in that area...?