Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Randomguy

The mall visit...

Recommended Posts

Malls are so 1980s. I went into Hudsons (yeah I still call it that) because they have a sun glass hut. I tried on a pair of Oakleys before I ordered them. Meh, so glad I don't go to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I don't know if malls are going to make it.

And they were probably thinking the same about you.

 

And yeah, like we're going judge the viability of malls across the country based on some dump in Cleveland.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Sad that malls are dying.  I loved the mall.  It should be a right of passage for all teens.  Thanks Amazon.

Some malls in MI were closed before Amazon, or least before they were well known (to me anyway). They've been going downhill for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Screw you Jeff Bezos!

As he's opening stores across the country.  

*KrAzY's boss.  He loves Jeff*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I just want to know if you grabbed someones pant leg, looked up, saw it wasn't your dad and screamed?   :) 

When my granddaughter was around two years old she had been taught to hold on to mom or dad’s hand in the mall so she didn’t get lost. My son looked to see where she went when they had left go of her hand for a minute while doing something. There she was standing there holding on to a mannequin’s hand thinking it was her mom’s. My son took her picture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

There will always be malls.  Maybe not as many and smaller scale more entertainment oriented.  They will have to reinvent themselves but people still like tactile shopping.  Screw you Jeff Bezos!

We have seen an increase in clustering of shopping centers and less malls.  

But having said that, SoCal has 2 malls that are just killing it, South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island. Both opened in the late 60’s but have reinvented themselves as high end destination shopping & dining.  No Targets or discount type stores and South Coast Plaza doesn’t have a food court but several nice & high end eateries dispersed in the mall.

We went to a different mall recently and it was about 60% occupied and looked really shabby. It’s dying with most of the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

We have seen an increase in clustering of shopping centers and less malls.  

But having said that, SoCal has 2 malls that are just killing it, South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island. Both opened in the late 60’s but have reinvented themselves as high end destination shopping & dining.  No Targets or discount type stores and South Coast Plaza doesn’t have a food court but several nice & high end eateries dispersed in the mall.

We went to a different mall recently and it was about 60% occupied and looked really shabby. It’s dying with most of the others.

I have been to both and they are perfect examples of what malls will succeed.  Aventura Mall in the Miami area is another good example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have been to both and they are perfect examples of what malls will succeed.  Aventura Mall in the Miami area is another good example. 

I live about a mile from South Coast and so you know Fashion island is nearby.  That’s my hood!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The closest mall to me is relatively small and still seems to be doing ok.  A few big stores closed, but they've been able to find other tenants.  If malls die, where will the calendar kiosk guy go?   However, my mall doesn't have an Orange Julius, so it's not a real mall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChrisL said:

I live about a mile from South Coast and so you know Fashion island is nearby.  That’s my hood!

Cool!  I used to fly into JWOC quite often.  Not so much any more.  More the LAX stuff nowadays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dead malls that haven’t been buried yet are interesting. The stores are gone but the fountains are still fountaining and they still polish the floors. Old folks still do laps around the mall for exercise. 

When I was in junior high there was a farm across the street from our school. I used to watch the cows out the window while the teachers were yacking about stuff. About the time I graduated they built a mall where that farm was. The farmer leased them the land on a 100 year lease. Just a month or so ago a judge turned the ownership of the mall back to the farmer because they defaulted on their lease payments. The mall is still open, it has a JC Penny and a pretzel shop still open. When they are gone they are going to have to do some serious plowing to get crops to grow again in that parking lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Cool!  I used to fly into JWOC quite often.  Not so much any more.  More the LAX stuff nowadays. 

My development is about a mile west of the north end of the runway.  I can set my clock to the engines spooling up for take off at 7 am every morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truthfully, the best malls in this area are Casinos.  As you have mentioned, there are no big box stores and alas no Orange Julius but instead there are some high end eating establishments and more mid level places.  There are shops, but they tend toward jewelry and high end clothing and hand bags because they are there to recover the winnings before people get back to the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

When I met my wife she was the assistant manager of the Earring Pagota in the middle of the cow pasture mall. 

How many piercings did you get before you worked up the nerve to ask her out?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

How many piercings did you get before you worked up the nerve to ask her out?

 

Ha ha, I never thought of that. I never saw her at work until we were well into our relationship. I met her when the ministerium was having a youth retreat and we were assigned to work together with the junior high kids from all of the area churches. It was another month or so before we started dating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Truthfully, the best malls in this area are Casinos.  As you have mentioned, there are no big box stores and alas no Orange Julius but instead there are some high end eating establishments and more mid level places.  There are shops, but they tend toward jewelry and high end clothing and hand bags because they are there to recover the winnings before people get back to the car.

There were 2 local malls, 1 closed 10 or 12 years ago and they knocked it down and built a Walmart.

The other has been hanging on but dying a slow death. They recently announced a casino is opening the space vacated by the Bon Ton. There are high end restaurants popping up around the mall and talk of hotel space. I don't know what the long term effect will be but short term it looks like a new life.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Womaxx worked for a lawyer years ago who was interested in buying a mall.........till they got into the sub basements and saw what the facility infrastructure looked like.  That "mall" is today the shining home of dollar stores and karate studios.  Dress warm.

On the other hand, if you ever get to Malaysia check out the malls under and around the Petronas Towers or the Sunway Mall in Kuala Lumpur.  Fantastic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...