OK Fatties...

Wilbur

17 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Not a single fatty ride report this winter.  Wha happened? 

Hey! I did one yesterday and reported it, complete with speed/heartrate graph! 4 miles at about 10 mph while moving isn't much of a ride but it counts - especially when my Garmin Edge 510 claims my top speed was 109.4 mph!

20190314_174534clar.sat900p.jpg.818539d8fbf182302929b305e91e06df.jpg

1533886269_2019_03.14FirstRidein2years.thumb.JPG.e82a8c9071b7be978f4c4af6b94def48.JPG

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, dennis said:

Surly sold the first Pugsley in 2005. I bought my first fatbike in 2010. Considering fatbike number three now. I guess that's fadish. 

I think they were all the rage a few years ago and saw several on our local trails too. People realized they suck balls outside of snow and ditched them.  They are still a thing for you snow lovers but not so much anywhere else.

Interesting that the “plus” thing kind of came & went too.  It’s all about 29’rs again...

Id like to do a fat bike ride in some of the places you ride! 

Just now, ChrisL said:

I think they were all the rage a few years ago and saw several on our local trails too. People realized they suck balls outside of snow and ditched them.  They are still a thing for you snow lovers but not so much anywhere else.

Interesting that the “plus” thing kind of came & went too.  It’s all about 29’rs again...

I'm not much of a single track guy, but they are fun on them too. Next winter I hope to hit some snowy single track, there are groomed trails :)

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I love riding my fatbike on singletrack. Big tires hookup like crazy.

Plus bikes are growing not shrinking in popularity. I've owned two. Both kick ass. Thinking about a SS plus bike next.

Or this new trend idea, hardtail for plus and fat tires with a narrow q-factor. I think you'll see more of these soon.

https://otsocycles.com/pages/voytek

http://www.bikepacking.com/index/29-plus-bikes/

http://www.bikepacking.com/bikes/plus-bikes/

Same bike with different builds and wheel/tire sizes weighing 21.4-25 lbs.

RyanKrueger_Otso_Votyek_Grey_Frame_Side_vf_2000px_1024x1024.jpg?v=1471414782

Voytek-Fat-Bike-Angles-4000px-v2_2048x2048.jpg?v=1471629991

• Heart 1

53 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Maybe my viewpoint is skewed by media and mtn bike rags I subscribe to but it seems there is fewer reviews & articles on plus bikes.  I got nothin against em, whatever you enjoy is cool with me!

Plus is fun. I'm digging 27.5 x 2.5.

From Joe Meiser:

Once I learned to trust the incredible traction and keep my fingers off the brakes, I found that I could maintain more speed through the corners. With the rollout of a 3.0” 29+ tire, I can pick nearly any line I would like through a rock garden and not have to worry about getting hung up on the front edge of a rock or in a gap between two. It stays on top of the rocks and roots. When it comes to climbing, the traction is incredible, and the effect of body position on the bike isn’t nearly as sensitive as when I am on a standard 29” tire. These characteristics paired with the suspension travel front and rear make it a bike that is great whether riding local trails or covering a long distance. I have visions of an overland motorcycle adventure when I am on Deadwood SUS. It’ll get rowdy when I need it, and I can turn the throttle wide open when I want.”

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Maybe my viewpoint is skewed by media and mtn bike rags I subscribe to but it seems there is fewer reviews & articles on plus bikes.  I got nothin against em, whatever you enjoy is cool with me!

Bicycle Magazine loves them, at least the expensive ones.

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Hey! I did one yesterday and reported it, complete with speed/heartrate graph! 4 miles at about 10 mph while moving isn't much of a ride but it counts - especially when my Garmin Edge 510 claims my top speed was 109.4 mph!

20190314_174534clar.sat900p.jpg.818539d8fbf182302929b305e91e06df.jpg

1533886269_2019_03.14FirstRidein2years.thumb.JPG.e82a8c9071b7be978f4c4af6b94def48.JPG

You win!  I was just going to say I really did not ride this winter.

• Heart 1